Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10093
View in linear mode

Subject: "July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Tue 01-Jul-14 11:44 AM
4086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

As you know, due to the low number of submissions, I expressed some concern over the viability of the “Cover Shot” theme in this post. While the vote was clear, the lack of entries each month was discouraging at best. Therefore, while my intent was to keep it going for the whole year, I am ending it and returning to the original format. What is the old saying – “nothing ventured, nothing gained”.

Therefore - the July Assignment is “Colorful Bokeh”.

A number of years ago, I ran an assignment simply called Bokeh. The response was awesome. This month’s assignment is along the same lines – except that the pleasing out-of-focus background must be colorful.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF JULY, 2014. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to July, 2014, is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Wild Flower
tekneektom Gold Member
06th Jul 2014
Reply message RE: Wild Flower
Just Clickin Gold Member
07th Jul 2014
Reply message Daisy With Green Bokeh
tekneektom Gold Member
10th Jul 2014
Reply message RE:: Mexican Sunflower
birdied Silver Member
11th Jul 2014
Reply message RE: July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh
etnw Silver Member
13th Jul 2014
Reply message Hosta Leaf and Bud
domer2760 Silver Member
19th Jul 2014
Reply message Hot Pink...
gmth Gold Member
20th Jul 2014
Reply message Coneflower
jimray Silver Member
20th Jul 2014
Reply message thistles
jimray Silver Member
20th Jul 2014
Reply message Feeder and Squirrel
domer2760 Silver Member
20th Jul 2014
Reply message RE: Ruby with the Zinnias
birdied Silver Member
21st Jul 2014
Reply message forest web
jimray Silver Member
23rd Jul 2014
Reply message RE: Gulf Fritillary and The Zinnia
birdied Silver Member
24th Jul 2014
Reply message Hosta Bud
domer2760 Silver Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Dahlia Bokeh #1
skibreeze7 Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Dahlia Bokeh #2
skibreeze7 Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Dahlia Bokeh #3
skibreeze7 Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Dahlia Bokeh #4
skibreeze7 Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message RE: Dahlia Bokeh #4
rmigliaccio Administrator
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Red Rose...
gmth Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Grasshopper...
gmth Gold Member
26th Jul 2014
Reply message Strawberry Daisy On A Sunny Day
tekneektom Gold Member
27th Jul 2014
Reply message RocknRoll
gheck58 Silver Member
28th Jul 2014
Reply message 80's Flash Back
gheck58 Silver Member
28th Jul 2014
Reply message Fading white flowers
jimray Silver Member
28th Jul 2014
Reply message Thermo-regulating Dragonfly
jrtx Silver Member
29th Jul 2014
Reply message Wild Grass
tekneektom Gold Member
30th Jul 2014
Reply message RE: July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh
vitalishe Silver Member
30th Jul 2014
Reply message The Frog
tekneektom Gold Member
30th Jul 2014
Reply message Mexican Petunia w/crepe myrtle backdrop
jcaraway Silver Member
30th Jul 2014
Reply message Bee at landscape Nursery
jcaraway Silver Member
30th Jul 2014
Reply message Flowers in the garden
jcaraway Silver Member
31st Jul 2014
Reply message Vining - nature's way
jcaraway Silver Member
31st Jul 2014
Reply message Whitetail Buck In Vibrant Green BG........................
Lunastar Silver Member
01st Aug 2014
Reply message Loon Family...............................................
Lunastar Silver Member
01st Aug 2014

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 06-Jul-14 07:16 PM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Wild Flower"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Well, someone has to go first. the wildflowers are in full bloom in Northern Wisconsin. I noticed this daisy in the midst of a sea of yellow flowers. The colorful bokeh is the bed of yellow wildflowers.

D800, Nikon 300mm F4, ISO 800, f/4, 1/800 sec.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Just Clickin Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2009Mon 07-Jul-14 04:49 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wild Flower"
In response to Reply # 1

Pensacola, US

Captured late evening at a nearby wildlife refuge. Notice the ticks on the eyelids!

D800 300mm, 1.4 conv., ISO 1600, f4.0, 50% crop.

Tom Wilby

http://tomwilby.zenfolio.com/

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 10-Jul-14 03:00 AM
1904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Daisy With Green Bokeh"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 300mm 4D, ISO 1250, f/10, 1/400 sec.

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Fri 11-Jul-14 05:49 AM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE:: Mexican Sunflower"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

D800 300mm f/4 with 1.4 TC
f/9 ISO 2500 1/1600
SB900

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

etnw Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2014Sun 13-Jul-14 03:37 AM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

Here's mine.

I do hope I comply to the Rules and Objectives, as the link appears to be broken.

Df, 180mm 2.8D, ISO 100, 1/3200 f/2.8.
(As a matter of fact, I found a mint second-hand 180 2.8 AF-D today
and this is my first shot with it right out of the shop!)

Hope it is colorful enough. I swear I did not increase saturation in post

Happy shooting,

Etienne

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 19-Jul-14 07:06 PM
796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "Hosta Leaf and Bud"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Jul-14 12:27 AM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

Hosta leaf and bud.

D700, Nikkor 135mm f/2 AFD, f/2.5, 1/500 sec, -0.67 EV, ISO 800

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Sun 20-Jul-14 01:09 PM
682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Hot Pink..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Jul-14 01:09 PM by gmth

Lewisville, US

A beautiful pink flower with a myriad of colors in the background...

D4 | f2.8 | 1/800 | 110 | 200mm

Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Sun 20-Jul-14 02:35 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Coneflower"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

This assignment attracted me because it provides a great learning experience and an opportunity to see what kind of bokeh can be achieved with different lenses. I find coneflowers, even when fading, to be interesting subjects.
D90. Tamron 70-300 @190, f5.3, 1/50. ISO 200. Induro AT 413 tripod.

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Sun 20-Jul-14 02:39 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "thistles"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

D90, 300 f4 + TC14E II, f5.6, 1/640. ISO 200.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 20-Jul-14 05:28 PM
796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Feeder and Squirrel"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

My neighbor's bird feeder. Wonder how much food the birds actually get with these guys in the neighborhood.

D700, Nikkor 135mm f/2 AFD, f/2.5, 1/250 sec, -0.67 EV, ISO 800.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Mon 21-Jul-14 10:24 PM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ruby with the Zinnias"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

D800 500mm 1/1000 f/8 ISO 2500

Birdie

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Wed 23-Jul-14 06:14 PM
#12. "forest web"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

D90, Tamron 70-300 @ 250, f5.6, 1/20. hand held, VC (VR) was definitely turned on!

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Thu 24-Jul-14 04:43 PM
#13. "RE: Gulf Fritillary and The Zinnia"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

Birdie

D800 500mm f/8 1/2000 ISO 2500

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 26-Jul-14 05:14 AM
#14. "Hosta Bud"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Another hosta bud from the back yard.

D700, Nikkor 135mm f/2 AFD, f/2.5, 1/800, -0.67EV, ISO 800, hand held.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 26-Jul-14 08:10 AM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Dahlia Bokeh #1"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/4.8, 1/4000 sec, ISO 200, Sigma 105mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 26-Jul-14 08:16 AM
697 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "Dahlia Bokeh #2"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/5.6, 1/1000 sec, ISO 200, Sigma 105mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 26-Jul-14 08:19 AM
#17. "Dahlia Bokeh #3"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/5.6, 1/2000 sec, ISO 200, Sigma 105mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

skibreeze7 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the continuous sharing of his inspirational photographic abilities and for helping and encouraging members as they advance from beginner into advanced photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 18th Nov 2006Sat 26-Jul-14 08:21 AM
#18. " Dahlia Bokeh #4"
In response to Reply # 0

Astoria, US

Nikon D800, F/4.5, 1/4000 sec, ISO 200, Sigma 105mm macro

Darryl
Northern Oregon Coast

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 26-Jul-14 03:32 PM
4086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Dahlia Bokeh #4"
In response to Reply # 18

Barrington, US

Wow - all four are stunning!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Sat 26-Jul-14 03:45 PM
682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Red Rose..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

D4 | f3.2 | 1/160 | 6400 | 105mm

my Nikonians gallery.

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Sat 26-Jul-14 07:57 PM
#21. "Grasshopper..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lewisville, US

A willing subject after I rescued him from the pool net.

D4 | f3.5 | 1/800 | 640 | 105mm

my Nikonians gallery.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 27-Jul-14 03:07 AM
#22. "Strawberry Daisy On A Sunny Day"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 300mm 4D, ISO 160, f/4, 1/1000 sec.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 28-Jul-14 05:23 AM
2761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RocknRoll"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

Local Town Center 80's concert. D3, 85 1.4g at 1.4. ISO 800. Post in LR 5.

Hecky

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 28-Jul-14 05:38 AM
2761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "80's Flash Back"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

D3, 85 1.4g, @f/1.4, ISO 800, Post in LR5

Hecky

jimray Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2009Mon 28-Jul-14 02:17 PM
#25. "Fading white flowers"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

D90, Nikkor 35mm 1.8, 1/4000, f1.8. ISO 200

jrtx Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2009Tue 29-Jul-14 01:51 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "Thermo-regulating Dragonfly "
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Thermo-regulating dragonfly in a patch of Indian Blanket flowers. D7000 w/Sigma 150mm macro lens @ 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 400

Jeannean

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” - Albert Einstein

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 30-Jul-14 02:16 AM
#27. "Wild Grass"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 300mm 4D, ISO 800, f/5, 1/250 sec.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Wed 30-Jul-14 04:02 AM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: July, 2014 Assignment - Colorful Bokeh"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

I took this image last week and once I got home I remembered about this month's challange. I believe it fits well.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 30-Jul-14 09:06 PM
#29. "The Frog"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

D800, Nikon 300mm 4D, ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/250 sec

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 30-Jul-14 10:09 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "Mexican Petunia w/crepe myrtle backdrop"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jul-14 01:52 PM by jcaraway

Altamonte Spprings, US

D-300, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Aperture Priority, Spot Metering, +0.3EV, 1/1600s at F1.8, ISO 200

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 30-Jul-14 10:18 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "Bee at landscape Nursery"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jul-14 01:51 PM by jcaraway

Altamonte Spprings, US

D-300, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Aperture Priority, Spot Metering, +0.3EV, 1/2500s at F1.8, ISO 200

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Thu 31-Jul-14 01:54 PM
#32. "Flowers in the garden"
In response to Reply # 0

Altamonte Spprings, US

D-300, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Aperture Priority, Spot Metering, +0.3EV, 1/2000s at F1.8, ISO 200

jcaraway Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Thu 31-Jul-14 01:57 PM
#33. "Vining - nature's way"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jul-14 02:43 PM by jcaraway

Altamonte Spprings, US

D-300, Nikon 50mm 1.8D, Aperture Priority, Spot Metering, +0.3EV, 1/640s at F2.0, ISO 200

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 01-Aug-14 04:39 AM
3225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "Whitetail Buck In Vibrant Green BG.........................................................."
In response to Reply # 0

Mankato, US

I photographed this whitetail deer as he stood against a bright green hued background. D800 and Nikkor 200-400/4 lens.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Fri 01-Aug-14 04:42 AM
3225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "Loon Family...................................................................................................."
In response to Reply # 0

Mankato, US

I photographed this loon family in early morning against a backdrop of sunlit cattails.

D800, Nikkor 200-400/4 lens w/14TC.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10093 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.