Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1335
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 70-400 prototype" Previous topic | Next topic
arbor54 Basic MemberMon 09-Oct-00 11:42 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 70-400 prototype"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-00 AT 01:44 AM (GMT)

This lens may be old news to all of you pros, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet. I was fortunate enough to get to examine Nikon's prototype 70-400 lens with a type of image stabilization function. I cannot remember what they called the system (vibration dampening?), but it was very interesting. After focusing on an object, even hand-held out to 400mm, you push the stabilization button and the image noticeably steadies. The lens was small and compact for it's focal length range. I do not know when it is due out, but I think the price is going to be in the $1400. to $1500. range (U.S.).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype
Mikepoison
10th Oct 2000
frankie
10th Oct 2000
arbor54
10th Oct 2000
timmy
01st Jan 2001
longlens Silver Member
19th Jan 2001
               Reply message RE: Nikon 80-400 VR
jrp Administrator
20th Jan 2001

Mikepoison Basic MemberTue 10-Oct-00 10:47 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype"
In response to Reply # 0

Amsterdam, NL

They referr to it as "vibration reduction" or VR for short. But I'm sure it's an 80-400 and not a 70-400... Did the image improve as well as they claimed? how much shutter-increase did you get with it? (the three stops that they promissed)

The problem with this lens is that it only fits the newest range of Nikons, being the F80, F100, F5, and the D1

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

frankie Basic MemberTue 10-Oct-00 10:48 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype"
In response to Reply # 0

Isn't that 80-400?

It's a nice lens. A proto was demonstrated up here and I got to hold it. It may be older than what you tried because when I tried it they hadn't worked out all the bugs yet - if you mouted it on a tripod, the lens would get confused and begin to pitch and yaw on its own (kinda funny - looked like really bad home-movies)...

Anyway, 1500$, Nikon is out of their tree, and will overlook some of the lower end of the market who might want one - I certainly wont be shelling out close to 2000$ canadian for a first generation optic like that..

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

arbor54 Basic MemberTue 10-Oct-00 02:51 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype"
In response to Reply # 2

It very well could be 80-400. It was being grabbed quickly and I was only able to examine it for a minute on an F5. interesting lens. The stabilization was noticeable. Not having been able to shoot w/it, I cannot speculate on how well it performs.

timmy Basic MemberMon 01-Jan-01 11:53 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype"
In response to Reply # 3

Rochester, US

It's 80~400mm (I bought one a few weeks ago). Naturally, I played with it a lot. I took some photos using Kodak's Technical Pan on "shutter" priority so I'd have an idea "just how slow can I go". At 1/60th, I could read a license plate on a car parked over 200 yards away (on the negative using a 40x microscope). I also discovered that it "likes" batteries. The lens has two "modes" of "vibration reduction" (VR): one is continuous, the other only when exposure is being made. Oh yea, there's a 3rd "mode" : off. Probably would be prudent to turn it off when using a tripod as someone earlier mentioned. Unless you're really bored and want some amusement, of course.

longlens Silver Member Charter MemberFri 19-Jan-01 10:49 PM
803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 70-400 prototype"
In response to Reply # 4

Pleasant Hill, US

Do you know of any objective comparisons for performance with similar (I don't think there is an exact duplicate)Canon focal length IS lenses? Most publications don't write up such comparisons, to avoid offending the loser (ad revenue!)but there may be something on the Internet. Artie Morris,bird photographer and Canon contract photographer,doesn't feel the Nikon VR matches Canon IS performance, but I have yet to see any objective data. The few VR images I have seen are spectacular.
Stan

Stan

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 20-Jan-01 02:31 AM
33927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon 80-400 VR"
In response to Reply # 5

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I am lucky to be the happy owner of one of these beauties.
I posted some haste samples shot recently.
I wish I had the time to do some more experimenting and comparing.
Maybe soon. In the meantime you could check those images at:
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=88&forum=DCForumID6&omm=18
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1335 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.