Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10132
View in linear mode

Subject: "August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Fri 01-Aug-14 12:39 PM
4086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

The August Assignment is “Lens Flare”.

Lens flare is often considered a photo flaw. However, if done properly or used creatively, it can enhance an image. Flare is created by light shot directly into your lens from its source - often the sun. Without care, flare can wash out your image. Research lens flare, find out how to use it creatively, and then share your images with us.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF AUGUST, 2014. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to August, 2014, is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare
Dubes Silver Member
10th Aug 2014
Reply message RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare
birdied Silver Member
14th Aug 2014
Reply message Steeple and Flare
domer2760 Silver Member
16th Aug 2014
Reply message Feather Boy
tekneektom Gold Member
17th Aug 2014
Reply message RE: Feather Boy
domer2760 Silver Member
18th Aug 2014
     Reply message RE: Feather Boy
tekneektom Gold Member
18th Aug 2014
Reply message GoldenGardenThistles
jimray Silver Member
19th Aug 2014
Reply message RE: GoldenGardenThistles
tfeazel Silver Member
01st Sep 2014
Reply message Sunrise at Golden Garden Park
jimray Silver Member
19th Aug 2014
Reply message Sunset Flare
skibreeze7 Gold Member
21st Aug 2014
Reply message Calm Night in Millpond
skibreeze7 Gold Member
21st Aug 2014
Reply message Under the Lights
shipsupt Platinum Member
24th Aug 2014
Reply message Evening at the Fair
ron917 Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
Reply message Supermoon at the party
etnw Silver Member
29th Aug 2014
dradford Gold Member
01st Sep 2014
etnw Silver Member
01st Sep 2014
dradford Gold Member
02nd Sep 2014
Reply message Flare at the Cathedral
etnw Silver Member
01st Sep 2014
tfeazel Silver Member
01st Sep 2014
tfeazel Silver Member
01st Sep 2014

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 10-Aug-14 07:19 PM
6004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Aug-14 07:20 PM by Dubes

Mississauga, CA

After having read about the assignment, while I was cleaning the pool, noticed a lot of specular highlights around a leaf that was floating on the surface. Tried some images with my Micro-Nikkor 105mm, but I think the coating quality on this lens prevented a lot of flare. Mounted the 50mm f/1.8D and got the results I was expecting.

Flare is very subtle, although occurs multiple times. Not sure about the composition.

D800 + Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens
f/11, 1/800sec, ISO320. Post in Capture NX + Photoshop CC - Google/Nik ColorEfex Tonal Contrast applied.

By the way "Rules & Objectives" at top of page appears to be a broken link.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Thu 14-Aug-14 04:21 AM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 1

Destrehan, US

Very nice shot. Love the colors and the composition works nicely. Well seen and executed.

Birdie

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 16-Aug-14 03:13 AM
796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Steeple and Flare"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Stopped after work today to take this one. This is the steeple at Adoration Chapel on the grounds of Domino's Farms in Ann Arbor Michigan.

This is a color infrared photo with channel swap to produce the blue sky. Lens flare is a common occurrence with IR photography and I usually take great pains to keep it from happening. It was nice to embrace the flare.

D90 (standard 720nm conversion), 105mm f/2.8 VR, no lens shade, f/4, 1/4000 sec, ISO 200, handheld. Used Matrix metering for this one to capture the shadow detail and sky.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 17-Aug-14 10:50 PM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Feather Boy"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, ISO 100, f/22, 1/160 sec.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Mon 18-Aug-14 03:25 AM
796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Feather Boy"
In response to Reply # 4

Ann Arbor, US

Nice one Tom. Taken by a proud Grandpa?

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 18-Aug-14 03:30 AM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Feather Boy"
In response to Reply # 5

Land O Lakes, US

Absolutely! When the grandkids visit I have great models.

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Tue 19-Aug-14 09:46 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "GoldenGardenThistles"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

I decided to bring out my very old (1986?) Nikkor 70-210 which we bought with our first SLR, an N2020 with the notion it might be easier to produce lens flare with it. I have been a bit surprised at how well this lens performs.
D90, Nikkor 70-210 @170, f40, 1/1000, ISO 500

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Mon 01-Sep-14 07:54 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: GoldenGardenThistles"
In response to Reply # 7

Polk City, US

Good shot, well composed.

We have all, myself included, been brainwashed. Through the ministrations of the willing press, advertisers, and our inherent attitudes, developed the "latest IS greatest" mentality.

Some of the old stuff is really, really good.

I have a 40+ year old 50mm f1.4 that is still an absolute top performer. I also have a lot of other old lenses that I still use.

Nikon lenses have been very good for a very long time, and newer isn't necessarily better.

The disposable nature of the cascade of camera bodies trained us to be looking constantly for the new and "better" in photography. Camera bodies are reaching (have reached) the tipping point also.

Don't apologize for old, good glass.

Tom

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Tue 19-Aug-14 09:49 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Sunrise at Golden Garden Park"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

D90, Nikkor 70-210@70, f20, 1/640, ISO 200

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Thu 21-Aug-14 03:55 AM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "Sunset Flare"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 1/15 sec, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 28mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Thu 21-Aug-14 04:03 AM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Calm Night in Millpond"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 21-Aug-14 04:06 AM by skibreeze7

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/16, 2 minutes, 15 seconds, ISO 100, 16-35VR @ 35mm

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

shipsupt Platinum Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2006Sun 24-Aug-14 05:04 PM
641 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "Under the Lights"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I've struggled all month to successfully capture a shot with lens flare that I liked. Friday night I was shooting for a local rugby club under the lights and I was sure I'd have a chance at capturing something.

D4, 300mm f/2.8, ISO 12800, 1/500 sec at f/2.8, Handheld

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Tue 26-Aug-14 03:01 AM
344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "Evening at the Fair"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Aug-14 03:04 AM by ron917

Andover, NJ, US

Image taken at the 2014 NJ State Fair & Sussex County Farm and Horse Show just after sunset on August 4. The old "nifty fifty" makes some nice stars.

D600, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/25 sec, handheld
Post processing in Adobe Lightroom 5.6

Best regards,
-Ron

etnw Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2014Fri 29-Aug-14 06:59 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Supermoon at the party"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

That day (Aug 10, 2014) the Supermoon was among the wedding guests.

Df + 85mm 1.8D, 1/30s f/2.8, post in Capture 1 and Analog Efex.

Cheers,
Etienne

dradford Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2013Mon 01-Sep-14 04:13 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Sep-14 04:16 PM by dradford

Belleville, CA

I know it is technically Sept 1st but I took this picture last night and then watched a movie with my wife so did not get around to processing it until today. I hope I am not too late.

I found this little guy while on a walk with my wife. I managed to get within about 18 inches of him for this shot. He obviously enjoyed the camera as he was very cooperative and held absolutely still for me. He didn't even blink when the flash went off.

D90, NIkkor 35mm f/2, f/8 for 2 seconds

Daryl Radford

etnw Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2014Mon 01-Sep-14 07:09 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 14

DE

Daryl, this is an incredible shot! Did you use any kind of filter or does the 35mm f/2 produce such a star shape on its own?

Thanks,
Etienne

dradford Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2013Tue 02-Sep-14 01:22 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 16

Belleville, CA

Thanks for the comment Etienne. The 35mm f/2 did the star burst and hexagon flare on all it's own. I don't know enough about filters to even consider using one yet. I was very pleased with how well it turned out.

Daryl Radford

etnw Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2014Mon 01-Sep-14 07:06 PM
#15. "Flare at the Cathedral"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

Hello Everyone,

dunno whether multiple submissions are at all permitted (if not, please ignore this post!)
Destiny has put me in a very "flary" situation on the last day of the month. We visited
Strasbourg for a few days and enjoyed a light show at the cathedral.
I had my 85mm 1.8D with me, this is when I truly realized the incredible "flair" (pun intended)
of this lens.

All shots have been done at ISO 6400 - 8000 handheld. That Df is really amazing.
Anyway, enjoy

Etienne

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Mon 01-Sep-14 09:35 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Sep-14 10:09 PM by tfeazel

Polk City, US

Kennedy Space Center
Shuttle Atlantis
Nikon D700- Nikkor 18-35, 24mm, 1/40, f4, ISO 9000, -0.7 step

Had problems uploading. Next image is the only one I had time to upload.

Tom

tfeazel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2004Mon 01-Sep-14 09:41 PM
#19. "RE: August, 2014 Assignment - Lens Flare"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 01-Sep-14 10:12 PM by tfeazel

Polk City, US

Kennedy Space Center
Shuttle Atlantis
Nikon D700- Nikkor 18-35, 24mm, 1/40, f4, ISO 9000, -0.7 step

Lightroom was used to resize the image. I adjusted some of the image, but the original is better. This is the NEF as taken.

Tom

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10132 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.