Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9509
View in linear mode

Subject: " January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 12:03 PM
4078 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
Tue 01-Jan-13 12:07 PM by rmigliaccio

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

The January Assignment is “BREAK THE RULES”.

You are all aware of the various “rules” or “guidelines” that are supposed to govern your photography. For example:

• Rule of thirds
• Balancing elements
• Leading lines
• Use of symmetry and patterns
• Watch your backgrounds
• Watch your foregrounds
• Creative cropping
• Framing of the subject
• Angle of light
• What should be blurred
• Etc.

This month’s assignment is to break the rules. A great article posted on a National Geographic site (http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/breaking-the-rules/) is an awesome place for you to start as you consider how you are going to break the rules this month.

One requirement – YOU MUST TELL ME THE RULE YOU BROKE WHEN YOU POST YOUR SUBMISSION! Let’s make this interesting and instructive – why did you break the rule? What did you hope to achieve? Do you think you achieved it?

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF JANUARY, 2013. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to January of 2013 is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules
mattpayne11
02nd Jan 2013
Reply message Mallards on Alert
D2Xstatic Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Reply message Who says your subject has to be in SHARP, CRISP FOCUS?
tekneektom Gold Member
04th Jan 2013
Reply message Centered subject with centered horizontal
mefnj Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
Reply message Centered Subject
tekneektom Gold Member
14th Jan 2013
Reply message Leaf Litter
domer2760 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
Reply message Reach For The Sky
DeanAZ Moderator
21st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Reach For The Sky
rutherfordphoto
21st Jan 2013
rutherfordphoto
21st Jan 2013
Reply message Image In The Golden Hours
tekneektom Gold Member
22nd Jan 2013
Reply message Shoot With Sun At Your Back
tekneektom Gold Member
24th Jan 2013
Reply message Frosty Weed
D2Xstatic Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
EAPhoto
25th Jan 2013
Reply message Beach Stroll
skibreeze7 Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Beach Stroll
MongoG Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Beach Stroll
skibreeze7 Gold Member
01st Feb 2013
Reply message Tranquility Bay
skibreeze7 Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
MongoG Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
MongoG Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
MongoG Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
MongoG Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
MongoG Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
Reply message Retention Reflection
DeanAZ Moderator
30th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: The Do...
jdroach Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: The D...
jdroach Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: A Ros...
jdroach Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
Reply message RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: Lumin...
jdroach Platinum Member
31st Jan 2013
hoseA Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Reply message Rule of Thirds and Balancing Elements
D2Xstatic Silver Member
01st Feb 2013

mattpayne11 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Wed 02-Jan-13 01:43 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Cool theme, I'll give it a go!

Colorado Landscape and Portrait photographer
D800, 14-24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4D, 85 f/1.4D
www.mattpaynephotography.com
www.100summits.com

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 08:31 PM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Mallards on Alert"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

I shot this yesterday at my favorite duck pond. This pair was on the grass when I arrived. There is a red tailed hawk that hangs out there and the drake mallard had his eye on him, circling above. The female was nervous on my account, as well as the hawk's. I broke the thirds rule with a large background and the drake's eye isn't looking at me. I felt the concern/ drama when I composed the pic. There is a small hill where the ducks were standing. I got low to get a better angle and put the female behind it and the drake. I felt the bokeh was good enough to smooth/ blur out the busy background, increasing the viewer's focus on the ducks. That was my reasoning for a 3/4 to 1/4th composition
D300, 400mm Ai-S, TC 14e-II, 1/100s, f4, -1EV under 200, -.0.7 EV, Auto WB

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 10:59 PM
1838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Who says your subject has to be in SHARP, CRISP FOCUS?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

While taking down the Christmas decorations I suddenly thought about how some of the lights would look if imaged with a telephoto lens set about 30 feet from the lights and focus the lens at about 3 feet. The result is exactly as anticipated; out of focus, colorful and interesting.

D7000, Tamron SP 70-300 at 300mm, ISO 400, f/5.6 at 1/15th

mefnj Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009Sun 13-Jan-13 11:09 PM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Centered subject with centered horizontal"
In response to Reply # 0

US

f/8
ISO 200

3 captures combined using HDR Efex, then additional adjustments and touch-up using Color Efex Pro and Capture NX2

-Mark

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 14-Jan-13 03:46 PM
1838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Centered Subject"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Came across this predator on a bike ride in Charleston, SC.
Accepted Rule - got close
Accepted Rule - got closer
Accepted Rule - got really close
Broken Rule - centered eye and ingnored rule of thirds

D7000, Tamron SP 70-300 at 300mm, ISO 400, f/9.0 at 1/1200

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 21-Jan-13 09:42 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Leaf Litter"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Jan-13 10:33 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

A major rule for macro and closeup photography is to keep the background simple and avoid distracting elements that take your eyes away from the main subject. This photo breaks that rule with a vengence. Breaking the rule works (IMHO) because the foreground leaf isn't all that interesting. The really cool stuff is all around that leaf. My intention in taking this photo was to highlight the diversity of shapes, colors, and contrasts found in a simple pile of leaves.

D7000, 18-200 VRII @ 200mm, f/5.6, 1/20 sec, ISO 200, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.
Follow me on Facebook.

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Mon 21-Jan-13 10:19 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Reach For The Sky"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I went wandering in the desert today with every intention of breaking the rules. I have only had the 8mm fisheye for a month now and at first I found it quite limiting (if you intend not to break the rules.) Once you realize how plastic the scene is and that you can use the distortion and bending to some advantage you move around, change the level, rotate, add a little sun flare, bend the saguaro you can start having some fun.

Camera not level (in several planes)

D7000 f/18 1/80s ISO 100 Rokinon 8mm fish eye

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Mon 21-Jan-13 11:30 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Reach For The Sky"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver, CA

that's a cool shot

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Mon 21-Jan-13 11:29 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

I broke the rules by shooting directly into the sun, and including it in the frame. We have a fog inversion right now, so I decided to go up to a viewpoint to get some pictures of the bridges and skyscrapers poking out of the fog... alas, no cooperation so I was left to make the best of the situation.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8364/8404083218_bab772649b_c.jpg

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 22-Jan-13 11:37 PM
#10. "Image In The Golden Hours"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

One of the primary rules has always been "shoot in the golden hours" or stated another way "don't waste your time exposing images in the mid-day". I exposed this image at 1:11 pm.

D7000, Tamron SP 70-300mm at 300mm, ISO 800, f/13 at 1/640

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 24-Jan-13 11:25 PM
#11. "Shoot With Sun At Your Back"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

While walking in a nature area just off a beach on Marco Island, FL I came upon an Osprey (Fish Hawk) eating a fish while perched upon a Wildlife Area sign. The only good way to approach for a good photo was to circle the sign and then shoot into the sun. The image below demonstrates that you can get a good image while shooting up into sun with your subject backlit & toplit in high sunshine. It is also an example of allowing highlights to wash out a bit in order to capture detail in bird's wings.

D7000, Tamron SP 70-300mm at 300mm, ISO 200, f/10 at 1/200

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 05:49 PM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Frosty Weed"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

This has a busy foreground, lots of OOF places and leading lines. I think it still works. The viewer has a lot to look at. I enjoy the overlapping branches coming in and out of focus.
D700, VR85mm f3.5G, ISO 200, f10

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Fri 25-Jan-13 10:11 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 25-Jan-13 10:12 PM by EAPhoto

Asheboro, US

Thinking about breaking the rules and following through with them while shooting proves to be just as hard as thinking about abiding with the rules. I usually just react with out much thought.

Early on during my photography journey I was taught when photographing animals for nature photography to always get the whole body of the subject in the shot.
While kayaking I rounded a point and came upon this heron and was to close with my 300mm to get the whole body in the frame in a horizontal position but I snapped anyway. I might have been able to squeeze the herons whole body in vertically but that would not have shown as much surroundings as I would have liked to.

Also while processing I broke the rule of tilting the horizon in the background. Granted it is harder to tell in the final product but I have included a full frame file for observation. I felt the tilt gave the heron a sense of interaction and intensity that is not actually the reality of the situation.

1 Full Body rule
2 Level Horizon rule
3 Ethical rule(one I still find hard to break from years of photojournalism)

D300, 300mm, f/5.6 @ 1250, ISO 200

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 04:02 AM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Beach Stroll"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/20 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 17mm

"Reverse the Active Space Rule"

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 06:16 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Beach Stroll"
In response to Reply # 14

Waunakee, US

Darryl,
I really enjoy this capture - very dramatic sky and a lot of subtle amazing colors. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 03:37 AM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Beach Stroll"
In response to Reply # 21

Astoria, US

Thanks for the kind remarks, Gary.

Best wishes,
Darryl

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sun 27-Jan-13 04:07 AM
#15. "Tranquility Bay"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 2 seconds, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 16mm

"Shoot into the Light" infraction

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 10:41 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Rob,
Thank you for the theme this month - it really pushed me to try several new techniques I had never attempted before - selective focus (where only a key element is in focus), intentional camera movement, and zooming in & out while shooting. More great stuff from Nikonians!
Thanks again,
Gary

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 10:45 PM
#17. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

The Butterfly Effect
Zooming in and out while shooting. Started wide open, then full zoom, then wide open.
Nikon D300, 18-200mm Nikor, ISO 200, f/8, 1.0s

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 11:03 PM
#18. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Pitcher Plant
Selective focus on left half of subject
Nikon D300, 50mm Lens Baby lens, f/8, 1/10s, ISO 200

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 11:06 PM
#19. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Green Maze
Intentional camera movement
Nikon D300, 18-200mm Nikor, 51mm, ISO 400, f/9, 0.8s

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 11:09 PM
#20. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 27-Jan-13 11:11 PM by MongoG

Waunakee, US

Catch the Wave
Intentional Camera Movement
Nikon D300, 18-200mm, 52mm, f/9, 2.0s, ISO 400

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 30-Jan-13 01:37 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Retention Reflection"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 30-Jan-13 01:38 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Water floods into the retention basins in my neighborhood during the really wet weekend we had. I loved the reflections of the trimmed up tree trunks and placed the nearest specimen dead center. I also cropped in an unusual way (not rule of thirds, etc.) when I composed this image.

Nikon 1 V1 f/6.3 1/30s VR 10-30 @ 22.7mm

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 05:59 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: The Dome"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Breaking a rule that the center of focus be dead center and even lopping off the top as well as creating an image handheld in the dark at very high ISO. Everything said use the tripod. But, with the D600 and good noise reduction software and the inviting structural patterns and light it seemed to have possibilities. Taken with Nikon D600, Nikkor 28-300mm at 68mm, f/4.8, 1/40s, ISO 25,600, Manual Exposure, Auto White Balance due to the minimal mixed light, and handheld in the cold. You can even see the condensation on the Horticultural Dome.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 06:03 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: The Domes"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jan-13 06:08 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Odd numbers rule. Well I broke that rule and decided to capture the light on two domes instead of the three. Taken with D600, 28-300mm at 50mm, ISO 6400, f/5, 1/40s, Auto White Balance, Manual Exposure.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 06:08 PM
#25. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: A Rose for You"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Do not crop too tight. Well, I just have to do that sometimes with flower photography. In addition, I kept the focal point dead center but with the surrounding elements on the left, I believe it frames the rose. This one was taken with Nikon D600, Tamron 90mm, ISO 400, Aperture Priority, 1/60s, f/36, Manual White Balance, Converted to Monochrome in Lightroom.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 06:22 PM
#26. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules: Luminous Sepia Rose"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

During long exposures, support your camera! That is no fun! This is handheld all the way. This is a case of shooting in shutter priority with the highest of ISOs and very small aperture to reduce some the duration of the shutter being open. Then I furthering the adventure during post processing by softening and reducing noise using Lightroom and a monochrome preset. Once again I tightly cropped to display the nuances of the light. It is sort of like getting a double exposure with a single exposure. Taken with the D600, 28-300mm at 300mm, ISO 25,600, f/36, 1.6sec, auto white balance, -0.7 EV.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

hoseA Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 10:05 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: January, 2013 Assignment – Break the Rules"
In response to Reply # 0

New Harbor, US

"Frost Forest"
The broken rule: before the sun rises leave home for a beautiful place to take pictures. Never even got the truck started as these frost patterns were on the inside of the windshield. Probably stretching the intent of the assignment but had some fun. Thanks for viewing, John

D200, Nikkor 28-105 @ 46mm, f8 for 1/160, ISO 400

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 01-Feb-13 06:54 AM
#29. "Rule of Thirds and Balancing Elements"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

My neighbor's yard light 3/4 mile away, with one of my apple trees between us. I purposely put the main object there, no cropping. Reminded me of a flag symbol, once I framed it.
D300, 400mm Ai-S, TC14E-II, 1/25s, f4, ISO 1600, ) EV

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9509 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.