Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9459
View in linear mode

Subject: "November, 2012 Assignment – Rust" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 11:01 AM
4078 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"November, 2012 Assignment – Rust"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

The November Assignment is “RUST”.

Rust is everywhere. It is insidious. We all try to take action to stop or prevent rust. If left alone, the action (oxidation) that causes rust will destroy the metal on which it grows. Yet, rust can be beautiful, and if captured carefully on film, can result in a really cool image.

So, your assignment this month is to artistically capture a compelling image of rust.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER, 2012. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to November of 2012 is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Just my luck
SheriB Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
Reply message Railroad Car
skibreeze7 Gold Member
05th Nov 2012
Reply message Rust & Rivets
skibreeze7 Gold Member
05th Nov 2012
Reply message Square Plates
skibreeze7 Gold Member
05th Nov 2012
Reply message Jammed
tekneektom Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Bike Frame #1
D2Xstatic Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Bike Frame #2
D2Xstatic Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Bike Frame #3
D2Xstatic Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Bike Frame #4
D2Xstatic Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
Reply message Observations from the great Northwet
D2Xstatic Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
Reply message Spider gate
dhalloxf Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
Reply message Old Door Pull
umdaman1 Gold Member
22nd Nov 2012
Reply message Antique Hub and Spokes
umdaman1 Gold Member
22nd Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Chevy
tekneektom Gold Member
24th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Rusty Chevy
lastdaylight Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
     Reply message RE: Rusty Chevy
tekneektom Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Latch
tekneektom Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
Reply message Rust in Red & Blue
skibreeze7 Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
Reply message Rusty Chain
tekneektom Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
Reply message Milwaukee Grande Canal
Viking In Winter
30th Nov 2012
Reply message Eleveth Hour Close-up
Viking In Winter
30th Nov 2012
Reply message Pinchpoint
mefnj Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: November, 2012 Assignment – Rust
hoseA Silver Member
01st Dec 2012

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 03-Nov-12 08:17 AM
1661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Just my luck"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sure...The guy who picks up my scrap ( old horse shoes, etc) was just here two weeks ago..

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 06:25 AM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Railroad Car"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Spent about an hour late this afternoon, down at the Port docks/Maritime industrial area in town, in which there was a "target-rich environment" for rusty subject matter.

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/10 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @16mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 06:35 AM
669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Rust & Rivets"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/11, 1/8 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @20mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 06:39 AM
#4. " Square Plates"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/11, 1/4 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 22mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 04:53 PM
1846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Jammed"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

In search of rust I wandered over to a nearby, abandoned saw mill and found a rusted transportation system with a log pick jamming the chain drive system. I couldn't resist as there was rust on a number of different levels and I loved the lighting.

D7000, Sigma 8-16mm at 11.5mm, f/13 at 1/1000, ISO 1600

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 04:44 PM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Rusty Bike Frame #1"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 16-Nov-12 04:45 PM by D2Xstatic

Eugene, US

While over at the lake shooting egrets, I walked past this bicycle frame sitting by the path. I suspect it was stolen, stripped and tossed into the water to disappear forever. Apparently someone found it and moved it. I love the shape of it and the colors of the rust. D300, 400mm AI-S f3.5, TC14E-II,auto ISO 1000, 1/200s, f11, -0.7 EV, cloudy

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 04:47 PM
724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Rusty Bike Frame #2"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

ISO 560, 1/200s, f8, -0.7EV, cloudy

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 04:49 PM
#8. "Rusty Bike Frame #3"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

1/200s, f11, ISO 1000, -0.7EV, cloudy

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Fri 16-Nov-12 04:52 PM
#9. "Rusty Bike Frame #4"
In response to Reply # 0

Eugene, US

1/200s, f11, ISO 1000, -0.7EV, cloudy. Who knew a 400mm manual focus lens with a converter would take nice macros? I didn't and these won't be my last, either.

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Sun 18-Nov-12 10:03 PM
#10. "Observations from the great Northwet"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 18-Nov-12 10:03 PM by D2Xstatic

Eugene, US

7 out of 8 images posted were taken in Oregon. Is that a message about our climate? lol

dhalloxf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Oct 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 12:24 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Spider gate"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

A few miles from my house is a small cemetery known as Spider Gate(s)Cemetery. The wrought iron gates to the cemetery have a sunburst design that is believed by many to be a spider design and thus the name. I noticed a great deal of rust on the gates and thought it fit this month's theme.

D600,24-85VR @ 24mm,f/4.5,1/4ooth,ISO 200.

Dave

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 04:27 PM
1945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Old Door Pull"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

D5000, Sigma 17-70@ 38mm, f/22, 1/250s, ISO 1600

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 04:38 PM
1945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Antique Hub and Spokes"
In response to Reply # 0

Lexington, US

D5000, sigma 17-70@ 62mm, f/10, 1/160s ISO 1600

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 11:28 PM
1846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Rusty Chevy"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D7000, Nikkor 50mm, ISO 200, 1/500, f/11

I found a '55 Chevy that was covered in rust and vines. I saw the Chevrolet logo on the left front fender and came up with this.

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Sun 25-Nov-12 04:32 AM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Rusty Chevy"
In response to Reply # 14

Dallas, US

That's sweet, Tom. Love it.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 25-Nov-12 02:05 PM
#16. "RE: Rusty Chevy"
In response to Reply # 15

Land O Lakes, US

Thanks Mark. And, it came out like I previsualized it, more or less!

Tom

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 25-Nov-12 04:37 PM
#17. "Rusty Latch"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D7000, Nikkor 18 - 200 at 200mm, ISO 1600, 1/1000 at f/18

While wandering through an abandoned saw mill I came across this Rusty Latch. I like the contrast between the rusty metal and the wood grain.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 04:08 AM
#18. "Rust in Red & Blue"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/400 sec, ISO 800, 16-35VR @ 35mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 26-Nov-12 11:15 PM
#19. "Rusty Chain"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D7000, Nikkor 50mm, ISO 1600, 1/80 at f/18

Viking In Winter Registered since 01st Dec 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 05:45 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Milwaukee Grande Canal"
In response to Reply # 0

Mequon, US

Nikon D200 16mm Tamron lens iso400 Three frame HDR

Viking In Winter Registered since 01st Dec 2011Fri 30-Nov-12 05:54 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "Eleveth Hour Close-up"
In response to Reply # 0

Mequon, US

D200 Tamron 90mm 4 Element HDR

mefnj Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2009Fri 30-Nov-12 09:31 PM
242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "Pinchpoint"
In response to Reply # 0

US

wanted to get something in this month... here's and old pair of grass trimmers

Nikon D90
VR 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G
tripod
remote release

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

hoseA Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2010Sat 01-Dec-12 03:06 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: November, 2012 Assignment – Rust"
In response to Reply # 0

New Harbor, US

"Back To The Earth"
D-200 35 1.8 @ 4.5 for 1/30 sec.

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #9459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.