Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9973
View in linear mode

Subject: "January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geogra..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Wed 01-Jan-14 02:17 PM
4074 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geographic"
Wed 01-Jan-14 02:20 PM by rmigliaccio

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

Happy New Year!!

I have an idea for 2014's assignments. The theme for the entire year will be the "cover shot". Each month will be a different magazine. You are the magazine photographer and your assignment is to capture the perfect image for the cover of that month's magazine. You will have complete freedom to choose the subject of your image so long as it is appropriate for the chosen magazine; however, the image must clearly be "cover worthy". Your image(s) must be presented in the "portrait" format as if it were going directly on the cover of the magazine. Landscape oriented shots will not be permitted. You may "photoshop" the magazine cover name on to the image for effect, but it is not required.

The January "cover shot" Assignment is “National Geographic”.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF JANUARY, 2014. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to January, 2014, is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Ge...
DaddySS Gold Member
01st Jan 2014
Reply message Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines
domer2760 Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
     Reply message RE: Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines
tekneektom Gold Member
25th Jan 2014
          Reply message RE: Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines
domer2760 Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
Reply message Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest
skibreeze7 Gold Member
02nd Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest
okcarol Silver Member
03rd Jan 2014
skibreeze7 Gold Member
04th Jan 2014
birdied Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
skibreeze7 Gold Member
05th Jan 2014
Joecosentino Gold Member
03rd Jan 2014
Reply message Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex
tekneektom Gold Member
12th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex
KStiles
13th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex
nikocarol Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
Camel Toad
15th Jan 2014
Reply message Under the layer
olivierrychner Gold Member
20th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Under the layer
slalom002 Silver Member
20th Jan 2014
Reply message Nat Geo - Miracle or Menace?
domer2760 Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
Reply message Nat Geo - Plant Breeding
domer2760 Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
Reply message Warm Light On A Very Cold Day
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Warm Light On A Very Cold Day
domer2760 Silver Member
30th Jan 2014
     Reply message RE: Warm Light On A Very Cold Day
tekneektom Gold Member
31st Jan 2014
Reply message Northern Boreal Forest
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Jan 2014
Reply message Northern Rivers
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Northern Rivers
SheriB Silver Member
28th Jan 2014
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Jan 2014
rnagel Silver Member
30th Jan 2014
Reply message Lichens
GBaylis Silver Member
29th Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Lichens
domer2760 Silver Member
30th Jan 2014
     Reply message RE: Lichens
GBaylis Silver Member
30th Jan 2014
txstone12 Gold Member
31st Jan 2014

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Wed 01-Jan-14 02:37 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geographic"
In response to Reply # 0

Woodcliff Lake, US

Terrific idea! Now we have to get to work!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 25-Jan-14 03:51 PM
735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 25-Jan-14 03:54 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Darn!! Attached this to the wrong reply button. Sorry!

This is my second cover from yesterday's shoot.

D700, Nikkor 135mm AFD DC, f/8, 1/40 sec, ISO 1600. Lighting from overhead fluorescents and a large reflector for fill.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 25-Jan-14 08:31 PM
1792 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines"
In response to Reply # 15

Land O Lakes, US

Dan,

Nice series!

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 25-Jan-14 10:12 PM
735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nat Geo - Plant Vaccines"
In response to Reply # 17

Ann Arbor, US

Thanks Tom! I hope you got your fingers unfrozen from your camera.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Thu 02-Jan-14 06:18 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/4 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 16mm, +2.5 ND Grad

Had my first opportunity in over a month to shoot a sunset today, and remembered to shoot some vertical captures for this month's assignment. This was one of my favorites from tonight, and decided the "theme" for the cover would be "Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest."

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

okcarol Silver Member Charter MemberFri 03-Jan-14 08:44 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest"
In response to Reply # 2

Rockaway, US

WOW!

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 04-Jan-14 02:48 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest"
In response to Reply # 4

Astoria, US

Carol, this was one of those rare occurrences where all the conditions necessary for a memorable shot, just happened to come together at the right time.

Best regards,
Darryl

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Sun 05-Jan-14 02:41 AM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest"
In response to Reply # 2

Destrehan, US

Gorgeous shot.
Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 05-Jan-14 04:25 AM
#7. "RE: Top Destinations of the Pacific Northwest"
In response to Reply # 6

Astoria, US

Thanks for the nice comment, Roberta. Those are quite exquisite "drop" shots in your gallery. Very nice.

All the best,
Darryl

Joecosentino Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Sep 2012Fri 03-Jan-14 02:44 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geographic"
In response to Reply # 0

Whitesboro, US

Sounds like a fun project. I hope to get some shots this weekend

http://www.keeponshooting.com

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 12-Jan-14 12:09 AM
1792 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 12-Jan-14 12:10 AM by tekneektom

Land O Lakes, US

I couldn't help it! I've always wanted to be on the cover of National Geographic.

D800, Nikkor 85mm 1.8G, ISO 400, f/8 at 1/160 sec.
Simulated National Geographic Cover constructed in PS

KStiles Registered since 08th Oct 2013Mon 13-Jan-14 03:01 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex"
In response to Reply # 8

DFW Metroplex, US

NICE!

nikocarol Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2010Fri 24-Jan-14 12:47 AM
274 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikonian Survives Polar Vortex"
In response to Reply # 8

Santa Fe, US

Awesome!!! Congrats Tom for making your dream come true..LOL

Camel Toad Registered since 06th Dec 2012Wed 15-Jan-14 06:50 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geographic"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 15-Jan-14 07:33 PM by Camel Toad

Austin, US

America's Endangered Habitats

D7000 in Nauticam housing, Tokina 10-17 @ 17mm, 1/250 F16 ISO100
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/11741014753_c0775c7426_c.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91695623@N08/11741014753/
(exif data is publicly viewable)

I shot this photo on 3 Jan 2014 diving a spring-fed lake in San Marcos, Texas. This lake is habitat for many endangered species, and special permission (as well as scientific diver training & certification) is required to dive these waters.

-James

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Mon 20-Jan-14 06:12 AM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Under the layer"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-Jan-14 06:12 AM by olivierrychner

CH

Hi!

Trying my luck... from under the layer

D700, 28-300VR, ISO 200, f/10, 1/640. PP in LR4.4 and CS6.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

slalom002 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2008Mon 20-Jan-14 08:17 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Under the layer"
In response to Reply # 11

Bern, CH

>Hi!
>
>Trying my luck... from under the layer
>
>
>
>D700, 28-300VR, ISO 200, f/10, 1/640. PP in LR4.4 and CS6.
>
>Olivier Rychner

Olivier,

Nice shot, too bad there is no snow

Glad to see that you managed to get your head above the "brume". Most of us seem to be shooting B&W (or grey and grey) down in the plateau these days.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 25-Jan-14 04:05 AM
#14. "Nat Geo - Miracle or Menace?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I normally don't photograph anything that talks so this is a departure for me.
One of my work colleagues agreed to be my model and another agreed to be my lighting assistant. It takes a village...

Taken with D700 and Nikkor 135mm AFD DC, f/8, 1/80, ISO 1600. Lighting was from overhead fluorescent lights and a large reflector for fill.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 25-Jan-14 06:22 PM
#16. "Nat Geo - Plant Breeding"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 25-Jan-14 06:28 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Last cover from the shoot. It's amazing how the model's expression sets the tone for the "article."

D700, Nikkor 135mm AFD DC, f/8, 1/50 sec, ISO 1600. Lighting from overhead fluorescents and a large reflector for fill.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 28-Jan-14 06:38 PM
#19. "Warm Light On A Very Cold Day"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 35mm 2.0D, ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/125 sec. Post processing in LR5. National Geographic cover constructed in PS.

With the 2nd wave of Arctic Air associated with Polar Vortex I ventured from the house near sunset and caught this light at -11 degrees Fahrenheit. The light is warm but the air was absolutely frigid.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 30-Jan-14 03:41 PM
#26. "RE: Warm Light On A Very Cold Day"
In response to Reply # 19

Ann Arbor, US

Nice series Tom. I was not as brave as you and took my photos indoors.

cheers!

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 31-Jan-14 12:35 PM
#29. "RE: Warm Light On A Very Cold Day"
In response to Reply # 26

Land O Lakes, US

Thanks Dan. We're on the road again, so watch for images from warmer climates!

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 28-Jan-14 08:08 PM
#20. "Northern Boreal Forest"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 35mm 2.0D, ISO 200, f/20, 1/30 sec

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 28-Jan-14 08:11 PM
#21. "Northern Rivers"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 85mm 1.8G, ISO 100, f/14, 1/6 sec - with ND filter. Post processing in LR5, Nat Geo cover constructed in PS.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 28-Jan-14 09:24 PM
1627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Northern Rivers"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Besides the wonderful images.I find the other article titles amusing..

Sheri Becker

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 28-Jan-14 11:23 PM
#23. "RE: Northern Rivers"
In response to Reply # 22

Land O Lakes, US

Thanks Sheri. I've had fun with this assignment and I love going a bit over the top. At least it shows that you read my article titles!

rnagel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2011Thu 30-Jan-14 02:14 AM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Northern Rivers"
In response to Reply # 23

Mequon, US

Tom,

Was that river shot at Bond Falls? Enjoyed the series as well.
Great shots.

Rich
Thanks for the help.

GBaylis Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2012Wed 29-Jan-14 12:39 PM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "Lichens"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakford, Devon, GB

D800 + 105mm f2.8
ISO 100, 1/20s at f8.0
Stacked from 44 images

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my personal website: www.gbphotosandframing.co.uk

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 30-Jan-14 03:46 PM
#27. "RE: Lichens"
In response to Reply # 24

Ann Arbor, US

Goeff,
Really nice stack. Makes the image look three-dimensional.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

GBaylis Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2012Thu 30-Jan-14 05:14 PM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Lichens"
In response to Reply # 27

Oakford, Devon, GB

Thanks Dan.

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my personal website: www.gbphotosandframing.co.uk

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Fri 31-Jan-14 04:07 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: January, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - National Geographic"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

National Geographic feature, "San Antonio – Gateway to Mexico"
Cover Photo: San Juan Capistrano Mission, founded 1731, at sunset

D800 70mm (70-200mm f/2.8) f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 200

I was looking for a shot of the mission with San Antonio River in the background. Unfortunately, the mission is not that close to the river, so I had to improvise. I like the glow through the bell portals. The mission is just South of San Antonio.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9973 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.