Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9937
View in linear mode

Subject: "December, 2013 Assignment - Geometric Patterns" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Mon 02-Dec-13 01:01 PM
4078 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"December, 2013 Assignment - Geometric Patterns"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

The December Assignment is “Geometric Patterns”.

This month's assignment requires you to photograph geometric forms, meaning and intending subjects with patterns consisting of balance and symmetry.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF DECEMBER, 2013. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to December of 2013 is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Tea Strainer
domer2760 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2013
Reply message Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago
tekneektom Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago
domer2760 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago
tekneektom Gold Member
03rd Dec 2013
Reply message Rubik's Cube
gmth Gold Member
04th Dec 2013
Reply message Eggxtraordinary
gheck58 Silver Member
05th Dec 2013
Reply message Pi Cubed
domer2760 Silver Member
05th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Pi Cubed
rstcso Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: Pi Cubed
domer2760 Silver Member
06th Dec 2013
Reply message Nikon Geometry
domer2760 Silver Member
05th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Nikon Geometry
rstcso Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
05th Dec 2013
domer2760 Silver Member
06th Dec 2013
Reply message PCR Plate
domer2760 Silver Member
08th Dec 2013
Reply message Frozen Chain Link Fence with ice crystals
D2Xstatic Silver Member
09th Dec 2013
Reply message Gate Art
D2Xstatic Silver Member
09th Dec 2013
Reply message John Hancock Building, Chicago - An Unconventional View
tekneektom Gold Member
10th Dec 2013
Reply message Pritzker Pavilion Millenium Park Chicago
tekneektom Gold Member
10th Dec 2013
Reply message Porches On A Glass Condo Building, Chicago
tekneektom Gold Member
10th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Porches On A Glass Condo Building, Chicago
domer2760 Silver Member
10th Dec 2013
Reply message Geometric Patterns - SOUTHERN BALDCYPRESS SEEDS
KStiles
10th Dec 2013
Reply message Extra-Geometric Patterns
Dgastrong Gold Member
11th Dec 2013
Reply message RE: Extra-Geometric Patterns
kennoll Gold Member
11th Dec 2013
Dgastrong Gold Member
12th Dec 2013
kennoll Gold Member
12th Dec 2013
Reply message Bent Spring
jwmatthews Silver Member
11th Dec 2013
Reply message Bent spring 2
jwmatthews Silver Member
11th Dec 2013
Reply message Marbles...
gmth Gold Member
13th Dec 2013
Reply message Maze - Geometric Patterns
Dgastrong Gold Member
15th Dec 2013
Reply message The Dance - Geometric Patterns
Dgastrong Gold Member
15th Dec 2013
Reply message Christmas Tree Globe
gmth Gold Member
21st Dec 2013
Reply message Tower of Power Redux
skibreeze7 Gold Member
27th Dec 2013
Reply message Tower of Power-Version2
skibreeze7 Gold Member
28th Dec 2013

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 02-Dec-13 07:20 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Tea Strainer"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I guess I will start this one off. This is a macro shot of the Escher-like pattern found on the bottom of a cylindrical tea strainer. Converted to BW in CS5.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/3.3, 1/125 sec, -1.0 EV, ISO 200

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 03-Dec-13 01:53 AM
1844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

When I saw that the month's assignment is Geometric Patterns I grabbed by camera and headed down to the Burberry Building on Michigan Avenue - we're here for a long weekend.

D800, 50mm 1.8D, ISO 800, f/8.0, 1/1250

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 03-Dec-13 06:01 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 03-Dec-13 06:02 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Fabulous shot Tom! Love the POV and tones.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 03-Dec-13 11:37 PM
1844 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Burberry Building - Michigan Avenue, Chicago"
In response to Reply # 3

Land O Lakes, US

Thanks Dan! And, I like yours. You do a great job with macro and must have quite an imagination. I suspect you were peeling carrots and suddenly thought...!

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Wed 04-Dec-13 04:14 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Rubik's Cube"
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

The geometric pattern and vivid colors of a Rubik's Cube...

D4 | f1.8 | 1/400s | ISO720 | 50mm

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 05-Dec-13 01:04 AM
2742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Eggxtraordinary"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

D700, 105VR at f/16. Elinchrom Quadra with an 8" reflector and 20 degree grid on light blue seamless. A white reflector for a little fill. Post in LR5.

Hecky

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 05-Dec-13 04:29 AM
#7. "Pi Cubed"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Please accept my apologies. I was feeling incredibly geeky this evening. The "decimal point" is the end of a skewer.

D700, Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 @ 27mm, f/5.6, 1/10sec, ISO 1000.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 04:48 PM
787 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Pi Cubed"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 05-Dec-13 11:27 PM by rstcso

Round Rock, US

Apology excepted.

What about cropping the right so you can't see the dice end, thus infinity? As is, I believe you have a rounding error.

Your pictures are inspiring for my can't-think-outside-the-box personality. Thank you.
Brent

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 06-Dec-13 06:12 PM
#12. "RE: Pi Cubed"
In response to Reply # 10

Ann Arbor, US

Brent,
Thanks for excepting my apology. Rounding error - drat!

I re-shot this with a 6th die on the right side. I cropped at the leading edge of that die to hint at a larger series, take care of the rounding error, and assuage my inner geek. That said, I am going to let this photo stand for the contest. The devil is in the details.

Thanks for your comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Thu 05-Dec-13 04:26 PM
#8. "Nikon Geometry"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

This is the grip and rear cap of a Nikon 100mm f/2.8 series E lens. Repetition, pattern, geometric shapes, and lines - it has them all.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/16, 1/4sec, ISO 1000.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2013Thu 05-Dec-13 04:38 PM
787 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon Geometry"
In response to Reply # 8

Round Rock, US

Great execution of tying the objective to photography through photography.

Brent

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 05-Dec-13 11:14 PM
#11. "RE: Nikon Geometry"
In response to Reply # 8

Land O Lakes, US

Impressive mixture when you take all three images into account. Nice work.

Tom

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Fri 06-Dec-13 06:17 PM
#13. "RE: Nikon Geometry"
In response to Reply # 11

Ann Arbor, US

Tom and Brent,
Thank you for your kind comments.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 08-Dec-13 03:48 PM
#14. "PCR Plate"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 08-Dec-13 03:49 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Last one for the month. This is a machined heat transfer block for a PCR thermocycler. The tapered wells are less than 5/16" in diameter at the top.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/16, 1/15 sec, ISO 800.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Mon 09-Dec-13 11:22 PM
720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Frozen Chain Link Fence with ice crystals"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

D700, 300mm afs with TC14EII,ISO 320, f11, 1/320s, -9fahrenheit

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Mon 09-Dec-13 11:25 PM
720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "Gate Art"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

D700, 300mm afs with TC14EII, ISO 320, f11, 1/400s

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 02:15 AM
#17. "John Hancock Building, Chicago - An Unconventional View"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, 85mm 1.8G, ISO 400, f/8, 1/125 sec.

Came upon the Hancock Building on a very foggy day and approached the NE corner of the building and made exposure looking almost straight up. I like the geometric repetitions and the way the building disappears into the fog.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 02:48 AM
#18. "Pritzker Pavilion Millenium Park Chicago"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, 85mm 1.8G, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/320 sec.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 10-Dec-13 02:58 AM
#19. "Porches On A Glass Condo Building, Chicago"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, 50mm 1.8D, ISO 400, f/5.0, 1/160 sec converted to B&W in LR4

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Tue 10-Dec-13 01:41 PM
#20. "RE: Porches On A Glass Condo Building, Chicago"
In response to Reply # 19

Ann Arbor, US

Wonderful series Tom! Your archetecture photos really have that "Wow" factor. Stay warm!

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Follow me on Facebook.

KStiles Registered since 08th Oct 2013Tue 10-Dec-13 06:57 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "Geometric Patterns - SOUTHERN BALDCYPRESS SEEDS"
In response to Reply # 0

DFW Metroplex, US

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Wed 11-Dec-13 12:47 AM
865 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Extra-Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

Here's one that may be tough to figure out. Hint, about 3-inches in diameter, all metal, mostly iron, some nickel, and some less common metals. Acid etched to reveal the geometric or crystalline structures.

Shot with my D7000, 70-200mmf2/8 @200mm, ISO 250, +0.3 exposure comp, 1/30sec.

Enjoy,

Dale

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Wed 11-Dec-13 07:19 PM
793 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Extra-Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 22

Seattle, US

Bocce ball?

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Thu 12-Dec-13 12:37 AM
865 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Extra-Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 23

Sonoita, US

Sorry Ken. It's actually an nickel-iron meteorite that has been carved into a sphere and etched with acids to reveal the Widmanstätten pattern in 3D. It is from a fall that was found in Siberia a few years back.
Thanks for taking a guess!
Dale.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 12-Dec-13 12:50 AM
793 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Extra-Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 26

Seattle, US

Wow! That's cool!

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

jwmatthews Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Wed 11-Dec-13 10:14 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "Bent Spring"
In response to Reply # 0

Kasilof, US

Macro of a spring. D-700, Tokina ATX Pro 100, f5.6 1/160 ISO 1000
Taken on black background and multiple led flashlights for lighting. The Black and white conversion done in lightroom. I used f 5.6 to create a shallow DOF, fading the spring into the background.

jwmatthews Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Wed 11-Dec-13 11:47 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "Bent spring 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Kasilof, US

Macro of a spring, a different approach than the first. D-700, Tokina ATX Pro 100 f18 at 1/5.

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Fri 13-Dec-13 01:38 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "Marbles..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

Marbles with oil paint filter in Photoshop.

D4 | f6.3 | 1/125s | 12800 | 85mm

my Nikonians gallery.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 15-Dec-13 10:40 PM
#29. "Maze - Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

From the Phoenix Museum of Art

D7000, 24-70mmf/2.8 @70mm, ISO3200, f/5.0, 1/50 sec hand held.
LR5.3, silver efex pro

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 15-Dec-13 10:43 PM
#30. "The Dance - Geometric Patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

Phoenix Science Museum.
D7000, 24-70 f/2.8 @ 70mm, ISO 2000, f/4.5, 1/250 sec
LR5.3
Enjoy,
Dale

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Sat 21-Dec-13 05:37 PM
#31. "Christmas Tree Globe"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 21-Dec-13 05:37 PM by gmth

Lewisville, US

When walking past the Christmas tree, I noticed this globe that would qualify for this assignment...

D4 | f4.5 | 1/40 | 12800 | 85mm

my Nikonians gallery.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 27-Dec-13 08:46 PM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "Tower of Power Redux"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/125 sec, ISO 400, 16-35VR @ 26mm

I've photographed this tower before, but shot it again for this
month's assignment.

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 28-Dec-13 02:51 AM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "Tower of Power-Version2"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/125 sec, ISO 400, 16-35VR @ 26mm

Employed distortion in PS6 for this second version.

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9937 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.