Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #8945
View in linear mode

Subject: "February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Wed 01-Feb-12 08:48 PM
4086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
Wed 01-Feb-12 08:50 PM by rmigliaccio

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

As you know, Nikon is coming to market this month with the D4. Yes, I am lusting for this camera. This new camera got me thinking about photos in advertising. So.......

You've been hired by Nikon to come up with a unique, never-before-seen photo for use in an advertisement for any Nikon product on the market. The image must have the product in it - whether it be a camera, lens, flash or otherwise. This assignment is intended to be fun, while at the same time, having a serious component to it. You need to stoke your ingenuity. Be imaginative. Who knows, maybe the folks at Nikon will take notice.....

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) must have a Nikon product as its subject and be taken during the month of February, 2012.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment
Viking In Winter
10th Feb 2012
rmigliaccio Administrator
11th Feb 2012
Viking In Winter
10th Feb 2012
rayboy
10th Feb 2012
rmigliaccio Administrator
11th Feb 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
12th Feb 2012
Reply message Coffee Biscuit
vizz Silver Member
11th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: Coffee Biscuit
rayboy
12th Feb 2012
kennoll Gold Member
13th Feb 2012
Reply message Imagine: If Leonardo Would Have Had A Nikon
tekneektom Gold Member
15th Feb 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
15th Feb 2012
bibaphoto
17th Feb 2012
BrianS Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
kennoll Gold Member
21st Feb 2012
Reply message Right Angle
dhalloxf Silver Member
18th Feb 2012
bibaphoto
21st Feb 2012
Reply message Hide and Seek
vizz Silver Member
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message White Beauties
vizz Silver Member
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message RE: White Beauties
kennoll Gold Member
23rd Feb 2012
vizz Silver Member
23rd Feb 2012
kennoll Gold Member
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message Old School
James23p Moderator
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message Get Closer
vizz Silver Member
23rd Feb 2012
Reply message RE: Get Closer
kennoll Gold Member
23rd Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: Get Closer
vizz Silver Member
24th Feb 2012

Viking In Winter Registered since 01st Dec 2011Fri 10-Feb-12 05:06 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0

Mequon, US

D50 iso800 2sec. f11
Three element stack image using the median stack mode.
This was new product in 1965 so how about ad copy that says "If you remember the seventies its because you had a NIKON camera."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 11-Feb-12 11:20 PM
4086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 1

Barrington, US

The tag line you proposed with the photo is truly outstanding - love it!!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Viking In Winter Registered since 01st Dec 2011Fri 10-Feb-12 05:30 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0

Mequon, US

This is how I would crop the above image for a magazine spread. The lighting is meant to create a nostalgic mood.

rayboy Registered since 18th Dec 2008Fri 10-Feb-12 11:34 PM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 2

andover, US

Hey Rob,
Are we able to post comments here?
Thank You
Ray

Visit my website. www.raymondrullophotography.com

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 11-Feb-12 04:26 PM
#5. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 3

Barrington, US

Of course - I encourage it!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 12-Feb-12 05:59 PM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 2

Land O Lakes, US

Nice photo, great slogan!

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Sat 11-Feb-12 07:43 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Coffee Biscuit"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

Camera : NIKON 1 V1
ISO : 200
Shutterspeed : 1/160 sec.
Apreture : 1:2.8
Lens : 10 mm

It is so good to have V1 at hand in every situation

rayboy Registered since 18th Dec 2008Sun 12-Feb-12 11:28 PM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Coffee Biscuit"
In response to Reply # 4

andover, US

I have to say I am very impressed with both of these photos.
The first one with theframe and older photograph, I really like the feel, the strap on the camera brings back memories. Very nice.

and the second one with the white lens cap very cool, reminds me of the old Alka-Seltzer ads.

I read the original post on what to do for this month and I drew one giant blank!

I say, Well done!
Ray

Visit my website. www.raymondrullophotography.com

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Mon 13-Feb-12 08:50 PM
821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 14-Feb-12 12:21 AM by kennoll

Seattle, US

Where are the great shots today?...Walla Walla wine country? Mt Rainier? The Gorge? Columbia River? Seattle waterfront? Hmmm....

Trying to capture that Nikon is known globally for exceptional photographic gear. Wherever you go to capture images they will be images of the highest quality. (Since I didn't have a world map the Washington state map works well to get the point across.)

D200, 35-70mm F/2.8D, 48mm @ISO 100, 1/60s-f11

Ken
Seattle, WA

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 15-Feb-12 02:47 AM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Imagine: If Leonardo Would Have Had A Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I wonder what would have happened if Leonardo Di Vinci had a Nikon camera? Leonardo was The Master. How would it have changed our world?

Imagine: If Leonardo Would Have Had A Nikon
Nikon - Master Your Media

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 15-Feb-12 06:21 PM
4687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

My Generation of Nikons -- taken with a D90, Tamron 60mm f2 lens, ISO 200, f/25, 1s, -1.3 EV with Flash, Manual Exposure and White Balance.

Indeed, I am a Nikon user. I began with a Nikon FM2 in 1980 then evolved to the D90 (in 2009) taking this image, and last year upgraded to the D7000 and D700.

This Generation of Nikons is a collection for all generations.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

bibaphoto Registered since 28th Feb 2011Fri 17-Feb-12 01:48 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 17-Feb-12 02:01 AM by bibaphoto

Naples, US

IF YOU WANT PRECISION----- THERE'S ONLY ONE

Nikon D700
lens 50mm f1.8d

1/100
f3.2

or

http://bibaphoto.smugmug.com/

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Sat 18-Feb-12 07:13 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0

Longmeadow, US

D700 with a 105mm VR macro.
F/16 at 1/250

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Tue 21-Feb-12 04:40 AM
821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 13

Seattle, US

This is a cool image Brian.
Ken
Seattle, WA

dhalloxf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Oct 2006Sat 18-Feb-12 09:34 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Right Angle"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D200,Tokina 100mm,2 shots @f/5.6, 1/60th,ISO 200, SB800@1/16th,1 background shot f/8, 1/2sec no flash.

Dave

bibaphoto Registered since 28th Feb 2011Tue 21-Feb-12 03:42 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: February, 2012 Assignment - Nikon Assignment"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 21-Feb-12 01:30 PM by bibaphoto

Naples, US

You always hear about everywhere you find the Nikon, everywhere you can use it, travel the world, at home, in the backyard, family friends travel... . I wanted to do the opposite, I wanted to show where you won't find it!..... in the garbage.

The photo was shot with my nikon D700 using my 35-70mm f2.8 lens

Shot at 35mm and f2.8 (to get the shallow DOF) and using flash plus off camera spot light

I would have liked more Nikon equipment in the background, but this was all I have. Of course I have the camera and lens, but needed that to take the photo.

I wanted the photo to be simple but somewhat different.

I do not want to offend any other cameras and want to point out that no cameras were hurt in the making of this photo.

or

http://bibaphoto.smugmug.com/

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 05:32 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Hide and Seek"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

or rather Hide and Find with V1...

D700, FL 500mm, F/6.3, 1/750 s, ISO 200

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 05:50 PM
#18. "White Beauties"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Feb-12 08:59 PM by vizz

Karlovac, HR

Nikon 1 V1 being one of them...

D700, FL 500mm, F/6.3 1/1000s, ISO 200

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 08:56 PM
#19. "RE: White Beauties"
In response to Reply # 18

Seattle, US

Hi Visna,

Nice shots. The only nit-picking things I have is that the young man has his finger covering most of "Nikon" in the "Hide and Seek" picture. In this picture, "White Beauties", perhaps if you position the camera strap so the viewer can see "Nikon"?

Ken
Seattle, WA

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 09:28 PM
#21. "RE: White Beauties"
In response to Reply # 19

Karlovac, HR

Thank you Ken! I agree that the photos could have been more arranged, but the model was only halfway cooperative )

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 10:07 PM
#22. "RE: White Beauties"
In response to Reply # 21

Seattle, US

As long as he was having fun. Photographer in training?

Ken
Seattle, WA

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 23-Feb-12 09:06 PM
9752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Old School"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

My Nikon FE2!

D700
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 DG HSM EX at 70mm hand held
ISO 200
f2.8
1/320
PP/BW conversion in NX2

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 10:38 PM
#23. "Get Closer"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Feb-12 10:39 PM by vizz

Karlovac, HR

Getting closer is fun
with Nikon 1 V1

D700, FL 350mm, F/6, 1/1000s, ISO 200

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 23-Feb-12 11:12 PM
#24. "RE: Get Closer"
In response to Reply # 23

Seattle, US

Excellent!

Ken
Seattle, WA

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Fri 24-Feb-12 08:23 AM
#25. "RE: Get Closer"
In response to Reply # 24

Karlovac, HR

Thank you!

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #8945 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.