Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1008
View in linear mode

Subject: "random thoughts about...." Previous topic | Next topic
photobri Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 10:02 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"random thoughts about...."

Phoenix, US

Now that I have been a Nikonian for a while and am getting to slightly know some of you, I want to know more. How long have you been on Nikonians (start date on the profile, or member number 'x' would be neat to know.) (I started early last summer if I can remember correctly.)

How old is everyone? (I am 35 for a few more weeks)

Where are you from? (Phoenix AZ) Go Sun Devils!

Pro? Semi pro? Hardcore amature? Own a business or freelance? (I have a wedding / portrait business with my wife - on top of my 'normal' job.)

Frankie / JRP / Doug / Scott / Bryan / Darrell / Bo / Mike / etc... I see your thoughts and look for your posts everyday for amusement and education. Now I'd like to know how similar or different we all are.

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: random thoughts about....
Duck
22nd Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
Mikepoison
22nd Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
Reply message my bio
sakman
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message RE: my bio
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
jnscbl
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message Getting to know you......
Newsphotog
22nd Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Getting to know you......
jrp Administrator
22nd Feb 2001
photobri
23rd Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
frankie
24th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
frankie
25th Feb 2001
kdsmithjr Silver Member
24th Feb 2001
jaynel
24th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
kdsmithjr Silver Member
26th Feb 2001
Reply message Details
timgee
24th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Details
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
Reply message Bio city
JM
25th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: Bio city
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
bgs Administrator
25th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
photobri
26th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
26th Feb 2001
frankie
28th Feb 2001
avm247 Moderator
01st Mar 2001
frankie
02nd Mar 2001
bgs Administrator
07th Mar 2001
frankie
07th Mar 2001
bgs Administrator
08th Mar 2001
avm247 Moderator
09th Mar 2001
Reply message unauthorized auto-biography ;-)
f8bthere
25th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: unauthorized auto-biography ;-)
jrp Administrator
25th Feb 2001
avm247 Moderator
26th Feb 2001
gewe21
26th Feb 2001
karlmarx
27th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
28th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
28th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
28th Feb 2001
carrieszoo
27th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
28th Feb 2001
geo
28th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
20th Mar 2001
Reply message My Random Thoughts
jstream
28th Feb 2001
Reply message RE: My Random Thoughts
NikF2AS
01st Mar 2001
Arturo
01st Mar 2001
jrp Administrator
02nd Mar 2001
Johnny
04th Mar 2001
jnscbl
04th Mar 2001
Reply message Hello Nikonians
jrong
07th Mar 2001
Reply message RE: Hello Nikonians
bgs Administrator
07th Mar 2001
Reply message RE: Hello Nikonians
frankie
07th Mar 2001
finselmom
19th Mar 2001
jrp Administrator
20th Mar 2001
ibuyufo
21st Mar 2001

Duck Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 10:41 AM
889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Charlotte, US

Good Idea Brian!

I came across Nikonians during my search for information and reviews on Nikon Cameras… and I think that was around October/November 2000.

I am 34, live in Charlotte, North Carolina (USA) with my wife Dolly and daughter Sierra (8 months). I am a Professional Land Surveyor by day and a professional daddy at night into early mornings. I am an avid photographer always looking for a reason to get out and take some pictures. I do this more for the enjoyment, but maybe one day someone will want to hang one of my pictures on their wall…

Brian, I also enjoy everyone’s posts, and am always looking forward to the next laugh or lesson learned. I think you will find that we are all alike in most ways, especially with our passion for photography, whether its for hobby or for putting food on the table.

I am looking forward to my trip to your State next month… I will share anything I might learn at John Shaw’s seminar and any good pictures I might take!

Bryan
picture taker!

D U C K                 

Bryan Duckett
Charlotte, NC (USA)

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 07:07 PM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Bryan:
We are looking forward to see the pictures from your trip with John Shaw. We know you will for sure transform from picture taker into picture maker. Wish I had the chance to accompany you.
Some in depth story about my love for photography and about my family and myself can be found at the link at the bottom A Brief Love Story
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Mikepoison Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 01:34 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Amsterdam, NL

Well, let's see..

I'm 21, turning 22 in may, currently residing in Amsterdam, the netherlands, where I go to University in the field of Artificial Intelligence =)

I'm an amateur who needs to get out his camera again because he's not been taking enough pictures lately due to no money (grr)

And hopefully, I'll be a bit more active now that I have internet once more (and ADSL soon if all goes well)

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:14 PM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 2

Mike:
I had a chance to travel the Netherlands. What a country!.
I met some friends from there while I was a graduate student.
Photo opportunities abound. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Delft (where I stayed for a week at a "botel"). You made me want to find the pictures I took then.
Thanks for being here and helping out.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

sakman Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 01:47 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "my bio"
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-01 AT 03:48 PM (GMT)

Let's see, I am 33, living in Chicago Illinois, where I work as a personal protection agent(read bodyguard) for a very large media corporation.

I have lived all over the world, my parents were in the service as was I. I am a serious hardcore amatuer..I can't get enough gear or bodies, much to the dismay of my wife.

We travel at least twice a year to someplace very cool so I get to shoot some interesting places.
I found the site a few months ago and enjoy reading the posts and learning alot of good stuff I never though about.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:06 PM
#16. "RE: my bio"
In response to Reply # 3

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-01 AT 08:24 PM (GMT)

"Sakman":
I had been a shooting instructor and advisor on security affairs. So we also share that.
Glad to have you here with us.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 02:13 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Brian,

I am 47, and hardcore amateur. Good phrase. I was born in Houston, Texas, and lived there till four years ago. I have two older kids still in Houston. I am married and my wife and I have a daughter, who is now eight. Since moving to this small yet bustling town in a rural county, I have had the time and inspiration to pursue all facets of photography.

I have been interested in photography since I was a child. To escape the unpleasantries of the world around me, I would spend hours at a time absorbed in the pages of National Geographic and Audubon. My first cameras were 126's and 620's and Polaroids. All were inexpensive, and most were "gifts", meaning discards. I bought for myself a camera on my eighteenth birthday, a Miranda SLR. My first flash was a Honeywell Strobonar 100, which had a GN of about 25 as I recall. Over the next few years, I added a Petri SLR and a Ricoh Singlex SLR, a sort of Spotmatic clone.

I bought my first Nikon, an FM2, in 1984, along with a Tokina 28-85mm macro zoom lens. The concept of a "universal" lens was just catching on, and after years of carrying around TC's and closeup lenses and cheap telephotos, the idea really appealed to me. To go with this outfit, I got a Nissin handle mount flash, and later picked up an MD-12 at a garage sale.

In the recent past I have purchased several more "consumer" zooms, Sigma, Tokina, and Nikon. I finally got tired of the dark viewfinder and distortion, though, and bought new a 50mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8, both AF, as I knew I was going to shop soon for an AF body. I ended up going with the N60, and loved it.

Then I bought a 135mm AIS on E-Bay, followed soon after by a 200mm AI. I absolutely went crazy over them, especially the 135. I spent some time researching the perfect body dedicated to the 135. I wanted A-priority, motorized film advance, TTL flash, and not much else. I didn't care about DOF preview, because I only wanted to shoot that lens at f2.8, or f4 if unavoidable. I decided the N2000 would be the ticket, and ended up finding an F301 with the double A battery adapter. After buying it on E-bay, I sent it to a Nikon shop, and had some cosmetic repair and everything checked out, adjusted, and cleaned. I have therefore paid more for this body than I did for the N60 new, but I feel like I now have a Nikon that was custom designed and built to my specifications.

I still love the N60, but became weary of having to remember to hold in the AEL button with my thumb for every shot. I have also become interested in certain types of photography--macro and still life--using flash, and DOF preview has again become important, even critical, because of the distances and lenses involved. So I began to shop again for the perfect camera. An FM2 can do anything manually, but I like to delegate.

This time around, I wanted TTL flash, motor drive, fulltime CW metering, and flash compensation. Desired, also, were interchangeable screens and AI compatibility, as well as AF. The N70 would have been a bargain, but had no DOF preview. The N90s had everything I wanted, plus 1/250 flash synch and legendary reliability, but was still a little high, and after using the N60, I wanted simple, intuitive controls. I briefly considered the N8008s, but wanted a new body. (Don't we all?)

I finally got to handle an N80 in the flesh. I loved the control layout, the electronic DOF preview was cool, and the gridlines in the finder blew me away. That was all I wanted interchangeable screens for, anyway. The custom functions allowed me to set everything the way I wanted. The higher synch speed was negotiable, since I have switched to primes, and always use longer lenses at wide aperture. Since I use flash outdoors, I have been gravitating toward ISO100 film so 1/125 is adequate. I decided I would leave the AI lenses to the manual bodies, so I negotiated away the AI compatibility, too. So, Brian, I now have an N80. For my one AF prime telephoto, I chose the 105mm f2.8 Micro.

I stumbled upon Nikonians late last summer, and have enjoyed the discussions thoroughly. I am an eternal student, and if I seem hardheaded or confrontational, it's nothing personal, it's just me trying to understand something. ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Newsphotog Basic MemberThu 22-Feb-01 04:35 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Getting to know you......"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Excellent topic!!
Many times I've seen the familiar contributors and moderators here and wondered, hmmmm I wonder what he's like...or how old he is....etc.

My names is John, I live in Toronto, Canada....4 largest city in North America. I am 30 years old....going on 12! I'm married to a very very very patient wife who encourages my photography more than I would ever tolerate!
When I'm not making pictures I work a 9-5 job as a Sales Manager for a company specializing in retrieving data lost on computer hard drives for every walk of life.

I work part time as a freelance photojournalist on my own in getting usable news pictures to sell to local papers. It's a crappy way to do it with all of the competition out there, but I like being the underdog!
I also assist with a major photo studio doing documentary style weddings on the weekends. I'm assiting this year to be able to shoot on my own next wedding season. I'ts great fun if you have the demeanor to deal with crazy brides and drunken groomsmen every weekend!
I discovered Nikonians.com by accident doing my endless research about one component or another before purchasing it. I was hooked immediately! The endless opinions and resources for a Nikon user are priceless. My wife called me a photogeek when I told her that I became a moderator to make a contribution to a great site. I'm a proud photogeek!!!!!!
My equipment consists of F100/F90X/SB25/SB28/Vivitar285HV/80-200 2.8 Nikkor/20-35 2.8 Tokina ATX Pro/Kenko 1.5 teleconverter etc......
Interested in hearing from other fellow Nikonians.....is there a convention in the works? Maybe a photo holiday? Hmmmmmm

It's a pleasure to finally "meet" you all!

John Riddell
Photographer
Toronto, Ontario

"walk softy and carry a big lens"

John
Toronto, Canada

www.sportsshooter.com/johnriddell
www.torontofirephotos.ca

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 22-Feb-01 10:22 PM
#6. "RE: Getting to know you......"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, since you forced the issue, I might be the uncle of the dinosaurs since I am 59, going into 60 very fast as it seems right now.
I live in a suburb of Monterey, Mexico (northeast desert), industrial capital of the country. I am currently helping to build a silicon valley here and creating new business ventures, mainly in the energy area. I run the Industrials Club in the daytime with 14,000 people attending per month and a staff of only 300. So, doing all that I usually work from 9 am ´til 2 am, leaving little time for this community.
Passionate photographer for over 45 years now. Subjects are mostly the family members, as the official record keeper of daily life and special events, that fortunately never seem to cease.
I have alway tried to keep upgraded and as a consequence I have used from the Nikon F and Nikkormats to the F5, mostly staying with the F models.
I am in a rush right now and find little in my mind that could be of any interest to the Nikonians, except to say, Thank you! very much.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

photobri Basic MemberFri 23-Feb-01 09:58 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Getting to know you......"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

It is very nice to meet you, and I look forward to learning about more about the rest of us.
Scott - so glad to hear you are getting what you want! I knew you'd like that N80, and if you don't have the grip yet, when you get it you will fall in love all over again! Same with the micro. I take it out and play alot even without film in my camera!
John, what is cold weather like? Spring is actually starting in Phoenix now. Whew! Couldn't handle any more of those sub 60 degree days! Glad to get to know you and good luck with the weddings. Develop your own style and realize that a good photography business is 60% (or more) marketing.
Bryan - Phoenix & Tucson are beautiful right now... It's still cold up North, though.
Sakman - looking forward to seeing some of your stuff from the cool places you visit.
Mike - glad to see you back!
JRP - for someone with so little time for us, you sure seem to give a bunch of help. Thanks!

It is so interesting to read about the people I have been talking to for so long. It is a small world, isn't it?

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:09 PM
#17. "RE: Getting to know you......"
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-01 AT 00:47 AM (GMT)

John:
What a fantastic idea, that of a convention!
Be certain we will give it a thorough thought.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:02 PM
#15. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-01 AT 08:23 PM (GMT)

Scott:
No wonder I like your postings. Miranda? I remember been so tempted. Strobonar? Of course, I had one too. Changed it because it was a very basic small flash, manual only, no auto, GN was 56 for ASA 100. Got a "potato masher" instead, at least it looked more "Pro". Bought so many Sigma's and Tamron's too. And so on and on.
Indeed we share many similarities on our paths.
Very glad we had the idea to create this community and did it.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

frankie Basic MemberSat 24-Feb-01 01:18 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Oh, my turn? .kay....

I am 24, living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and yes, we do have cars and no we don't go to work on dog-sleds...

Anyway, I have a Bachelors degree, much like the guy in the commercial selling drinks on the beach, which is what I thought I'd be doing until I managed to get a job developing databases for a company in the leasing/finance/contract business... Quite challenging.

I found Nikonians before it was called "Nikonians" and it was still "Nikonian" quite accidentally, by stumbling around the various links on the net trying to get the low-down on Nikon Metering and to see how many people out there were using an F60.

In August of 2000 I bought my F100, and so the passion continues. To the point where the F100 has successfully weaned me off of my vintage Pentax Spotmatic II kit (fully loaded)... and full force into the Zen of Nikon.

I'm not a pro photog, I'm more of an inquisitive amateur - I tend to sponge information if I feel it's interesting, so here I am... I like it coming at me fast and furious. Now if only I had the same zeal in University...

Photography is not my first passion. Music is. I'm a bass player, I play electric 5 string fretless (oooh...ahh) it's an extended range instrument.

I play regularily in a well-organized club in Toronto, which works like a "tennis club" where people are teamed up to play songs they like.

I have a catalog of about 600 songs, most of which came way before I was born, because I am about 20 years younger than MOST of the members of the club - but I love music, so I play music.

Now, if only I could combine the two... I was thinking of Rock-photography...

One thing I love about photography, is that I can run away with my camera for a couple of hours and enjoy seeing things...

In music, I often have to deal with some pretty jaded people, and although I can be jaded at times, most of these people I call jaded, could probably be desscribed as mis-guided... It's a product of the music industry.

I am also working on building a digital recording studio just out of the city for some audio projects I have in mind.

Oh, and I've begun to rekindle a bit of a relationship with my ex-gf... So, I could probably post the neat little "spur of the moment" portrait I took of her and not get into too much trouble... <grin>...

How's that?

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:26 PM
#20. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 8

Frankie:
Thanks for sharing with us your true inner soul.
Yes, we want to see who has captured your thoughts.
And many thanks for helping out. The F100 forum is very alive since you took over.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

frankie Basic MemberSun 25-Feb-01 10:11 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 20

Well, thank you guys, for making this place happen... It's great to be a part of the Nikonian experience!

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

kdsmithjr Silver Member Charter MemberSat 24-Feb-01 01:38 PM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Ithaca, US

I'll be 50 this coming June. I live near Ithaca, NY, in the finger lakes region of New York. I grew up in the South Bronx and Brooklyn in New York City. I've been into photography since about the 6th grade. I'd consider myself a very serious amateur/sometime pro photographer. I started with pentaxes (going back to the spotmatic, one of the first TTL metering cameras).

I did my undergraduate degree (biology) at SUNY Potsdam, just north of the 6 million acre adirondack park in northern NY. Obviously, the focus (no pun intended) of my photography changed from mostly people (there are 8 million of them in NY City) to mostly nature (living next to the largest wilderness in the continental US).

Most of my work resides home in boxes, under beds, in closets, etc. But I've been part of exhibits in the Brooklyn Museum (in high school) and did some magazine work (writing and photography) for a now-defunct motorcycle touring magazine (Northeast Riding). That stint gave me an excuse to ride my BMW (R80-RT and K100RT) all over the east coast and throughout eastern and maritime Canada while being able to write the whole thing off my taxes, since my motorcycle was a "tool" of my part-time profession. I'm asked to shoot all the time, but I prefer to only take on work that I would enjoy doing. Guess that makes me a semi-pro/sometime freelancer.

In terms of overall skill, I guess I have a fair amount. I'm experienced in just about all kinds of shooting, from sophisticated fashion studio to 'down on your knees' macro on a forest floor. I'm an experienced lab person too, having done all from simple b/w negative developing to dye transfer prints. Of course, I'm too lazy to do that kind of stuff now and, lately at least, I've dedicated my life to finding an acceptable, dependable place that does that 'one-hour stuff.'

Since the mid seventies I've been a director of a program in higher education, so I push pencils professionally. I also teach the introductory course in my institution's African American Studies major.

I abandoned--reluctantly--the small, easy to use, well-built pentax system about a dozen years ago and purchased an N8008. Pentaxes are great, but Nikons have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and I'm pretty dedicated to Nikon products now. Right now, in addition to the 8008, I have an F100 and a few lenses, e.g., 50 mm f/1.8, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 and a 70-300 f/4-5.6 ED (all nikkors, of course). I don't have a problem at all with non-oem equipment. It's just that, except for a few cases, the cost of a nikkor isn't all that different than other brands and the nikkor is built for Nikons. Of course, I have other supporting equipment, like an SB-28 and other trinkets.

As you may surmise, It's mid winter here--even though the calendar says late winter to some of you. Seasons here in central and northern NY are kind of strange. We have long winters, just a little too hot summers, beautiful falls. And springs? Well...let's just say that we do have spring here, but I was out of town that weekend last year.

Keith D. Smith

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jaynel Basic MemberSat 24-Feb-01 05:27 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 9

Frankie, don't forget there's also indoor plumbing and we don't have polar bears roaming through our back yards. Best of luck with your g'friend.

I enjoyed reading all the intros posted so far and look forward to reading more.

You can see a short intro I posted here:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID10/46.html#

I'm a lowly beginner with my SLR and new to the board. I'm 32 and have been living in Vancouver for 5.5 years. I moved here from Florida to be with the man who is now my husband of five years (today's our 5th year wedding anniversary and he had to work ). I love it here in beautiful British Columbia and as of now, I can see myself spending the rest of my life here, although I do miss Florida.

My husband gave me a Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6D last night as an anniversary gift. (How's that for romance? ) I could hardly sleep last night because I couldn't get my mind off the lens. When I did sleep, I had dreams of taking pictures with it! Went out first thing this morning to play around with it. My husband sure is one heck of a guy to put up with that on the morning of our wedding anniversary!!! Can't make a habit of that! Ah well, he was thrilled to see me so excited about the gift.

I'm thoroughly enjoying taking pictures and am learning so much from everyone's posts and from the photos posted on the board. When I'm not out taking pictures, a large chunk of my spare time is spent either reading a book or magazine about photography, or else I'm on this board! I'm not the best picture taker (although I DO hope to improve and am trying!) but gosh am I ever having FUN with the hobby so far!

Glad to be here with all of you!

Jayne
in Vancouver, British Columbia

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 05:38 PM
#13. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 10

Jayne:
Congrats on your considerate husband. A 70-300mm! Smart guy.
Great way to keep himself into a smart gal's heart. Congratulate him also from us.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:21 PM
#19. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 9

Keith:
Amazing we also share a passion for motorcycling.
In my case it was so much that I even built them.
I started out in a Vespa and made a giant leap into an Indian; keept on moving into Kawazaki (1300cc), and finally into Yamaha with whom I made a joint venture that unfortunately only lasted a couple of years until the 1982 Mexican debt crisis. So: Midnight Special, then Ninja 1000. Incredible feel of freedom.
Very happy to have you here.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

kdsmithjr Silver Member Charter MemberMon 26-Feb-01 09:05 PM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 19

Ithaca, US

Yeah, nothing like being on two wheels. Many of the pics at my site were taken from trips taken on my beemer. Check out the ones in Nova Scotia and Prince Edwards Island, taken on trips for Northeast Riding Magazine.

Here's the link.
http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=get_album&ID_Community=kdsmithjrspics&ID_Topic=1&ViewType=W
Keith D. Smith

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

timgee Basic MemberSat 24-Feb-01 11:52 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Details"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Hi All,

Great topic - had often wanted a little more detail on you all than in shown in your personal profiles. Also, think I owe a big thankyou to everyone - my posts are always answered quickly, and with excellent info and advice.

As for me, I'm 24, living in Sydney, Australia. And no, there are no kangaroos hopping down the street, koalas in the trees or crocodiles in the harbour (sharks are a different matter...)

Currently in-between jobs working out just what the hell I wanna do. Gave up a plum job in marketing last year to go a drive all around Northern Australia...as you can imagine, some fantastic photo ops, and as soon as I get access to a film scanner, I'll post 'em up for you to see some of the amazing places down here.

Been into photography for quite a few years, but really only into Nikon quite recently. My girlfriend, who politely refers to you all as 'the net camera nerds' (!) works as a journo, so I was often able to tag along with her and photographers.

As for equipment, cut teeth on a borrowed F90x (can guess where from), and as much as I loved it, when the time came to give it back, had nowhere near enough to get my own replacement. Still, came across a neat F801s with 28-85, 70-210 and SB-24 for only $AUD1400 last year. Very happy with it - moreso the 70-210 than the 28-85, which has been a little bit dissapointing.

You'll probably laugh when I tell you that it took ages to find that camera...did all my homework, and looked everywhere. Two nights before finding it, read an article dealinng with fungus (quite a problem with Sydney's humidity) and made a mental note to CHECK everything in future for it. All well and good, but when I saw the above kit, which was almost in mint condition, totally forgot to check for the damned stuff, and was only in the car on the way home that I remembered. I thought, no way, I'm just being paranoid, but, sure enuff, got it home, and under bright lights, there it was...a tiny little growth sprouting inside the 28-85! Don't think it's enough cause any degradation of image quality, but you can probably guess how I felt! IDIOT!

Cheers!

Tim

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:46 PM
#21. "RE: Details"
In response to Reply # 11

I sourly missed the chance to go the Olympics in Sidney. Too much work. Please post some of your pictures.
I read somewhere that at the initial contact with Europeans which was briefly in the West of the Country with the Dutch, they asked "What is that animal?" and the aboriginals answered "Kangooroo". So the name stuck, but it means "I don't understand you". Glad yo have you here.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

JM Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 25-Feb-01 06:25 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Bio city"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Yo,
I like hearing a bit about the people on the other side of the keyboard. It is this 'intimacy' that helps keep the 'friendly' in our Nikonians. It is all to easy to be curt or rude to those we don't know (that's why crisis negotiatators get on a first name basis ASAP) but when you are aware of a persons life and mind we tend to temper our exchanges with more humanity...the good kind not the underbelly of the society humanity...

I am a relatively new Nikonian both on the list (late 2000) as well as to photography in general.
A Sierra Club Service outing was the sponsor of a need to get a quality camera so I researched and found a 'demo' N70 with the 'consumer' zoom for a good price. Then not 2 weeks later while showing it off to my sisters the youngest said she still had my late fathers camera an dshe couldn't use it due to weight and manual functions. It is a F with the FTn metered prism and had a nonAI 50mm 1.4f lens. I took them both on that trip and have been addicted ever since.
I run1 to 12 rolls of 100ISO film thru my beasts a month on a purely amatuer basis altho I am talking to some friends about doing some portriats of their kids if I can aquire the needed lighting and backdrops.
Life in Chicago is good for practising camera use as the city is home to architecture from the birth of the highrise 'skyscraper' thru the many Frank Llyod Wright designs scattered thruout the city and 'burbs. The lakefront gives this area a wide range of 'mood' weather and great backrounds to play with. And tho flat the middle of the United States has some beautiful parks and forests to use as models for landscape and nature shooting.
My work while usually in the machine and mechanical fields shifts quite often because I have never been able to settle into a comfort zone with most positions so I move on.
I have lived in several different areas of the US including California and Georgia as well as traveling on the job which gave me an appreciation of the diversity this continent offers.
As a tail end of the baby boom and third of four children my immenant arrival at 50 scheduled for 2004 has me a little shaky as growing up I had little faith humanity could endure its travails and survive...its good to be wrong sometimes.
Oops sorry I got carried away.
Happy shooting
Take only pictures
Leave only footprints

Jeff Markus

JM
The Chicagoan

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:57 PM
#22. "RE: Bio city"
In response to Reply # 12

Jeff:
I remember been terrified and feeling impotent by "The limits to growth" book. As you, I am also glad they (and me) were wrong.
Even the stupidest of societies are living things and as such their prime instinct is for survival. So let us hope we don't loose that wild primeval part of ourselves.
I too had an encounter with the glorious "F" Photomic of my father and have been since hooked on Nikon.
Indeed the Nikonians share many experiences.
Glad to have you here. And, don't worry, if I was allowed to live to be 59 I don't see why you cannot get to be 50.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 06:00 PM
5558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Bratislava, SK

Brian,

Good topic.
For all of you interested in some background on your fellow Nikonians, you can also check out the This is me - Tell me about you thread in the About Nikonians/New Users forum.

I'm 35, born in Sweden, living in Germany, married having two kids. Started the Nikonians community with JRP early last year. Currently suffering under similar time-constraints as JRP: business life (living systems) consuming a fair share of my time

I also have some other sites up and running for personal amusement, esp. the family site and a site related to my musical interests

To all of you: Thanks for being here and esp., thanks for being who you are

Bo (Nikonian in the Black Forest/Germany)
My profile and My gallery

Bo Stahlbrandt. Nikonians Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.
Find out more about The Nikonians Team -- See the latest, hottest posts

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 07:09 PM
#24. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 14

Bo:
As you can see, we were not wrong. There had to be out there kindred Nikonian spirits and here they are now.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

photobri Basic MemberMon 26-Feb-01 01:00 AM
#28. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 14

Phoenix, US

Thanks Bo & JRP. I do have a question for you two. How or what got you two to start this haven? If you only knew how appreciative I am, and all of us are... I have learned so much since joining, and I hope I have helped a few too.
Frankie - I bet you are a Geddy Lee fan. I know I am, and have been for 20 years!
Keith, Sak, Jeff, Jaynel, Mike, Al, Tim... etc Very glad to meet you and looking forward to more converstions, laughing and learning.
Oh, I wanted to mention that some people think Phoenix is crawling with rattlesnakes and coyotees. Well It is! And that is just on the golf course!!

All the World's a Stage
Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 26-Feb-01 01:43 AM
#29. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 28

I would like to let Bo tell us his own thoughts, but from my point of view, one of the many things that pulled us together was our frustration on the many websites with several common problems:
a) Unfriendliness, when not plainly insulting
b) False or misleading statements
c) Off topic lengthy (never-ending) threads
d) Hands-off webmasters
e) Frequently, mostly opinions of a single person
f) Frequent foul language
In other words, unprofessional, with very few exceptions.
I visited Bo's personal site and he visited mine. That's how we began our friendship and partnership. Through mutual respect for each other's work and dedication to the Nikon brand, as stated in About us at the bottom of the homepage.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

frankie Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-01 10:37 PM
#41. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 28

Geddy Lee? Not really...

More of a "The only cheques I've left unsigned, from the banks of chaos in my mind..." Sting/Police/The Beatles/Level 42 kinda guy...

I did fancy "Closer To the Heart"... Sounded like Geddy was being impaled with a branding iron...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 01-Mar-01 06:05 PM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 41

Rancho Cordova, US

Hey, Frankie, what's wrong with Geddy Lee? And Neil Peart's drumming is legendary. RUSH is incredible -probably one of the best three man bands of rock, and like Brian, I've been a fan for about 20 years.

Just my opinion.
Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

frankie Basic MemberFri 02-Mar-01 03:35 PM
#46. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 44

Hehehe, I don't want to get into a pee-ing contest here.. but I never really liked Rush... Just isn't what I'm into...

I never thought Lee was a particularily interesting bass player either.

I live about 10 mins away from where Neil lives in toronto... I drive by the area every day...

Hey, they've had some good stuff...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberWed 07-Mar-01 08:46 PM
5558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 44

Bratislava, SK

Not that it really matters (being a Swede that is), but I am really a Rush fan...

Stuff like "Presto", "Counterparts", "Test for Echo" etc. really gets me going.

The best band there is if you think in terms of three musicians making a heck of a lot of noise

Bo Stahlbrandt. Nikonians Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.

frankie Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 10:22 PM
#52. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 50

I dunno...The Police were also "3 band members" who made a lot of noise - I just happen to find it a bit more controlled...

Mind you, I've also been a Sting fan because he had some pretty interesting lyrics...

Anyway, I always wondered who kicked Lee in the 'nads before he'd have to do "Closer To The Heart" every night in his "early years"

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberThu 08-Mar-01 07:24 PM
#54. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 52

Bratislava, SK

Yes, of course you are right, they were also three - And "pretty good" indeed

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 09-Mar-01 05:07 PM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 52

Rancho Cordova, US

hey, speaking of the Police,

I just bought a couple of CDs: Syncronicity (of course) and Zenyatta Mondatta. I remember one of their videos (DE DO DO DO; DE DA DA DA) where Stuart Copeland (maybe it was Andy) was walking on the sound board... .

anthony

Anthony

f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberSun 25-Feb-01 09:53 PM
1326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "unauthorized auto-biography ;-)"
In response to Reply # 0

DeLand, Florida, US

I will turn 43 in April, and have for the last year had some stability in my life. I retired from the U.S. Air Force last year, and was pleasantly surprised to be home for the holidays and birthdays for the first time in many years. Living out of duffel bags and sleeping in tents has allowed me to have some perspective on what comfort is, and I discovered that it is not related to material possessions, but a state of mind. This revelation has caused me to rethink my priorities, and I have adopted a simple lifestyle, that is quality oriented... not quantity oriented. I am at my age 100% retired. Every expense is covered and for now I am living for myself and my family... providing intangible things that money can't. OK, I'm off of my soapbox now.

My father was a photographer, and as a normal rebellious kid, I rejected his attempts at teaching me. It wasn't until I was in the military and traveling that I felt the need to pick up a camera... only to document. I was bit by the "shutterbug" quickly, and the act of shooting became a reason to travel, rather than travel being a reason to photograph. I feel fortunate to have started into photography when I did. We had no internet, not many auto cameras, and a very narrow choice of decent film. Learning was a real "crash and burn" process, but I believe not having the "training wheels" in the beginning made me a better shooter more quickly, even if it was a bruising experience at times. I like the fact that having a command the basics allows me to pick up a TLR Rollie, a Leica and of course my many Nikons, and shoot with confidence. This allowed me great versatility of not being married to any particular gear. When I went to the Persian Gulf, I could grab an indestructible old Nikon F with no meter, and get shots as easily as if I were in Paris with an F3. I have for the last few years felt a bit abandoned by Nikon, but it is heartening to see the FM3a joining the line up. Nikon will get a few more Dollars from me now, rather than my money going to the camera store with a big selection of used gear.

I have this site as well as a Leica site at the top of my "favorites" list and it is a morning ritual to drink my coffee, (guess what cup I'm using?), and check the latest entries. I feel I have been able to offer some advice to some people, but I have been a bit over the top sometimes. I have stepped back, regrouped and decided only to answer mechanical / technique questions that have a real answer. There are a million opinions out there, so to keep from causing dissent, I'll keep my opinions to myself. If I have an absolute fact, I will quickly offer it up, and hope I can be of some help. One other thing, I have no problem what so ever receiving off post e-mails. If anyone wishes to ask a question about older gear, particularly AI / AIS lenses, PLEASE FEEL FREE to e-mail me directly via the icon. If I know the answer, I will help, if I don't, I will be honest. I do have a rather extensive library about all things Nikon, and I will look up a fact for anyone.

If I am not shooting, I am playing blues guitar. I started a bit late in life, but It gives me pleasure, so it fulfills everything that a diversion should provide. It is a good way to keep your ego in check too. Everyone should attempt something that is not easy to keep those brain cells active. If you only do what you CAN do, some stagnation will occur.

That is about it. If anyone finds their way down to the Daytona Beach, Florida area, e-mail me and I will be glad to show you around... wait, let me check my calendar... OK, I'm clear for the next thirty years or so...

Al

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Feb-01 10:28 PM
#27. "RE: unauthorized auto-biography ;-)"
In response to Reply # 25

Al:
Thank you very much for sharing. I had the chance to travel throughout the world, however without a camera most of the time.
I wanted to retire (like you lucky young Nikonian), but there were too many crisis in my country to able it. Three serious ones in a row is too much in a lifetime. So I am forced to keep being creative and have little time to use my cameras. But I keep trying using any possible excuse.
We are happy and proud to have you here.
Have a great time

JRP
(Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 26-Feb-01 02:03 PM
#30. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Well, I must say that this has been an interesting thread. I've been an Nikonian since May 2000 when I was invited to join by Bo during the Beta test. At the time my son was about to be born so with all the running around and sleepless nights, I never quite got the chance, so to paraphrase Maxwell Smart, I missed a mug by that much.

I'm 29, going on thirty in April, married to a wonderful woman for nine and half years who puts up with this expensive hobby and actually pointed out a Nikkormat EL at a flea market - too bad the shutter was stuck . Yes, we married young, but as the saying goes, it was love at first sight. I'm an amature photographer and enjoy architectural photography and am starting to look into landscape and portraits.

Currently, I'm a designer and provided I pass all the licensing exams, will be an architect, until then... Right now, I'm employed by the Great State of California in (currently cloudy and wet) Sacramento but I'm originally from Los Angeles, CA. Just recently, a multi-family, low income housing project that I worked on when I was employed in the private sector at hatch+colasuonno recieved two building industry awards. Most of my interests lay in architecture, and recording what others have done and asking how I can do it better, unfortunately, Sacramento is not the place to do this.

I'm beginning to reexplore my roots and discovered the following website on my dad's cousin (sorry, I have no idea how I would be related to him - second cousins?)Vicente Manansala. I know its not photography, but it is art, and can easily be appreciated by modernists.

Anthony Manansala

Anthony

gewe21 Basic MemberMon 26-Feb-01 07:32 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 30

Milwaukee, US

Count me in, guys...

Nikonians was a referred forum by a friend who also loves photography (he's a Minolta hardcore though) around half a year ago... and I've been checking this forum regularly. I started photography around a year ago. I originally bought N70 for my brother who was in a photography club in his high school in Jakarta, because he wanted a "Nikon" SLR camera that is "button intensive" instead of Kwanon that's "dial intensive". Then I got an F80 for myself last summer.

I'm George Hadipoespito, 20 years old (my b'day is coming though), Indonesian, and right now I'm studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. My graduation is next May, but I still have no idea what I'm going to do after college. I also work part-timer at the university.

I'm an amateur in photography. Right now I'm doing mostly landscape photography, although I'd like to try portrait photography. As I read in a discussion a few days ago, the hardware (cameras, lenses) still fascinate me the most, instead of working on my technique, which I found pretty bad and money spending

Greetings to y'all Nikonians out there.

George Oei
Mechanical Engineering, senior year
U.W. Madison

George Oei
Madison, WI
"Dude, you're getting a Nikkor !!!"

karlmarx Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 09:21 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 31

Montreal, CA

Hi Everebody! Salutations de Montréal!

I'm one of the new guys to this site, just discovered it about one month ago... I've been checking the posts every day since then, adding the little I could. I am 20 years and presently in university not really knowing what I want to do. Just to give you an idea, last semester I took 3 physiks courses and two mathemathics courses and this semester I'm taking three anthropology courses and a German course.

I can't remember the first time I touch a camera and have always love to take pictures. My first camera was a point-and-shot and then, at about 12, I started using my father's old Contarex mounted with a wonderfull 50mm Zeiss lens. I even used his Ca*** until it brooked about two years ago. The mechanism in the body to close the diaphragm of the lenses when taking the shoot unexpectadly disapeared!!! I screwed about 5 film before noticing it, asking myself why 90% of my shots were underexposed!
I then made the mistake of buying myself an APS point-and-shot, thinking that it would be enough to fit my needs. It wasn't before about one year and a half ago that I realized I really needed an SLR of my own! My father was always not really happy to lend me his loved contarex and most adored Zeiss lens. So I began shoping and falled in loved with Nikon System. I thought that the 1500$ canadian I had spent on my F70 and 28-105 mm zoom would be enough... innocent I was... Since then I have never stopped to try getting more and more gear... I'm almost set now... ) I wish that was true!

I shoot almost anything, but I have a little preference for wildlife and landscape. I want to take the opportunity of this thread to express my gratitude to those who built it, and to those who are contributing to it!

Muchas Gracias jrp!
Vielen Dank bgs!

Simon Houle

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 04:21 AM
#38. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 34

Simon:
Don't worry, be happy.
Engineering was my first career and when I finished college I found out I could not even define it .... that bad!
So I had to come up with my own: the subtle mix of art and science to organize ideas, men, materials and the forces of nature, to profitably combine and transform them into goods and services for the benefit of mankind. As you can see, any course fits and indeed do help.
BTW, I just remembered, thanks to you, that I also used a Contarex of an uncle of mine (and his Voightlander). It was a delight -at least then-.
Thanks for the kudos but most of the credit should go to Bo, who undertook the hard work.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 03:53 AM
#36. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 31

George:
Glad to have you here. Don't worry about what to do when you graduate. I would recommend to take a short vacation, then I'll come to you. I know because I used to be an engineer too.
One body, one lens, one film. When you have mastered them then move on. Depending on budget you can add a body, a lens or another film. It is a never ending story of learning. Maybe that is why we all keep at it.
Happy shooting.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 04:03 AM
#37. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 30

Anthony:
Very glad to have you here. You were (or almost were) a beta tester of this site. Happy to know you decided to stay.
Your architectural inclination makes you prone to buy perspective corrective lenses. Tough.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

carrieszoo Basic MemberTue 27-Feb-01 08:49 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 05:03 PM (GMT)

I am a 41 year old mother of two teenage boys, living in Tucson, Az. My dad was in the Navy, so I have been many places in the US. The southwest is my favorite!
I have been in Tucson 13 years... which is a record for me. The longest I ever stayed in one place was college.. Mills College in Oakland, CA. I graduated as a theatre design major, worked at Santa Fe Opera...met my husband, had the boys, and been a stay-at-home mom ever since.
I have had a camera in my hands since I was 12. I have always been the family "picture taker," along with taking landscape/nature photos for my enjoyment. Now that the boys are teenagers, and don't want their pictures taken anymore, I am getting serious with photography I enjoy.
I am new to Nikonians (1 week), and am already learning alot. I really like the friendly atmosphere. I look forward to meeting everyone. Carrie

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Feb-01 03:49 AM
#35. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 33

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 06:08 AM (GMT)

Carrie:
For a while my kids (now 31 and 30 years old) hated me taking pictures of them. I simply did not ask and kept on shooting. Now they get a kick out of the many family albums and appreciate my humble efforts. So there is hope.
Glad to have you here.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

geo Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-01 09:53 AM
224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Roma, IT

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 11:55 AM (GMT)

My real name is Giorgio. I choose "Geo" as a nickname for this site because it resembles an abbreviation of my own name, and because the word also means "Earth", our planet. For me, in fact, photography is a mean to discover the existing reality outside of our personal thoughts and ideas.

I am 40, and I live in Rome, Italy. I am a graduated engineer and an MBA. Since I understood that it was better to me to put my own life at top of my own priority list, I ended up with a job as financial advisor and in running a gym together with my brother and another friend. This way I get my money without wasting my time, so I have plenty of spare time. I can leave town on Friday at noon and come back to work on Tuesday morning. When I leave Rome, I make an about 150 km. drive to Maremma, the beautiful countryside in southern Tuscany where my fiancee lives; her name is Barbara, she is 33 and we are together since nearly 8 years. We will marry when we get adult. For now, we live in a beautiful small apartment full of sunlight in the tiny Magliano in Toscana.

Photography is not my only passion. Another big one is windsurfing. Actually, I am not sailing that much during Winter, but I am still out almost every windy day during Summer. I love to sail a "slalom" board in flat water: one can get so much speed he really gets scared. During Spring and Autumn, it's easier to get some wave sailing, althought here in Italy we seldom see nice waves.

I am very concerned with our environment. I do my best to keep this planet as beautiful as possible. This implies trying to leave things unaltered, and saving as much energy as possible. I am a very rare example of Italian male much more concerned with the MPG rather than the MPH of his car.
I try to record on film the beautiful natural sceneries I see in Maremma, with the secret hope this can help someone else to realize that, no matter what we do or what we think we are, we are just passing on this Earth for a short while, leaving most of the things we touch worsened and poorer. A great sunset will always be a great sunset, but one day somebody could see it framed by concrete buildings instead of tree branches.

I am using Nikon materials since 1996. Before that, it was Olympus. I really liked the Olympuses for their small size and weight. One could carry two bodies and four lenses in a small bag with no problem at all. I switched to Nikon (MF) because of reliability and optical quality. I feel uneasy with the new auto everything cameras: I always preferred "classic" manual focousing cameras, easy to use and sturdily built. I started with two FM2n and one MD12. After about two years I decided to give the F3 a try, so I bought a beautiful used one. I liked it so much that now I use the FM2n just for snapshots with colour neg film, while my "serious" photography is done with the F3 and Kodachrome slide film. A few months ago I was able to spot a brand new black F3/T for a very good price, so I bought it. I think the features found in a F3 (or a FM2n, FM3a, Leica R6.2, and... no, there is no more) are just what one could seriously ask, if he wants to decide how the picture will look like. I think there will be a new trend towards classic cameras since they fulfill the basic needs of most photographers with an elegance unfound in the new autoeverything plastic cameras.

I found the Nikonians site about one year ago, I think. I like this site because of the enthusiasm of the people here, and because it's a rather calm and polite place. What I do not like that much is a certain kind of fanatism about everything Nikon happens to produce. In my opinion, if a new camera or lens shows some shortcoming, it would be better for us photographers to state it clearly and loudly, so that next time the Nikon people will think twice befor making something silly.

I have a web site, http://www.infinito.it/utenti/maremmaphoto, where I show my landscape pictures. Unfortunately, when I am in Rome I am often in a hurry, so I do have little time to make it better.

Good bye to everybody,
Geo

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 20-Mar-01 01:51 AM
#57. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 39

Giorgio:
We have more things in common than either of us could have thought. I also started out as an engineer and an MBA, although I also studied mathematics, law and economics (a MSc in Industrial Engineering and PhD in Business and Applied Economics)
As you suggested, the challenge is to have an interest in leaving a footprint, even knowing it is on the sand, and by the ocean.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

jstream Basic MemberWed 28-Feb-01 02:20 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "My Random Thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 04:28 PM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-01 AT 04:24 PM (GMT)

Hi All,

I found this community sometime last summer. I just stumbled across it while wandering aimlessly (something I'm very good at).

I'm 39, married to a very "understanding about most things photographic" wife Sara. We live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, the former beer capital of the world, now just home to Miller and Sprecher.

I recently left the computer world (got sick of looking for a new job every year), and decided that photography was where I started - I attended the Milwaukee Center for Photography, and that is probably where I should be. I'm working in a camera store <http://www.helixphotoart.com>, and loving every minute of it. My wife and I also run a small Taekwondo school and are both 3rd degree black belts and certified instructors. And I'm moderating the "Shooting Issues/Portraits" forum - SO SHOOT SOME PORTRAITS, SEND THEM IN, AND LETS GET TALKING!!!!!!!!!!

All this of course means that I don't have nearly as much time for shooting as I would like, but I do manage to get out a fair amount. It will of course get easier come spring. It does get awfully cold here in the winter.

I am a semi-pro shooter, and hope to expand on that, but fine art is where my education was and where my heart is. I am a committable large format shooter, but use the Nikons for street, travel, sports, and wildlife. I also love to experiment with alternative processes, pinholes, toy cameras, etc.

I maintain a web site as a private gallery for myself and for friends to easily see my work in progress and to comment although I'm under increasing pressure to open up to sales (I'm stillll not sure...). Please feel free to stop by and visit at:
<http://www.execpc.com/~jstream>

William A. Rieselbach

William A. Rieselbach

NikF2AS Basic MemberThu 01-Mar-01 01:35 AM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: My Random Thoughts"
In response to Reply # 40

Melbourne, AU

I'm 28 years old and found this fantastic site soon after its inception via nikonlinks.com and sort of stuck around since then.Like the layout and the friendly atmosphere here in sharp contrast to the sometimes nasty (occasionally funny) flaming on photo.net.
I came late to photography but found plenty of time last year to indulge in this hobby as i took a year off from my medical profession in the hospital to recuperate.I burned a big hole in my savings and lots of film at the same time but enjoyed every minute of it.I love landscape photography most of all but due to the lack of time this year,i'm trying out other stuff like still life and street photograpny when i can't get away from the city.
I have a preference for all things mechanical so that's where my interest in Nikon lies.I absolute love the Nikon F2 and Nikkormat FTN cameras and the older manual focus Nikkors.I get plenty of joy out of the results i get from this old but still great gear.I have invested in other system like Contax and Carl Zeiss prime lenses before i got on to Nikon but now firmly subscribe to the thinking of photographer rather than the gear makes the most difference.
My favourite threads here are the "critisize me", "photo i took" and "Nikonians cafe". Keep it up folks and thanks to JRP and Bo for the great site.

Jasper Tiong
Melbourne

Arturo Basic MemberThu 01-Mar-01 04:10 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Santiago, CL

Well, this is a very special community. Indeed, the freedom and kind of naivety (very scarce this days) for expressing the feelings and significant events in our lives is not easy to find. Is up to us to protect this site and help it to growth, and as far as I've seen: mission accomplished BRAVOOO

I already share highlights of my life at the "This is me - Tell me about you" thread http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=9&forum=DCForumID10 but in a nutshell I am 43 years old, and I live in Chile, graduated engineer and linked to the IT business for the last years. I found this site when it's name was Nikonian and since then I don't make any decision regarding photography, without looking on it or even opening a threat for it. I am very new in photography; therefore I eagerly read about it wherever I can (magazines, web sites and books - I have a very helpful Ansel Adams books where I've learned very much)

Due to my job I travel frecuently and I have been carrying all my stuff (Nikon N90s/Tokina 28-70 2.8ATX/Nikorr 50-1.8, etc. you can look at my profile if you like to know more) in a Tamrac backpack and my notebook on the other side. You can imagine that figure when assisting to serious meetings with managers and boards. But it is a nice equipment and I think I'll keep it until the new F100 (je,je);-). Meanwhile I recently purchase a Rollei Prego 90 for the rest of my family (they couldn't ever get use to the SLR) and for those trips where you really can't go with my 90's.

Look there is a lot of things to be told, but let other people to show their back-office. Congratulations to all the people that support this site (specially Bo and Jose Ramon-JRP) for this is an example of how sites should be.

Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 02-Mar-01 03:23 AM
#45. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 43

Jorge:
Gracias. Muy amable.
And congratulations on your purchase of the Prego. Let us know how it performs.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

Johnny Basic MemberSun 04-Mar-01 01:19 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

Hi everyone! I'm new to the list (been lurking about a week before signing up). Bo, JRP and the rest of you are doing a great job!

Let's see..what about me... I'm 32 and live in Southern NJ. I live 2 minutes from cornfields and not smokestacks and NYC. I'm pretty much a serious amateur. My story seems a little backwards. While a lot of people go from film to digital, I'm going the opposite way! Next thing you know, I'll be buying a view camera! My first camera? Probably some 110 camera with flashcubes. I do remember having a disc camera at one point in time (but I'm trying really hard to erase that part of my memory!).

My girlfriend and I went hiking on Mt. Charleston (near Las Vegas) two years ago. I fell and broke my Olympus point and shoot. When I took it in to have to repaired, I found that it would cost me as much as buying a new one so I let it go to the great scrapyard in the sky. I then started looking at digitals. I bought an Olympus C-2000 with the promise that I would learn more about photography. A month later, my girlfriend bought one. We both shared a common interest in photography and this was something we both could spend time doing together. A year ago, we went to Nikon School (very impressive show, btw).

Come summer, we decided to get back into film. I went and bought an F100 and the 28-105mm lens. A month later I got a deal on an SB-26 that I could not refuse. From then on, I had to budget film into monthly expenses!

Currently, I am tackling developing B&W on my own. Last fall, we went to Acadia NP and I shot a roll of Delta 100. I really liked what I saw but I didn't like the price of someone developing it for me ($20 a roll! Ouch!). I haven't done a whole lot of it yet but am looking forward to doing more.

Enough of my ramblings! I'm glad to be here. Hopefully, I can help you guys (and gals) out as much as you will be teaching me!

Regards,
Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

jnscbl Basic MemberSun 04-Mar-01 04:37 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 47

US

Hello, Johnny. Glad to know all of NJ isn't like Valkenvania in Nothing but Trouble.

There are about 350 views at this point and about 22 thumbnail bios. Step up to the mike and spill your guts, everyone!---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jrong Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 12:05 PM
2153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#49. "Hello Nikonians"
In response to Reply # 0

London, GB

Hi everyone!

I must say - many thanks to JRP, Bo and all the others for making Nikonians the friendly and informative place it is and such a cool place to hang out online. This is the best photography forum I've found on the web and it (coincidentally?) also happens to be a Nikon one .

I am 30 years old, female and working as a software developer for the financial industry in the City of London. I first got into photography when I was 11 with one of my dad's old hand-me-downs, a manual 1960's Yashica Rangefinger and a small set of ageing B+W filters. Saving up all my paltry allowance, I bought my own SLR, a Pentax ME-F SLR when I was 13, and have pursued photography off-and-on until my university years when it all took a back seat to other interests -- particularly, getting my electrical engineering degree, finding a job and all those tiresome 20-something preoccupations.

It wasn't until my last camera, an automatic Olympus - died, that I decided to venture forth into the world of Nikonians and invest in an F80 in the summer of 2000, just before I was to go on a walking holiday in the beautiful Berner Oberland! Needless to say, I was unfamiliar with the operations of my F80 and matrix metering, and the results were somewhat disappointing but I have since switched to Fuji slides and will never look back! I've recently also added an Epson scanner and a very elusive Nikkor 70-300mm ED lens to my kit so do visit my website (http://jrong.tripod.com) SOON for an updated gallery.

My other interests are varied - literature, philosophy, Linux and exploring the countryside. I'm currently reading "The Poetics of Space" by Gaston Bachelard - a book that will most likely enhance the way we look at architecture and our homes, an inspiration for unique photographs of these spaces! I check this site almost daily for postings on "A Picture I Took" among other equipment-related discussions. I'm pleased to "meet" all of you and may Nikonians thrive for a long, long time to come.

Jin

"Penguins Have More Sense" - A.L Kennedy

ArtemisWorks Photography

"Whatever debases the intelligence degrades the entire human being."

- Simone Weil

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberWed 07-Mar-01 08:52 PM
#51. "RE: Hello Nikonians"
In response to Reply # 49

Bratislava, SK

Jin,

Think I said hello to you earlier, but it never hurts to repeat oneself right? So, welcome to Nikonians. Good to have another linux and Nikon user onboard. Like your site.

It takes time to know what is really cool in life. Being a a true Nikonian is surely one thing Should you ever reach Deutschland again, just ping.

frankie Basic MemberWed 07-Mar-01 10:25 PM
#53. "RE: Hello Nikonians"
In response to Reply # 49

Alright! A Linux'er and a Nikonian... Are you single by any chance... <laugh> ...Just kidding...

Welcome aboard!

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

finselmom Basic MemberMon 19-Mar-01 09:07 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 0

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-01 AT 11:10 PM (GMT)

Okay, after spending many hours reading in the forums, exploring Nikonians, participating in the contests, and even bugging Bo and JRP a few times by email, I'm finally de-lurking.

My name is Celia Finsel, and I'm a Nikonian. I've been a member here since last June, I think. Some of you may recognize my name from winning last July's contest, which gave me the great honor of participating in the 2000 finals. I'm proud to say that I came in second...it's a huge honor for me, because I'm far from a pro. I'm 36 years old, and a stay-at-home Mom of one very active 4 year old boy. Unlike probably most of you, I'm also a digital only shooter now, although I did my time in high school with a C*n*n AE-1, developing and printing B&W, and some color slide work.

The SLR rarely saw the light of day after high school, but after the birth of my son, my Dad gave me a little Kodak DC20 digital cam. Despite the generally crude quality, I got hooked on digital. After the Kodak, I moved to a Konica Q-Mini, then an Agfa ePhoto 1280, and then I got wise and got a Nikon Coopix 800 in late April of 2000. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the first pictures out of that little Nikon--finally, a digital that really delivered! In May, I discovered some of the online contests and began competing, by June I'd discovered Nikonians and begun taking pictures almost daily, and by August, I realized that I am totally addicted to photography. I still don't know where it's going to take me, but I'm wise enough to know that getting there is most of the fun. I can hardly believe how much I've learned since I first picked up my CP800 last May. Now I'm learning my way around my CP990 (although it's in the shop right now...blown out pixels on the CCD. I'm suffering withdrawl pains...) Next step for me will probably be to get a decent printer and learn the ins and outs of that process. Believe it or not, I have only a few Ophoto prints of any of my shots!

Oh, let's see...a few other details. I have two Bachelor of Arts degrees, one in Music and the other in Art History. I play the viola and the saxophone, and sing, though not all at the same time. My husband is a very talented computer programmer and technical author...you can see more of what he does at www.finsel.com">www.finsel.com And you can see more of my photography at www.finsel.com/finselmom/portfolio">www.finsel.com/finselmom/portfolio.

Thanks everyone, especially to Bo and JRP for creating such a great site!

Celia Finsel
finselmom@finsel.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 20-Mar-01 01:54 AM
#58. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 56

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-01 AT 03:55 AM (GMT)

Celia:
It is a great pleasure to have you here.
Your portraits have become one of my challenges.
Have a great time
My profile
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time

ibuyufo Basic MemberWed 21-Mar-01 03:16 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: random thoughts about...."
In response to Reply # 58

Hi everyone. I just joined nikonians 2 weeks ago. I was actually looking for information about the 80-200 AFS lens from nikon and I guess yahoo pointed to one of the threads. I have a BS degree in Biology and currently work as a scientist for a diagnostic company which it shall reamain nameless. This is true! We're a startup and we don't have a name yet. I'm 29 years old (single and eligible) and going on to 30 although sometimes I act like I was 12. My first camera was the nikon n90s. I bought it in 96 and it came with a crappy plastic nikon lens. Out of stupidity or desperation for a long lens I bought a Quantaray 75-300 mm lens. A Quantary! Can you believe that??? After 5 years of using and complaining about the crappy lenses I got I came to my senses and plunked down my money on top of the line lenses. As luck would have it Cameraworld sent me the lenses and I was happy until I found scratches and dust in the lenses. I returned the lenses and received a replacement. Bad luck strikes a second time and got another scratched lens. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent. I bought an F5 and haven't even gotten 1 roll out of it. I just take pictures for fun not for profit. I guess that's about it.

Dave

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #1008 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.