Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians travel & meet: tours, gatherings, chapters topic #12124
View in linear mode

Subject: "Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles" Previous topic | Next topic
phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Mon 05-Nov-12 01:53 PM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles"

Boca Raton, US

Traveling to Conowingo Dam, MD Dec. 20-Dec 31st. Any idea of how the Eagle activity will be at that time of year. Coming from Near Hanover, PA. Any other interesting Nature spots to visit in this vicinity only.
Also, any hotel and food recommendations?
Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles
waltyoung Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
af4nc Gold Member
30th Nov 2012
phfcpa Silver Member
12th Dec 2012
waltyoung Silver Member
12th Dec 2012
          Reply message RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles-weatherman
phfcpa Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
               Reply message RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles-weatherman
waltyoung Silver Member
14th Dec 2012

waltyoung Silver Member Charter MemberTue 06-Nov-12 10:04 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Doylestown, US

I was there yesterday and could not tell you what today will be like much less 6-7 weeks from now. It is well known that the best months are Nov & Dec but much influences daily variation. Further, year-over-year variations are enormous though not well understood why. Eagle populatioons are rising but from my experience and memory 2009 was far better than 2010 & 2011. I physically fast-counted over 200 birds from my location along the cyclone fence. But I have spoken to other shooters there who have said they counted upwards of 300 that year. In 2010 and 2011 my high count was approximately 50. In each year I made the 100 mile trip approximately 10 times... perhaps I just was there on the wrong days (???). As important as population are light and where the birds fish and play. Yesterday was forecast as sunny all day and there was only thick cloud cover so, while I arrived at 7am I departed at 11am...short day. On Oct 24th there were about 30 eagles present (visible count, probably more by 2x) but they chose to hunt and play between my positioon and the dam (approx 600 ft. at nearest point). I shot over 20 events of adults and immatures diving on fish which is unusual (7-1pm). Unfortunately it was again mostly overcast so only 1 shot was of the angle and technical quality to keep. summary advice: dress really warm, bring a 400mm or bigger (and do not shoot beyond the island unless you have never shot eagles previously and do not want to come home with nothing to show for the effort), bring a collapsible chair, lot'sa CF cards, watch the weather forecast, hope the dam is generating electricity (this is what stuns the fish and causes the eagles to collect there over open water) and don't get distracted by other shooters in conversation. The best shots can be very close and sudden. My apologies for the long response.

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 10:01 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

I've been twice in the last 3 weeks. Plenty to shoot, come early, weekdays better to beat the crowd. I'll be there when you are,

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Wed 12-Dec-12 12:49 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles"
In response to Reply # 2

Boca Raton, US

Conowingo, possibly will be there around Dec 21-22nd, has anyone been there recently? Am or pm shoot?
Thanks again,
Phil

waltyoung Silver Member Charter MemberWed 12-Dec-12 10:23 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles"
In response to Reply # 3

Doylestown, US

I was there yesterday and have been going 1-2 times per week since the season (Nov-Dec) began.

The numbers of eagles are down from from my high experience in '09. This means much fewer shooting opportunities. Also, despite my best efforts to select the sunny days to visit the weatherman is an outright liar bent on tricking me; at least 4 of the 9 days I have been there he forecasted sun within the hour and there was heavy cover throughhout the day.

The dam has also been running fewer generating units producing less stunned fish during morning hours. It is possible to shoot in the afternoon but the sun has dropped behind the ridge immediately behind the shooters placing much if not all of the best shooting zones in deep shade.

All that said it continues to be the best place to shoot eagles in the Mid-Atlantic.

phfcpa Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Fri 14-Dec-12 12:12 AM
#5. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles-weatherman"
In response to Reply # 4

Boca Raton, US

Interesting comment about the Weather report. Here in florida, the same goes for their lack of accuracy. No offense meant to the weatherman. But, I always check the weather before doing outdoor Nature photography, and all of us agree that the weather prediction here is 100% guess. If they say Saturday will be the best day, sunday is, or vice versa. Normally happens all the time. Unless there are periods of Constant Sun, or constant poor weather, the reports are generally terrible.

So I guess Florida and at least the Mid- Atlantic have similar Weather Reporting Quality?

waltyoung Silver Member Charter MemberFri 14-Dec-12 11:51 AM
#6. "RE: Conowingo Dam, MD Bald Eagles-weatherman"
In response to Reply # 5

Doylestown, US

Does sound that way. The part that particularly irks me is the 2 hour (100 mile) journey both ways. Rise at 3:00am, drive 2 hours wait for the sun and the birds... only to get fair shots of the birds but without detail. That is OK the first 1-2 visits but after you have worked out all the shooting technique issues you want great, not fair.

Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians travel & meet: tours, gatherings, chapters topic #12124 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.