Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians travel & meet: tours, gatherings, chapters topic #11738
View in linear mode

Subject: "Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Austra..." Previous topic | Next topic
ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 17-May-11 11:30 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"

AU

I am in Queensland and would like to correspond with other Aust Nikonians.

Any takers?

If enough we could set up our "Down Under" chapter.

Why not?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/Cockfighting-1.gif

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Au...
robcran Silver Member
23rd May 2011
Jason_S
23rd May 2011
robcran Silver Member
25th May 2011
Jason_S
25th May 2011
smogpart Gold Member
26th May 2011
ozzy1
28th May 2011
wotalegend Silver Member
28th May 2011
ozzy1
30th May 2011
robcran Silver Member
31st May 2011
sarathf Silver Member
01st Jun 2011
ozzy1
02nd Jun 2011
me_two Silver Member
06th Jun 2011
Grunion Gold Member
07th Jun 2011
wotalegend Silver Member
07th Jun 2011
ozzy1
11th Jun 2011
robcran Silver Member
16th Jun 2011
Btlman Silver Member
26th Oct 2011
Mokummer Silver Member
10th Nov 2011
Lance B Silver Member
07th Dec 2011
PhotoByKim Gold Member
08th Dec 2011
Marjani Moderator
11th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jan 2012
Grunion Gold Member
02nd Feb 2012
Eiddy Silver Member
20th Jan 2012
Jason_S
21st Jan 2012
Eiddy Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012
wotalegend Silver Member
22nd Jan 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
23rd Jan 2012
scriberoo
27th Feb 2012
BeeFX
06th Mar 2012
John2607 Silver Member
12th Mar 2012
tomoliver
29th Mar 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Mar 2012
Mathy Silver Member
06th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
PhotoByKim Gold Member
06th Jul 2012
kombipete Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
19th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
23rd Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
23rd Aug 2012
Lance B Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
24th Aug 2012
ozscribe Silver Member
31st Aug 2012
Mathy Silver Member
05th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
05th Sep 2012
Marjani Moderator
08th Sep 2012
Grunion Gold Member
08th Sep 2012

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 23-May-11 04:40 AM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

This lament has been aired a couple of times over recent years in this sub-forum, and others. Occasionally someone has tried to get a local group together for a meet but for various reasons these fell over. Earlier this year there was actually a Nikonians Academy workshop series scheduled for AUS in July, but even that seems to have slipped off the agenda when I looked just now.

Although Australia ranks relatively high in Nikonians membership numbers by country, I think we just suffer here from a combination of (relatively) small number of photographers spread across an immense area.

I don't know what it requires to get a new chapter going but I assume the basic requirement would be an enthusiastic individual with a high level of commitment to building something from the ground up.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Jason_S Registered since 22nd May 2011Mon 23-May-11 01:51 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hahndorf, AU

Well it seems that we could have a tri state group right here! Meetups could be expensive though.
I would love to get together with others in my area. Anyone in Adelaide?

Jason

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 25-May-11 10:14 AM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 2

Westleigh, AU

Jason,

If you go back to topic #11073 in this forum you will find an Adelaide photographer Ron Bentley in discussion with myself and others. The discussion was on the same topic as this thread we're in now. I also did some private messaging with Ron. He has a web site here http://bentleyphotographics.com/
I am not sure if he is still on Nikonians but you might be able to PM him either here or via his web site.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Jason_S Registered since 22nd May 2011Wed 25-May-11 01:44 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hahndorf, AU

Robert,
Thanks for the info I'll look back at that thread and see if I can contact Ron.
Jason

smogpart Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2007Thu 26-May-11 09:55 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 4

CONCORD, AU

All

I'm also a Sydney Nikonian and would be interested in any get togethers either in person, where practical, or say on a Skype conference video call.

I have just returned from the Nikonians 2011 Ultimate Travel Workshop (Central America for 3 weeks), thoroughly enjoyed myself and learnt so much about the countries visited and photography itself.

There is no reason why we could not discuss those topics of interest to us

I look forward to further discussion.

Josef
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Sat 28-May-11 12:13 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

I have recently bought a D7K and several lenses..and have an event coming up next week..a rellies 90th birthday..so right now, am working to learn my tools!

On my MIL's 104th BD, I tried to shoot w/o flash and the results were horrible...Thankfully, she looks like reaching 105, and by then, I hope to know how to wring the best from myself and my equipment.

I must say th last failure forced me to learn more about my camera and to go out and buy th Nikon and a SB-900 flash!

So discussion with you all may help resolve silly problems like that last shoot...and evaluate and critique the products of a furture one.

I noticed there was a Brisbane Nikonian a while back, and also one from Townsville...

So probably there are other Au members, but they just dont look in here.

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Sat 28-May-11 03:03 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 29-May-11 12:58 PM by wotalegend

Melbourne, AU

I have to admit to being one of those AU members who doesn't look in here too often. I think this is my first time for a couple of months. I'm in Melbourne, by the way.

I have been a Nikonians member for over seven years. Most of my Nikon gear is that age or older and I find that much of the talk in Nikonians centres on more recent gear which I don't have and can't afford right now, so it is of less interest to me. Also, most of my shooting is in film and there is not a lot of discussion here around film. I find that I get much more out of APUG, which I log in to daily.

Another reason that I don't come here too often is that, although I still have all my Nikon gear and use it regularly, I am moving more towards medium format and I have been building a Mamiya 645 system over the last couple of years.

However, having said all that, I am still interested in taking part in anything local and accessible. As an earlier poster said, the biggest problem that we may have is relatively few members over a very large area.

And, needless to say, after over seven years membership I am yet to meet another Nikonian.

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Mon 30-May-11 11:40 AM
#8. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

I hope we can find enough Niks in one area to get started..

We need a basic group meeting fairly regularly..and then we can arrange some get together where those from farther away might like to join in.

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 31-May-11 04:13 AM
#9. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 8

Westleigh, AU

One of the major problems is showing itself here. We are a few, spread over a large geography.

As one possibility, I am planning to visit the PMA show in Sydney 25-26 June. Haven't decided which day yet, but probably Saturday. If others wish to get together around PMA for a beer or lunch I would be happy to try to coordinate it via private messages etc.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

sarathf Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2009Wed 01-Jun-11 09:57 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 9

Figtree, AU

Hi,
Another Nikonion from NSW, Wollongong.
Cheers
Sarath

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Thu 02-Jun-11 10:28 AM
#11. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 02-Jun-11 10:29 AM by ozzy1

AU

Sounds good, Robert, but a bit far for me...However there shd be lots of Nikonians around Sydney and Melbourne...There's 3 near Sydney there already

me_two Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2004Mon 06-Jun-11 10:52 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 11

Brisbane, AU

Hi Ozzy1
I live in Brisbane
Be nice to get together with other Nikonians

Cheers
Mark (me_two)

Grunion Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2010Tue 07-Jun-11 10:04 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 11

Brisbane, AU

Hi Cedric,

Dean from Brisvegas here. I have not checked this forum before and just picked up the link and this thread from reading the eZine newsletter.

I was one of the three Aussies that were signed up for one of the Nikonians Academy sessions in Sydney set for this month. Unfortunately these sessions were cancelled, as they required a reasonable number of persons per session to make it worthwhile for the trainers to travel here from the USA. There were not even enough applications to have one person per session!

It would be better if we had an Australian chapter or two with local experienced trainers, and there is certainly no end of great sites in this country to run field workshops in as well. There are seemingly endless supplies of local photography courses, but it would be nice to have the Nikonians community thing happening here.

While I would love to see it happen I am not in a position to drive this, as it would take a lot of time and energy as noted by Robert. I suspect this is the case for most of us.

Cheers from (sunny?) Queensland

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Tue 07-Jun-11 11:54 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 13

Melbourne, AU

The distance problem in Australia should be no worse, and no better, than in the US. It's just that the US has 15 times the population to draw participants from. And it seems that another problem is lack of publicity. I was unaware until Grunion's post just now that there was any thought of holding a Nikonians Academy session in Australia.

The combination of those two factors meant that the session was doomed to failure. It was unrealistic to expect all Australian Nikonians to be attracted to a session in Sydney (they wouldn't expect all US members to be attracted to a single location session in New York), and it was unrealistic to expect much response from Australian Nikonians when many/most of us didn't even know about it. What's wrong with email?

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Sat 11-Jun-11 10:19 AM
#15. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 14

AU

I still have a house in Brisbane...so a meeting at th Brekkie Creek or similar shd be a starter.

As wotalegin just said, tho, communicating with all th Niks in Au is going to take a while...because we dont all look into this forum because we know there aint no Au site.

So how is th best way to tackle this?

How do we get in contact with every Australian Nikonian?

Perhaps one of the friendly, cooperative moderators can check through th member list and let 'em all know...

Fat chance

Or is there a member list that is available to members that can be sorted by location?

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 16-Jun-11 11:20 AM
#16. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

As I indicated in an earlier post one possible option coming up is the PMA show at Sydney Exhibition Centre.
I intend to go on Saturday.
If anyone wants to meet up to go for a bite (maybe in Harbourside) or a quick drink/chat, I will make sure I am at the Nikon stand at 1.00pm and will stay until 1.15pm (I cannot conceive of Nikon not having a stand).

The problem might be identification in what is likely to be big crowd. I guess I look like my avatar. I'll keep an eye out for anyone looking for someone else and not knowing who they are looking for.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Btlman Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Wed 26-Oct-11 10:07 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed 26-Oct-11 10:09 AM by Btlman

AU

Hi there, I am a Sydney Nikonian, I would look forward to hearing from other Australian Nikonians

Mokummer Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Oct 2007Thu 10-Nov-11 03:14 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 18

Engadine, AU

I agree with Robert, there have been many tries to get people together including me.

Why do we don’t we give it a serious try even if it only covers a small area.

There must be quite a few in and around Sydney, A meeting in Sydney should not be that difficult to arrange.

This discussion started on the 17th of May; now we are in November!!

Come on guys, are we serious!!

Lance B Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2010Wed 07-Dec-11 12:06 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 19

AU

I am another Sydney Nikonian and this is my first post here in possibly a year and part of the reason for my lack of posting is because of the lack of local interaction. I would love to meet up with other Nikonians from this site. I am actually on a local Photography forum as well but that is a generic forum.

I mostly get out during the week for photoshoots as it is too crowded on weekends.

I have a zoo pass for myself as well as a free guest pass if anyone is interested in a day at Taronga zoo.

My PBase site: http://www.pbase.com/lance_

PhotoByKim Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2011Thu 08-Dec-11 08:14 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 20

Canning Vale, AU

I am living in Perth. Not much help for those living in the East, but would be interested in meeting anybody in the West.

"People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." — Maya Angelou

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberWed 11-Jan-12 10:41 AM
3400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cocos (Keeling) Islands, AU

Here's another "Aussie" member, albeit a very remote member, living on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands. I do travel to Queensland at least twice a year, however a couple of years ago I did manage to meet up with several Nikonians from Perth for a week end shoot. Despite the crazy weather, we had a great time and it was interesting catching up with the "names" and finally put faces to avatars.

I missed the July workshops due to lack of interest, which was a huge shame. Perhaps this year more Aussies will realise the benefits in attending these workshops.

Cheers .....

Best Fishes ~ Karen <*((---{

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

Karens Cocos Reflections gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 11-Jan-12 01:56 PM
8673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Lots of good interest here.

My suggestion is to get a group of 3-4 members in an area with a reasonable population and make a decision to move ahead with a possible chapter. Schedule the first meeting or an outing that is attractive. Pick a date 6-8 weeks out.

While Nikonians cannot provide a list, we can send a message to all Australian Nikonians or those just in a specific region. It will be driven a bit by data. In the US and Canada, we distribute to a single state or province rather than a city. Just draft the email message with specifics and send it to me. Over time you will build a list of interested members.

You can also use the Nikonscope to search for members. It requires a bit of trial and error, but will turn up some interest.

If you are going to start two or three chapters at the same time, it makes sense to coordinate with a single email to launch the groups. With advance notice, my guess is you will have some members interested in more distant outings.

Sydney has a good population of members. Rick Walker was there not long ago and pulled together a good group for dinner. I'd build on that group as a start.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Grunion Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2010Thu 02-Feb-12 10:07 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 23
Thu 02-Feb-12 10:23 AM by Grunion

Brisbane, AU

Thanks for the tip about Nikoscope Eric. I finally got around to checking it out and found it is a great way to find other Nikonians in my area.

For those who haven't found it yet check out the Resources page from the tab at the top of the home page and you will see the Nikoscope link in the list. When I opened the Nikoscope page it automatically noted in the top right corner the number of Nikonians in my city. Clicking on this link brought up a list of all their usernames - 116 total listed in Brisbane, but less than 20 still active.

Cheers,

Dean

Eiddy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2012Fri 20-Jan-12 02:34 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Adelaide, AU

I know I am a bit late to the thread but...

I am in Adelaide and would be happy to be involved in a local group in Australia and if enough support perhaps in Adelaide also.

Jason_S Registered since 22nd May 2011Sat 21-Jan-12 11:01 AM
#25. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 24

Hahndorf, AU

Eiddy its good to see there is another Nikonian local to me here in SA. I'm in the hills and would be happy to meetup. Let me know if you are keen to organise something.

Jason

Eiddy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2012Sun 22-Jan-12 09:17 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 25

Adelaide, AU

Hey Jason,

I am at the bottom of the hill. But sounds good. PM me and we will try and sort something out.

Nick

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Sun 22-Jan-12 11:00 PM
#27. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 26

Melbourne, AU

Come on, Melbourne. Even Adelaide has at least two Nikonians. Surely I'm not the only one in 4 million!

Peter.

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Mon 23-Jan-12 04:08 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 27

Melbourne, AU

Hi Peter,
I'm in Melbourne. Have been over to the US for three different Nikonians Academy sessions with Mike Hagen and last year with David Tejada in LAX - fabulous sessions but I understand not everyone can do this...luckily I am a travel writer and managed to fit this in with other trips. Pity the Academy training did not happen in Australia.
I am sure there are plenty of Nikon users in Melbourne and we ought to be able to start an Australian Chapter.

cheers
Graeme

scriberoo Registered since 20th Dec 2011Mon 27-Feb-12 07:59 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 28

Leederville, AU

G'day all. I would say because of so few members and an already healthy outdoor lifestyle, is why it proves difficult to form a 'chapter'. Nonetheless, that shouldn't prevent us from remaining in touch through this superb website, and jumping on any seminars, trips etc that eventually come our way.

BeeFX Registered since 01st Mar 2012Tue 06-Mar-12 02:19 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 30

AU

I'm in Melbourne, and I'm happy to meet up whenever in Melbourne, however it makes it a little difficult when someone lives in Queensland as its a long way to travel. Unless at some stage we had a road trip collecting people as we went along? Logistics would be...a poo fight...

John2607 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Mon 12-Mar-12 11:42 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 31

Farrer, AU

When I look I find there are over 330 Nikonians in the ACT but I don't think any other ACT member has replied.

As with all things the difficulty is finding somebody who has the time and is prepared to put in the hard yards to organise an activity and then continue on due to a likely poor turn out.

I am interested but far to involved in other activities to even think of taking on such a task. Photography is unfortunately taking a bit of a back seat at the moment and I do get a bit disallusioned when I see the high quality of so much of the posted work.

The real difficulty though is going to be encouraging people to attend an event and the publicising of it. Email only works so far but is probably the only way to start.

I may well find it easier to attend something in the USA or Europe than locally, but do regularly travel to Adelaide (daughter lives there), Sydney and less frequently to Melbourne.

tomoliver Registered since 06th Nov 2007Thu 29-Mar-12 06:27 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 32

Brisbane, AU

Hi John,

I'm late to the post, but I notice the most recent response is 12 March 2012 so I'll jump in. I live in Brisbane and my area of interest is bird photography. I used to be a regular reader and contributor of posts, but over the past 12 months I've been on a national committee helping to merge PhotoBOCA and Birds Australia into a national bird photography group called BirdLife Australia Photography.

I'm also the Moderator for BirdLife Southern Queensland Photography, which will be a "stand alone" branch within the branch network. As you see my time has been taken up considerably by other duties.

I will be travelling down to Gluepot Reserve, which is near Renmark SA, next month and expect to be on the road for about 3-4 weeks. If anyone is interested in catching up for some bird photography on the way, let me know.

But back to the main point. This topic has bounced around for a long time and, until someone puts their hand up to own the issue, it will keep on bouncing around. Surely Nikonians in their respective towns/cities can get together? It does not have to be a national group to start with.

If the enthusiasm is there, the group will grow. You could start with a Skype hook-up or short newsletter to "test the water". Don't die wondering!

I've just renewed my Nikonians membership for another 2 years, well worth the money and I just couldn't help having a bit of a rant. My apologies.

Tom Oliver

Tom

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 29-Mar-12 10:14 AM
8673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 33

Atlanta, US

Tom raises a good point - if a few members would get together and schedule a kickoff event about 6-8 weeks out, we can send an email message to all regional Nikonians and help with a kickoff.

What we have seen in other locations is even a small event with a few people can be a lot of fun.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Mathy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Fri 06-Jul-12 03:05 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 34

Exeter, AU

Like others, I am late to this thread too. Nikoscope tells me there are 704 Nikonians (YES 704) in South Australia, many of them listed as being members for several years.

I'm only a Basic member (something I will change when I decide if this is the right place to be) so, apparently I can't access the details of these Nikonians.

This is a bit of a barrier to creating relationships . Cheers, Deb

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 24-Aug-12 10:54 AM
#49. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 34

Atlanta, US

Here's a link to a post with details on forming a chapter.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=324&topic_id=23&mesg_id=23&page=

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Fri 24-Aug-12 10:42 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 49

Melbourne, AU

Thanks Eric,
Sage advice in there.
We have definitely generated some interest.

G

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Tue 21-Aug-12 10:43 PM
#40. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 30

Melbourne, AU

Hi,
I am in Melbourne and a keen Nikonian - are you interested in trying to get a local chapter going?

Graeme (ozscribe)

PhotoByKim Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2011Fri 06-Jul-12 09:23 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canning Vale, AU

Hi All

I live in Perth over in the West. I have seen posts from at least two others living in West Australia but that in itself is not enough to start a chapter going. I am interested in catching up sith some WA Nikonians but we suffer from the tyrany of distance over here and getting something going in the east is not an option.

Cheers

kim

"People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." — Maya Angelou

kombipete Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 05:50 AM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

According to Nikoscope there are 10772 members in Oz. I'm moving around a tad at the moment but I'll make an effort to join you wonderful human beans for some shutter fun or just a feed & a drink.
cheers
Peter

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 19-Aug-12 01:13 PM
#38. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 37

Atlanta, US

10,772 would probably be cumulative registered members - not active members.

Don't forget, a meeting does not have to be in person. If you are in close to the same time zone, you could create or share in a webinar or other virtual experience. Many members have screen sharing software or alternate technologies that would work well for initial meetings or online discussions of software.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Tue 21-Aug-12 09:59 PM
#39. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 38

Melbourne, AU

Hi, another Aussie Nikonian - I am in Melbourne. I have been fortunate enough to combine business trips and have attended three Nikonians Academy workshops in the US over the past few years. They were fantastic experiences and I learned a lot. But not travelling as much now, I recently was in email contact with Director, Mike Hagen about the possibility of a webinar for Australians on the new D800/D4. He suggested it was not out of the question, but we need some numbers to commit, and the format worked better with shorter classes over a few days rather than a whole day online. Makes sense.
If any members Down Under are interested in the idea of some online learning about these new Nikon cameras please get in touch and I am happy to liaise with Mike about getting something organised.
PS - There would be a cost.

Graeme (ozscribe)

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 12:08 AM
#41. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 38

Melbourne, AU

Hi Eric,
I have been in contact through the forums and offline over the past 24 hours with a couple of members in an attempt to get something happening down here. There is some interest and willingness to coordinate.
But rather than wait for responses to forum posts, we wonder if it is possible for someone at Nikonians to send an email to all the Australian registered members to elicit their interest (privacy provisions observed of course). The idea would be to send a questionnaire asking if they are interested in establishing an Australian chapter, whether members would be interested in Nikonians training (face-to-face or by webinar), or whether they would simply like to be able to get together in their local capital city if there are enough for a "quorum".
Background is that I have travelled to the US on a number of occasions for business and arranged an extra day or three to take some Academy workshops over the past few years, so I do understand the benefit of the excellent training available. But I recently emailed Mike Hagen asking about the possibility of an online webinar about the D800 and he said it was possible - obviously depends on the numbers.
So bottom line is to establish whether we have enough interest.

kind regards
Graeme (ozscribe)

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 23-Aug-12 11:50 AM
#42. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 41

Atlanta, US

Email needs to be used sparingly, but we can send an email. Let's add a little more - a kickoff meeting or introductory meeting in addition to what you suggest.

I'm sure Mike Hagan is open to training if the economics work. We've also had good luck with chapters leading their own face to face training. Typically you will have one or more members who are expert on any given topic. I've also seen some groups use recorded webinars as the content for meetings and supplementing that with local discussion.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 10:39 PM
#43. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 42

Melbourne, AU

Hi Eric,

Thanks for quick response.
Our only issue in setting a meeting is where to hold it, ie which city across the wide brown land. Or maybe we do multiple meetings and link via Skype.
I will speak with the others I am in contact with through the forum. Meanwhile I might draw up a draft email for your consideration.
Is there a set requirement for formation of a chapter - minimum numbers, membership levels, moderators etc?

Thanks
Graeme

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 24-Aug-12 01:50 AM
#45. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 43

Atlanta, US

Certainly - send a draft to me via email and we'll take it off line.

The top of the forum has a general guideline for forming a chapter. It is intentionally flexible for you to decide what works best. I could see both a case for regional Australian chapters where there are members or one really large chapter with a bit more sharing of resources, planning, and even some virtual activities.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Fri 24-Aug-12 02:42 AM
#48. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? How about 10772?"
In response to Reply # 45

Melbourne, AU

Thanks Eric,

Will be back to you shortly after I take some feedback from those interested.

regards
Graeme

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Thu 23-Aug-12 10:41 PM
#44. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

Hi Ozzy,
Hope you are still on this forum - you would see from the new posts that we are starting again to encourage local members to get active in establishing a chapter or getting together for networking or training. I have been in touch with a number of members in NSW, WA and Vic. I am in Melbourne.
Would you be interested in/or willing to coordinate activities in your State?

cheers
Graeme (ozscribe)

Lance B Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2010Fri 24-Aug-12 01:52 AM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 44

AU

I am in Sydney and would be more than happy to meet up with fellow Nikonians. Keep me posted.

My PBase site: http://www.pbase.com/lance_

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Fri 24-Aug-12 02:40 AM
#47. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 46

Melbourne, AU

Thanks Lance, will keep you updated on our plans.
G

ozscribe Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2004Fri 31-Aug-12 10:50 AM
#51. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? - UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 46

Melbourne, AU

GOOD NEWS

Thanks to the positive feedback we received from this Forum and some from DPReview, we ARE proceeding with the establishment of a dedicated Australian Chapter of Nikonians.

Secondly, we can announce that a new online training workshop program will be offered by Nikonians Academy in our timezone, which means we no longer need to fly to the US to take advantage of the training in Nikon specific cameras, flash equipment, software programs or skills enhancement in the application of Nikon equipment. Academy Director Mike Hagen has personally committed to provide this to Australian members this year!

So on both counts this is a great result for us.

Full information will be provided here once we have confirmed dates/time/cost etc. This will also will be sent to those who responded to me on this forum, either directly or through local State coordinators in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. We would also like to find more interested members in Canberra, Tasmania and Northern Territory. Inaugural meetings are now being set up by the coordinators in each State.

Meanwhile we are arranging for nikonians.org to do a mass email to all registered Australian Nikonians to ascertain who would like to be part of this exciting development.

Big thanks to everyone here for your encouraging support and thanks to those members who have agreed to be coordinators. Please be assured it is still not too late if you or your friends wish to be a part of this. Feel free to email me and also to pass the information on to any shooters you feel might be interested in joining local chapter activities or the Nikonians Academy training.

regards

Graeme (ozscribe)

Mathy Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jun 2012Wed 05-Sep-12 03:15 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? - UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 51

Exeter, AU

What's happened about the mass email to members, as I have received nothing from Nikonians. I see there are 2 invites regarding eastern states members but that is all. I hope we're not going down the usual eastern-centric path with this!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 05-Sep-12 07:07 PM
#53. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia? - UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 52

Atlanta, US

Graeme is working on the email and related logistics. He's got a plan to include all areas of Australia. We need everything lined up before there is an email blast as we will not send a second mass email.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Marjani Moderator expert in ocean scapes and underwater photography Charter MemberSat 08-Sep-12 10:43 AM
3400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cocos (Keeling) Islands, AU

I'm one of the most far-flung Australian Nikonians I know of - unless of course there is someone living in Antarctica However if I'm in Brisvegas at the time there is a meet up... I'll be there

Best Fishes ~ Karen <*((---{

Waving the flag for Nikonians on the Cocos (Keeling) Islands and learning every day.

Karens Cocos Reflections gallery

Grunion Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2010Sat 08-Sep-12 11:35 AM
#55. "RE: Australia...Australia..Surely a few Nikonians in Australia?"
In response to Reply # 54

Brisbane, AU

Hi Karen,

I had to google the Cocos - you sure are out there! You have some fabulous photos in your gallery, especially like the hermit crab on the beach. You are always welcome in Brisvegas so if you keep an eye on this forum you should start to see what meetings or outings we are planning, not just for Brisbane but the other groups who are getting together also. We might even have our own Australian Chapter forum one day.

Cheers,

Dean

Forums Lobby TRAVEL & GETTING TOGETHER FORUMS Nikonians travel & meet: tours, gatherings, chapters topic #11738 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.