Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1330
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pronea 6si" Previous topic | Next topic
jlord911 Basic MemberMon 02-Oct-00 01:04 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pronea 6si"

I read a message on these discussion boards that said something to the effect of..."I know the people running this site don't approve of the Pronea or Pronea 6si..."
I've been using a Pronea 6si for the past year as my first SLR as I dive into photography with both feet and I love it... Is there something I'm missing???

Jim.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 02-Oct-00 03:02 AM
34854 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pronea 6si"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-00 AT 04:03 AM (GMT)

It is not that we don't aprove of the Pronea. It is the APS format that provides frequent dissapointments when enlargements are to be made. In fact I say somewhere that "... if you must somehow (use an APS), at least increase your chances for some success with a Nikon."
You may want to read the entire dissertation at FAQs - What camera to buy
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians and Bo Stahlbrandt:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

michael1597 Sat 25-Nov-00 05:35 PM

#2. "Pronea"
In response to Reply # 0

If it is the little silver camera then do not worry, it is an amazing cam. I have been using one for 2 months and in use with Fuji slidefilm it produces images of breathtaking quality though when enlarged to beyond 7 x5 grain is noticeable. That said the enlargements still look remarkeable. People do not know what they are missing. Buy one before Nikon discontinues it.

Lefty Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 05:54 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Pronea"
In response to Reply # 2

Virginia Beach, US

I am probably mistaken about this, but I thought that the 6i had already been discontinued, about 8-10 months ago. I agree with you Michael, it is a great li'l camera, it does nearly everything that my N70 does - and as a dealer, with jrp,"...if you must (APS)".

Cheers,
Chris

(Lefty)color="white"]
Taylor
You're
only as good as your last
shot!

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 27-Feb-01 06:41 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pronea 6si"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

What you're missing is the benefit of a larger image size which equates to image quality and sharpness of enlargements (APS is only 56% the image size of 35mm). Another thing you are missing is a wide choice of film emulsions at better prices. APS offers a grand total of one slide film choice, but good luck finding it.

If you love your Pronea I think you'd be even happier with a 35mm Nikon body. An N65 body weighs only 2.5 ounces more than the Pronea S (the only remaining Pronea camera Nikon offers).

Everything's relative. I often wish I had the resolution of a medium format camera, but 35mm is the most flexible format that I can afford to shoot. Here's another intelligent discussion of APS vs. 35mm:

http://www.photo.net/photo/aps.html

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1330 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.