Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #5923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012)" Previous topic | Next topic
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Wed 20-May-09 06:55 PM
4083 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012)"
Wed 03-Oct-12 11:57 AM by rmigliaccio

Barrington, US

Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum. The intent of this Forum is to challenge you to become a better photographer by giving you an assignment to fulfill.

On the first day of each month, a new assignment will be posted for you to complete. At the conclusion of an assignment period (usually the end of the same month), a winner will be chosen, and the process for choosing a winner is explained in detail here.

Rules - The specific rules for each assignment will be outlined in the assignment. Of course, there is always the REQUIRED READING - Photo Assignment Instructions which sets forth the general rules for this Forum, and the Terms of Use which govern the Nikonians website. All postings in this Forum must abide by these rules.

Past Assignments - For those of you who would like to see the assignments from past months, they are listed and linked in this Past Assignments Referral Page thread. Please feel free to perform the assignments and post your results in the Constructive Critique & Technical Advice Forum should you desire thoughtful observations and critique.

Resources - Given that this Forum is designed to encourage the improvement of photographic skills, please consider reviewing the thread entitled Resources to Improve Your Photography.

Critiquing Thoughts - Please see this thread for my Personal Thoughts on Critiquing Photographs – a hopefully relevant diatribe pertaining to my own ability to critique your photos.

I look forward to your participation here in Online Assignments!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 2...
okcarol Silver Member
02nd Jul 2009
Cerulean Silver Member
13th Nov 2009
rmigliaccio Administrator
14th Nov 2009
Cerulean Silver Member
14th Nov 2009
kennoll Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
08th Apr 2012
kennoll Gold Member
08th Apr 2012
09th Apr 2012
KolinP Silver Member
29th Sep 2012
29th Sep 2012
KolinP Silver Member
29th Sep 2012
01st Oct 2012
KolinP Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012...
okcarol Silver Member
21st Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012...
23rd Oct 2013

okcarol Silver Member Charter MemberThu 02-Jul-09 02:36 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 0

Rockaway, US

Hi Rob,
I was excited to see your Online Assignment Forum. There are some great photographs. I was however somewhat disappointed to see so much and in some cases heavy PhotoShopping. Don't get me wrong, I love PhotoShop but it would be nice to see what people can get out of a camera with a minimum of editing. I will still try your assignments as I would like to see just what my D300 and I can do.
Carol

Cerulean Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2009Fri 13-Nov-09 10:08 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 13-Nov-09 10:41 PM by Cerulean

La Paz, BO

Friends:

I want to post to the assignment, but before doing so I would like to find some parameters for the photo: size (ex: 5 inches long side?), resolution (72 dpi?), format (jpeg?) ... so it looks decent on the post and doesn't eat space or take zillions to load.

Perhaps your answer to this question will be usefully replicated in the rules.

Thanks,

Migs

“ Your first 10000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 14-Nov-09 10:47 AM
4083 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 03-Mar-11 06:30 AM by jrp

Barrington, US

Miguel,

The rules for posting images are embodied in the terms of use, specifically Sections 3.5 and 3.6 - basically - now updated to no larger than 1200 pixels on the longest side and no "heavier" than 300Kb.

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Cerulean Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2009Sat 14-Nov-09 11:21 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 5

La Paz, BO

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the information!

Migs

“ Your first 10000 photographs are your worst." – Henri Cartier-Bresson

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 03:20 AM
811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

How are the nominees notified that their photo has been selected for the poll? I'm lucky enough to have a photo in the 5 selected for the March assignment. Didn't receive any notice of that. Found out by going to the assignment forum. Same question is for the "voters", how do they know the poll is open?

Ken
Seattle, WA

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sun 08-Apr-12 10:57 AM
#8. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 08-Apr-12 10:58 AM by rmigliaccio

Barrington, US

I do not notify nominees as they should know to check the poll each month to see if they were selected. I will notify a winner by email as stated in this post which is referenced in the second paragraph of the first post in this thread.

As for being notified that the poll is "open", we've been doing this now for over 6 years - members know to check the forum around the 5th of each month to see the poll. I also announce that the poll is open in the "Cafe".

Hope this helps.

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 08-Apr-12 05:38 PM
811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, US

Thanks Rob. Appreciate the quick response and the information. I'm still learning a lot about the Nikonians.org site and practices. It's a really great resource, a lot of great people.

Only question now is: "cafe"?

Ken
Seattle, WA

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Mon 09-Apr-12 11:24 AM
#10. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 9

Barrington, US

>Only question now is: "cafe"?

See The Cafe in the forums.

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Sat 29-Sep-12 04:17 AM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 29-Sep-12 04:23 AM by KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, GB

On the permitted pixel dimensions and the accepted filesizes for each of the respective Nikonians competitions ...

Please please could we have both of the above-mentioned limits repeated, recapped, re-stated and reiterated each month, ideally in your regular revisions of the Monthly Challenge details Rob?

Yes, even at the cost of some repetition!?

Or ideally, have them displayed clearly and simply (and logically?) in one place, in one of the paragraphs of the REQUIRED READING - Photo Assignment Instructions (aka "Rules and Objectives") - where at present these permitted-dimensions are glaringly absent.

There is obviously no point in participating unless my/our images accord with all the competition parameters, but because I don't trust either my memory, nor the notes I made the last time I searched for a confirmation of the "competition limits", I am again nearly giving up and abandoning my submission.

I think I've determined what my image dimensions must be for this Monthly competition, after (once again) reviewing these two resources ...

1. JRP's update in November 2010 (as revised by later replies)
entitled: New images posting size and weight allowances

(where (I think) I'm reminded about the 300 kilobyte limit and the minimum 1200-pixel-longest-side for (all?) competition entries)

and

2. Nikonians Wiki
What_are_the_limits_on_gallery_use

(wherein I note the maximum 1800-pixel-longest-side limit for gallery-posted images ... which I presume is equally relevant for competition entries because (surely?) I'll want to link my Members gallery-hosted image into the relevant thread for that month's competition.)

So, my deduction so far is that my competition entry must meet these constraints ...

• be 1200 pixels or more on its longest side
  • but be 1800 pixels or less on its longest side
  • and it must be no larger than 300KB in file-size

Have I got them right?

(It's a juggle to squeeze a well-rendered 1200+ pixel-sized image into that 300KB limit! But if that's what's necessary then I'll comply of course.)

I know ... if I entered more competitions then I'd be less likely to forget these details ... but please bring them back to the 'surface' somewhere, and sooth my arguably OCD-like NEED to re-verify these basic competitions parameters each time I think I've got a contending photograph to submit!

Thanks, and with respect.
Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
My Nikonians gallery
My other photo sites

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 29-Sep-12 11:36 AM
#12. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 11

Barrington, US

Colin,

I do not feel the need to recite in the assignment rules, or in each assignment, the Nikonians dimensional requirements for images since the underlying rules for the Nikonians site state specifically in Section 3.5 that image size is limited to no more than 1,200 pixels on the longest side, and in Section 3.6 there is a maximum 300 KB limit to each image posted. All members agreed to abide by those rules when they became members.

Personally, I think images no larger than 800 pixels on the longest side are best displayed as they do not require scrolling on smaller screens. That used to be the limit, but was increased as you stated.

All members are obligated to follow the general rules of the Nikonians site and hence they need not be repeated here.

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Sat 29-Sep-12 09:29 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 12

Weston-super-Mare, GB

Thanks Rob,

but I fear that my original post was over-long (sorry), and so I guess you didn't spot the main source of my confusion, which was the reply in June 2012 by Gerold (Asgard) to a similar plea for "competition rules" clarification by KenL (KenLPhotos) in JRP's good-news posting titled "New images posting size and weight allowances", here -

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=134&topic_id=9089&mesg_id=9089#10026

where I note that in his question, KenL was specifically asking about "Winners galleries" rather than about this Online Assignment. However, in his reply to KenL, Asgard responded as follows:

(Quote Asgard) In our Nikonians Photo Contests we have the rule that we will only accept images with a minimum of 1,200 pixels at their longest side for judging.(/Quote Asgard) (My emphasis there on Asgard's word 'minimum'.)

For emphasis among the clutter of this verbose post: NOTE THE REFERENCE TO "a minimum of 1,200 pixels".

So, in his reply to KenL, I had to ask myself was Asgard referring to competitions other than this Online Assignment? Or has that "minimum 1200 pixels" competition parameter changed since June 2012? Or was Asgard mistaken when he said 'minimum'? And (although I know you'll have got my point by now) was KenL likewise mistaken when he thanked and acknowledged Asgard for his affirmative reply?

After reading Asgard's response, was I wrong to wonder whether specific Nikonians competitions were perhaps allowed to set wider image-size limits than those Nikonian-global ones?

I know there are other Nikonians competitions besides this Online Assignment, but no, besides the (non-Nikonans) Nikon In Frame competition which I have entered) I have not entered into any of them, nor have I reviewed their specific Ts & Cs. Instead, yesterday, I simply wanted to be able to review the actual, current and unambiguous parameters for this Assignment/competition.

My original post above was already becoming too long, so I skipped any mention of my other area of uncertainty - which I'm sure I'll resolve soon with some additional reading - namely, what is the most appropriate way to post an image into this Online Assignment?

So I'll raise that question now.
QUESTION: Should we (always) insert our Assignment images into a post in this Online Assignment Forum? Or can we (as I'd prefer to do) add a cross-link in our Assignment entry to an image that we've added earlier into our Members Gallery?

To explain a bit more (sorry!!) about what provokes this doubt, I see that in all three of the following areas, there's a reference to using the galleries area for competition entries (and hence I deduced that gallery image-size limits would be the ones I should heed) ...

Yet in your referral each month Rob to that paragraph 3.5 from the 'global' Nikonians Terms and Conditions, we are asked to conform to the Forum (image) posting limits, which are (as we know) not the same as those for the galleries!

Here (for clarity) is your reference to that Section:
(rmigliaccio said ...)
> " ... rules for the Nikonians site state specifically in Section 3.5 that image size is limited to no more than 1,200 pixels on the longest side ...".

For emphasis among the clutter of this verbose post: NOTE THE REFERENCE TO "no more than 1,200 pixels".

As I hope I'd illustrated in my opening question above, I had indeed reviewed those 'site-wide' Terms and Conditions prior to posting this suggestion to you, and I did try hard (to the point of frustration and near abandonment) to determine what were the "specific" permitted/approved dimensions for this Online Assignment, but in the end I was no more certain about the permitted parameters than I was when I started.

So, I'm still unsure how to proceed with my September Assignment entry!

Are there other related guides and instructions that I should study?

It's true that I could probably have had my questions answered simply by posting a one-liner query here or in the cafe! And yes, I do understand why there are occasional loose ends among the volumes and volumes of material in this now-mature and fantastic Nikonians Forum and its many resources, and I honestly don't expect perfection! But, if I'm in doubt about how exactly to proceed here, then who else might also be in doubt? How many other Nikonians are dissuaded from entering because the "parameters" of entry are unclear, or are peppered across multiple pages of Terms & Conditions?

(rmigliaccio said ...)
>I do not feel the need to recite in the assignment rules, or
>in each assignment, the Nikonians dimensional requirements for
>images ...

I'll respectfully re-state my plea to you Rob, that if your otherwise crystal clear and well-filled notes on this supremely well-run Online Assignment had simply included these small additional details, then I would have been able to post my Assignment entry yesterday evening (UK time), and would have moved on to other things.

(For the record, I don't begrudge a moment of the time I've spent on this diatribe to you. I'm telling myself that I'm nudging you - with great respect - on behalf of at least a couple of other Nikonians, who may or may not be rule-comformant hesitants just like me , who must surely also have fallen at these same hurdles?)

Here are the two related extracts from that page on our Nikonians Wiki -

(Quote Nikonians Wiki)
"What are the limits on gallery use?
(snip ...)
Size of images | Dimensions
Images should not be more than 1800 pixels on the longest side.
(/Quote Nikonians Wiki)

For emphasis among the clutter of this verbose post: NOTE THE REFERENCE TO "not be more than 1800 pixels".

and

(Quote Nikonians Wiki)
The galleries home page
(snip ...)
The menu options
(snip ...)
Contest - takes you to a page of information concerning the Nikonians photo competitions.
(/Quote Nikonians Wiki)

For emphasis among the clutter of this verbose post: NOTE THE PRESUMPTION in that latter Wiki reference of using "gallery uploads" for competition entries.

(I'll admit I may have brought a smidgen of pedantry into my query here about the seemingly conflicting details that surfaced in my research Rob, before I posted this suggestion to you, but I hope I don't appear to have been even slightly facetious. That is not my intent.)

Finally, to summarise what I think are my outstanding questions:

1. For our Assignment entries, can we not link a gallery-sized and gallery-hosted image into our Online Assignment post in this Forum?
  2. Does every Nikonians competition adhere to the exact same image-dimension limits?
  3. When exactly are we limited to posting images of no more than 1200 pixels on the longest side? What did Asgard mean when he referred to a minimum of 1200 pixels for competition entries? Is the Nikonian Wiki wrong where it mentions 1800 pixels maximum?

And to conclude ...

(rmigliaccio said ...)
>All members are obligated to follow the general rules of the
>Nikonians site and hence they need not be repeated here.

Hmmmm! Perhaps you and I are just differently pedantic ... ?

Respectfully yours,
Colin P.

--
My Nikonians gallery
My other photo sites

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Mon 01-Oct-12 01:36 PM
#14. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 13

Barrington, US

Colin,

Let's keep this simple:

• When uploading images directly into the forums (i.e. images into the forums for Monthly Challenges (i.e. Wildlife, Landscape, Micro, Macro and Close-Up, Sports and Online Assignments), you must comply with forum posting rules - images cannot be larger than 1200 pixels at their longest size and must be smaller than 300Kb in weight. The uploading utility will reject the upload (attachment) if larger either on length dimensions or weight.

• When uploading images directly into the galleries (i.e. for contests or otherwise), images should not be larger than 1800 pixels at their longest size. The system will resize them if longer. The system will refuse to upload them if they are bigger than 1.8MB in weight.

• You can upload images from the galleries into the forums - no problems here as the sytem will take care of it all. Use the "For forum post link" shown at the image page in the galleries, insert it into the text of your post and the thumbnail of the image at the gallery will be uploaded into your post, with an embedded link to the larger image in the galleries.

Hope this resolves your issues.

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Tue 02-Oct-12 01:39 AM
#15. "RE: Welcome to the Online Assignment Forum (as of May 22, 2009)"
In response to Reply # 14

Weston-super-Mare, GB

Thank you Rob,

It's always easy when we know how ... and now I know for sure.

Colin P.

--
My Nikonians gallery
My other photo sites

okcarol Silver Member Charter MemberMon 21-Oct-13 02:26 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012)"
In response to Reply # 0

Rockaway, US

Hi Rob,
This may be an unusual request but I am leaving for Burma/Myanmar on Oct 31. While I will be in Bangkok on Nov 1 and will probably be able to get WiFi connection I have heard that the Internet is close to impossible in Burma.
If you have decided on a topic by then would it be possible to get the November assignment on Oct 30-31
There will be lots of shooting opportunities while I am away but it is nice to have a focus.
Thanks,
Carol

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Wed 23-Oct-13 09:00 PM
#17. "RE: Welcome to Online Assignments (updated Oct. 3, 2012)"
In response to Reply # 16

Barrington, US

Carol,

I responded to you by email.

Thanks!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #5923 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.