Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1116
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spectacular photo (not mine) of a jet breaking the soun..." Previous topic | Next topic
HossCarver Silver Member Charter MemberThu 22-Mar-01 02:31 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spectacular photo (not mine) of a jet breaking the sound barrier"

Lake Hubert, US

I don't know how many of you have seen the shot of a fighter jet at the moment of sound barrier penetration taken by Ensign John Gay from the carrier USS Constellation, but if you haven't, the link is below. It's amazing (and taken with a Nikon, of course.)

http://rense.com/general8/boom.htm

Regards,
Chuck

Photographing Arizona in winter, Minnesota in summer and in-between twice a year

Photographing Arizona in winter, Minnesota in summer and in-between twice a year

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 22-Mar-01 02:55 AM
34473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spectacular photo (not mine) of a jet breaking the sound barrier"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Chuck:
Thank you very much for the link. Impressive image.
Fully manual? Of course, the only way to get that shot.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

timmy Basic MemberSat 24-Mar-01 02:25 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spectacular photo (not mine) of a jet breaking the sound barrier"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

I've seen it before, and agree that it's an awesome image. However, the info associated with it is suspicious. 12 years in the Navy and he's still an ensign? The aircraft is at 75 feet altitude and he was on the carrier? The perspective of the aircraft indicates that either the aircraft was banking to the starboard (very unlikely) or the photographer was on the "island" of the aircraft carrier. Anyone that know anything about sonic booms would know that the skipper of the Constellation probably had the pilot keel-hauled for that maneuver. And the part about tripping the shutter when he heard the sonic boom is difficult. It (the sonic boom) has a characteristic "shape" similar to the wake of a boat. It doesn't "go foreward".

A more likely scenario is that the photographer was in the second seat of another aircraft. When he heard/felt the sound barrier being broken by the aircraft he was in, he tripped the shutter. The other aircraft (aft and to the port side) was then
at the point of breaking the sound barrier.

I've tried to contact "Ensign Gay" to obtain a print. The request/inquiry was made from the International Museum of Photography at the George Eastman House (where I am a docent).
I thought that the image would be a worthwhile addition to the museum's collection. The U.S. Naval Department's response was that they needed more information (other than his name).

How truthful the text is, I cannot say. But, the image is very good.

HossCarver Silver Member Charter MemberSat 24-Mar-01 03:02 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spectacular photo (not mine) of a jet breaking the sound barrier"
In response to Reply # 2

Lake Hubert, US

Sorry Timmy, but I can't provide more information. I found the link on the internet in a photo newsgroup. I think your observations make a lot of sense and I hope you're able to track down the truth. If it's true that it was published in Sports Illustrated, Brills Content and Life, perhaps the publishers would be able to shed some light on the question.

Hopefully the photo doesn't turn out to be a nice piece of Photoshop work rather than what it's purported to be.

Please let us know here if you learn anything.

Regards,
Chuck

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1116 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.