Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image noise: invisible to me but visible to others

Bob32

Chico, US
5753 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Tue 08-Jan-13 04:18 AM

I'm back again for technical feedback concerning some more basketball photos I recently posted on the Sports forum. This time the subject is noise. I'm showing here one of the six photos that I posted. It's the one that started off the comments I received at the time.

I received favorable comments on this photo, but three responders reported seeing noise, notably in the black uniforms and in the blue paint along the gym walls. Two of the responders reported that they are especially sensitive to the noise issue because they have clients who require them to supply very clean images. Another report went into more details: "It is all those purplely (that's a word, right? ) and green specs all thru the black uniforms and in the blue in the walls." Ouch! This came as a big surprise, because I don't see the noise that they are referring to. I have no reason to doubt that they are seeing noise, but it is not apparent to me.

I am wondering if any of you here see the noise. This image was shot with my D700 at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 8,000. It was a bit under-exposed. This was a RAW image, so I performed noise reduction in ACR. It seemed to me that I had satisfactorily reduced the noise, but apparently some remained that is visible to others. My settings for the noise removal were 30 for Luminance and 15 for Color. From the detailed report it appears that I should have moved the Color slider to a higher setting such as 25 which is the default setting.

I'm not certain of the best way to deal with this issue. I'd appreciate any comments that might prove helpful.

I've considered the possibility that this phenomenon of not seeing noise that others can see might somehow be explained by my senior citizen eyesight, so I have sent an inquiry to my eye doctor for his opinion. However, I have not yet received a response.

Bob

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Image noise: invisible to me but visible to others

G