Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1070
View in linear mode

Subject: "What do you want to shoot today?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mikepoison Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 01:56 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What do you want to shoot today?"

Amsterdam, NL

..Or tomorrow, it really doesn't matter WHEN you shoot, but what's more important is what you're trying to shoot.

I'll elaborate =)

We all have a certain subject we want to capture, but some favor sports over wildlife, or underwater photography over arial photography.

What is your favourite field? what is the ideal picture you always wanted to shoot in that field? Have you actually SHOT that image?

Have you ever concidered someone else's picture to be that image that you wish you had taken, but never were able to?

in short, what do you hope to push your equipment to in the field that most captures you?

Realising full well that I can't just quietly ask that and get away with not supplying my own version, I'll go first =)

I haven't seen a picture I wish I took yet, but I do love shooting wildlife, and I hope to be able to shoot a great many pictures with this as subject. I must confess I don't (yet?) have an image that I really really REALLY want to shoot, but I'm almost sure that with time and experience, the need for that elusive picture will come =)

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What do you want to shoot today?
Duck
26th Feb 2001
timgee
01st Mar 2001
photoaddict
05th Mar 2001
Newsphotog
05th Mar 2001
timmy
24th Mar 2001
jnscbl
24th Mar 2001
Lefty
26th Mar 2001
jrp Administrator
26th Mar 2001
Reply message "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
AdamDetrick
30th Mar 2001
Reply message RE: "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
bbleigh
30th Mar 2001
Reply message "What do you want to shoot today?"
Johnny
31st Mar 2001

Duck Basic MemberMon 26-Feb-01 02:17 PM
889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 0

Charlotte, US

Mike K.,

interesting topic... this one takes some serious thinking.

I have seen many photographs that I wish I had taken, but the more I thought about it, the more I had wished that I was there when the photograph was taken.

I am a traveling freak, seeing the world is my first passion, recording it on film is my hobby. I take pictures of places I have been and to share them with others. On day trips (Smoky Mountain NP) I might return time and time again to the same spot, taking the same photo, but with a different outcome. For family vacations, we try to visit places we have never been before. 1995 my wife and I drove to Colorado for 2 weeks, we had a blast. In 1998 we flew to Europe for 3 weeks. Being half German, and having lived in Germany for most of my young life, this wasnt new to me, but my wife had never been, so that trip was an experience for both of us! Our next trip is Panama, where her family is from. We had planned it for this year, Carnival Time, but with an 8 month old at home… maybe next year!

So, back to your question…

<<What is your favourite field? what is the ideal picture you always wanted to shoot in that field? Have you actually SHOT that image?>>

Landscape Photography. To record the image as I saw it, to remind me that I was there, and this was how it looked. I have yet to take that photograph.

<<Have you ever considered someone else's picture to be that image that you wish you had taken, but never were able to? ?>>

No I have never seen a photograph that I wish I had taken, Only photographs of places I wish to visit. I just envy those that make the time to travel and see the world.

<<in short, what do you hope to push your equipment to in the field that most captures you?>>

Good question… I don’t want to blame my equipment for that photograph that I never took. Now that I have a new N80 and an assortment of lenses, SB28 flash, filters, hoods, and enough equipment to fill a Domke F2 camera bag…. Let me give this theory a try! I am planning a one week photovacation in Arizona for early April. I will come back and answer the last question then!

Duck (Bryan)
Quack!

D U C K                 

Bryan Duckett
Charlotte, NC (USA)

timgee Basic MemberThu 01-Mar-01 08:19 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Mike,

Looks like your question has almost been forgotten in the rush for Nikonians to find out about each other in the thread above!

In answer to one of your questions - yes, everytime I see a great shot, I wish it was one of mine!

I've always been interested in news photography, so when the Olympic Circus rolled into town last year, had some fun with the more 'un-restricted' events, such as the marathon, triathalon and road race cycling.

Got some nice captures from my lowly 70-210mm (which I'll post as soon as I can get my hands on suitable scanner), but would have loved to had access to the massive telephotos (ie, 300mm+) that most of the pro's were using. Because most of the events listed above were held in the middle of the day (did you know Australia has the 'brightest' and most harsh sunlight in the world?), it was pretty difficult to get away with slow shutter speed to accentuate motion blur, etc, so most were just concentrating on capturing the athlete's look of grimace, determination, joy, etc.

However, must note that in addition to photo skill, equipment, luck, etc. is the subject of ACCESS to the particular location.

A few years ago, while doing PR for a major record label, I had on and back stage access during a big concert. As you can imagine, that was a most awesome opportunity, and brought probably my best results ever from photography using a 18 year old Pentax Spotmatic and Tamron 70-210! In fact, the results were so good (again, will post when I can find slide scanner) that I managed to sell four shots for a total of $AUD1000!

Cheers!

tim

photoaddict Basic MemberMon 05-Mar-01 08:19 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Mike,

I am very new to Nikonians. I think it is a great site.
You asked a very interesting question, I have to agree with Duck though. Every quality photo I see (composition, color, contrast,etc..) I wish that I had taken. Being a novice photographer every great shot that I regard as a "great shot" means the person captured that moment in time that I will never be able to experience except for that recorded fleeting moment. For this reason, yes, I wish I had taken EVERY one of them. Since this is not possible (conceivably) pictures will have to do!

Aron F.
aka. photoaddict

Newsphotog Basic MemberMon 05-Mar-01 05:01 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Great Topic Mike!

I too agree with the availability of options to get the great photos a lot of us see in magazines or newspapers.
There are the number of factors that contribute to the photographers capturing the published pictures we all envy.
There's the thousands of dollars invested in equipment, the years of experience and the access provided to most professional photographers through the publications that they work for.
It's easy to look at a photo and say " I could have done that too, if I only had the opportunity" I wish it were that easy!

I myself see tons of photos that I say to myself...great picture! I wish I took that one!
I find that seeing all of these types of photos encourages me to learn more and experiment everywhere. It's made a difference in my photography. I contacted professionals for advice, took them up on it, met with newspaper editors for tips and hints and it has definately changed the way I photograph today.
Don't be an observer! Be a participant in these great photos we see all over the place and take pride in what you do! Don't give up in trying for that one photo that makes us say, "I wish I could have taken that one!"

John Riddell
Photographer
Toronto, Ontario

John
Toronto, Canada

www.sportsshooter.com/johnriddell
www.torontofirephotos.ca

timmy Basic MemberSat 24-Mar-01 02:46 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

See a photo that I wish I had taken? Practically every day! I try to set aside every Sunday to take photographs, but that doesn't always happen. I plan to be out before sunrise this weekend to photograph geese - they're migrating now and I live near the south shore of Lake Ontario so I have them "geographically trapped". I'll be in my blind by 6 AM and hope to get a few shots of them as they're landing at/after sunrise to forage. Maybe this year I'll capture the image that I've composed in my mind but not in the viewfinder.

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 24-Mar-01 04:56 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

It just occurred to me what shot I would like to get. Have you ever been out driving at dusk and notice the full moon just rising above the horizon, as big as a dinner plate, and little brighter than the waning skylight? I have many times, and once I actually had my "stuff" with me. I swerved off the road, hopped out and opened the trunk and got the tripod, yanked one lens off the camera and jammed a longer one on, screwed the camera to the tripod, looked through the viewfinder....too late. In that length of time, the moon was already higher, smaller, and intensely bright. Damn! You just have to have tables to consult ahead of time, I guess, but I always forget before the next month rolls around.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Lefty Basic MemberMon 26-Mar-01 04:17 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 6

Virginia Beach, US

I too want that shot Scott. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me 2 years ago when,while driving, I saw the most spectacular double rainbow! I JUST missed it...no table for that though.

"Shoot pictures and enjoy life in between!"
Chris (Lefty) Taylor

Cheers,
Chris

(Lefty)color="white"]
Taylor
You're
only as good as your last
shot!

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 26-Mar-01 04:34 AM
34280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What do you want to shoot today?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I have my office on top of a hill, dividing a large metropolitan area. Every day I carry my gadget bag (or leave it there) in the hope to get the dusk picture I have planned for a long time. At exactly the time of day when the sun is going down behind the mountains and the city lights go on.
I have missed it now for almost a year. There is always something; a meeting, a phone call, a board meeting report that needs to be finished urgently. Always something ........
But I'll get it .... soon!
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

AdamDetrick Basic MemberFri 30-Mar-01 01:35 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. ""RE: What do you want to shoot today?""
In response to Reply # 0

US

Being the fan of National Geographic that I am, I often look at their photographers as the ones that take the photographs that make me wish that I'd been there . . . with their equipment . . . with their experience.

That's actually a big long term dream of mine - some kind of photo essay work with the same kind of feeling as National Geographic. I sometimes think that some day I might be able to actually work for NG. With my 15 years experience and expensive equipment, of course.

As I start my dive into a life of professional photography, the 'great shots' you speak of give me the will to keep working toward such a difficult goal - because the truth is, the kind of shot I'd like to get is the one I can't really get until later.

bbleigh Basic MemberFri 30-Mar-01 11:52 PM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "RE: What do you want to shoot today?""
In response to Reply # 9

This is an excellent thought provoking topic.

I'd have to agree with the others. I often look at a great photograph and wish it were mine. It sort of jumps out at me and says, yes!

I think my vision may be a little different from some of the others in that I don't think about a certain place or time or even subject for that matter. For me it is emotions and moods that I are my elusive subjects. It isn't about capturing or recording what I see but rather how I feel.

Two of my all time favorites that come to mind:

Ernest Haas's portrait of Ignor Stravinsky
W. Eugene Smith's "Minamata"

There have been several times that I have looked up and thought, this is what I want. . .this moment, this time, this feeling. And then its gone and I've missed it with no chance to recreate the scene at a later date. The lesson learned is that it makes me more and more aware of what I want to record.

I seek to capture thoughts, they are my elusive ideals.

Wendy L. Folse
http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/wlfphoto

Johnny Basic MemberSat 31-Mar-01 03:51 AM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. ""What do you want to shoot today?""
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

I'm talking about Henri Cartier-Bresson and the "decisive
moment". The ability (and premonition) of capturing
something great as it unfolds in front of you. What all
street photographers aspire to capture. I had a brush with
it this past weekend. Ann and I went to visit her best
friend Anna in Toronto this past weekend. I brought my
camera with me and a roll of Kodak Porta 160VC (C-41
process). It is supposed to be very good with skin tones.
I wanted to see what this film was about. I wanted to take
shots of Ann and Anna and maybe do some street photography.

Around the corner from Anna's, is a place called Second Cup
(the Canadian version of Starbucks). It sits on Bloor
Street which is lined with shops. It was about 10am so you
still had a good amount of morning light. After we were
done grabbing breakfast, we went to leave. Out front of the
store was a old man selling newspapers. He was standing
near the curb, facing the store. A small boy around 3 years
old, all bundled up, was walking down Bloor with his mother
close by (with the boy's stroller). He stopped in front of
the man and was staring at him. The old man bent down and
started talking to him. The boy's mother did nothing to
interfere. There was the normal hustle and bustle of people
walking by with these two frozen in time. Take the camera,
crouch low, moderate zoom, small to medium aperture, focus
on the man and boy (with everyone else out of sharp focus).
A fast enough shutter speed to freeze the moment. I was
lucky enough to turn around as we were walking away. It
presented itself to me. This was the shot that I was
looking for.

Only thing was that I left my gear at Anna house that
morning. X-)
I spent that day and Sunday looking for that "great
opportunity" once again and never found it. I guess it was
a good exercise in visualization at the least.

-----
This was a reprint of an email I sent to a couple of friends back in February. Man, I still kick myself in the butt for missing that shot!

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1070 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.