Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10045
View in linear mode

Subject: "April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Tue 01-Apr-14 12:28 PM
4073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

As I mentioned at the beginning of January, the theme for the entire year will be the "cover shot". Each month will be a different magazine. You are the magazine photographer and your assignment is to capture the perfect image for the cover of that month's magazine. You will have complete freedom to choose the subject of your image so long as it is appropriate for the chosen magazine; however, the image must clearly be "cover worthy". Your image(s) must be presented in the "portrait" format as if it were going directly on the cover of the magazine. Landscape oriented shots will not be permitted. You may "photoshop" the magazine cover name on to the image for effect, but it is not required.

As you know, due to the low number of submissions, I expressed some concern over the viability of this theme in this post. The vote was clear, however, to keep going with the theme. I do hope that more of you will respond and submit images consistent with each month's cover assignment. REMEMBER, you do NOT have to photoshop in the name of the magazine. The only requirement is that it be in portrait mode.

Therefore, the April "cover shot" Assignment is “Field and Stream Magazine”.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF APRIL, 2014. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to April, 2014, is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream
tekneektom Gold Member
12th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream
rmigliaccio Administrator
12th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream
dm1dave Administrator
14th Apr 2014
Reply message RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Str...
doc85 Silver Member
14th Apr 2014
jwmatthews Silver Member
15th Apr 2014
massulo Gold Member
20th Apr 2014
DaddySS Gold Member
20th Apr 2014
massulo Gold Member
21st Apr 2014
dm1dave Administrator
24th Apr 2014
massulo Gold Member
21st Apr 2014
Reply message April Contest Cover Shot
niknac37 Silver Member
28th Apr 2014
Reply message April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream
niknac37 Silver Member
28th Apr 2014
niknac37 Silver Member
28th Apr 2014
Reply message Buck observed While Looking For Shed Antlers - Cover Sh...
Lunastar Silver Member
01st May 2014
Reply message Spring Hunting Dog Training- Cover Shot - Field and Str...
Lunastar Silver Member
01st May 2014
massulo Gold Member
01st May 2014

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 12-Apr-14 04:37 AM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Okay, someone has to start. Since I'm in New Mexico I decided that a special desert edition of Field & Stream is in order.

D800, Nikon 20mm 1.8D, ISO 100, f/22, 1/125 sec. PP in LR5, Cover developed in PS CC.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 12-Apr-14 10:29 AM
4073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream"
In response to Reply # 1

Barrington, US

Perfect! Nice job!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 14-Apr-14 10:13 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Desert Survival Edition - Field & Stream"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Nice work Tom!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

doc85 Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2008Mon 14-Apr-14 10:39 PM
394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

West Lafayette, US

This Osprey read the article mentioned in the white lettering on the right side and decided to go catch a Koi fish that lived in a pond on the Purdue Universiry golf course!
I was driving by the golf course when I spotted it circling and fighting a very stout wind last week before it dove straight down and came up with the fish dinner. I had my D800 with a new 80-400 lens attached available and found a place to park for about 150 pictures. Fun!

jwmatthews Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Tue 15-Apr-14 05:33 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Kasilof, US

Taken with a D300 AFS300mm 2.8 VR1 F6.3 1/2000 ISO 400 Auto white balance and Center weight metering.

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 20-Apr-14 01:21 PM
10517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Apr-14 01:21 PM by massulo

Tampa/Lutz, US

Spring Is In the Air..

D610
Nikon 700-200 F4

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Sun 20-Apr-14 03:32 PM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 6

Woodcliff Lake, US

Nice shot Preston.

A reverse zoom huh?

Richard

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 21-Apr-14 01:03 PM
10517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 7

Tampa/Lutz, US

Thank you ,,, What is a reverse zoom???

My Website

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 24-Apr-14 03:33 AM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Super shot, Preston!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 21-Apr-14 01:05 PM
#9. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Apr-14 01:06 PM by massulo

Tampa/Lutz, US

"Motherhood"
Taken at that rookery in broad daylight, I tried to create a deep forest effect and glow.
I have never seen Anhingha young before even though they are very prevalent down here.Too bad the adult has his or her back to us.
At the bottom we see a Cow Egret in her nest.

My Website

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Mon 28-Apr-14 07:39 AM
1858 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "April Contest Cover Shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Hai all, I had been to Corbet National park from 5th to 10th of this month. As I walked down the stream for a nature walk, this Dragon fly had just emerged from is nymph stage. It was morning 7:30,lighting was perfect.

D300s, Nikkon macro 105 VR, hand held, 1/1600, f:5.6, ISO 320

Pakku

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Mon 28-Apr-14 07:46 AM
1858 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. " April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Hai all, this is also from Corbet visit, on the nature trail, I had to laydown on my tummy to get this shot.

D300S, f:5.6, 1/1600, Nikkon 105 VR, ISO 320.

Pakku

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Mon 28-Apr-14 07:55 AM
#13. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

This shot is from Dhikala part of Corbet NP. It was eve time we were taken to grass land are hoping to see some action of Tiger. How ever wen we went a herd of elephants were in the water, soon many vehicle came. The elephants & the Deer wanted to cross over but these vehicles were blocking their way. after about 40 mins Deer managed to cross.

D3, 200- 400 VR @ 400 Bean bag rested, 1/250, f:4.5, ISO 500

Pakku

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Thu 01-May-14 12:52 PM
3050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "Buck observed While Looking For Shed Antlers - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 01-May-14 12:52 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

I photographed this buck in a meadow as I searched for shed antlers.
D800, Nikkor 200-400/4 @ f5.6, 1/400SS, ISO 1250, Monopod.
I didn't have much time to get a frame when I surprised this antlerless buck as we simultaneously topped a rise. I wanted to show off both the deer and his habitat before spooking him off. I didn't find any sheds but did find this handsome buck who made it through a brutal winter!
Again, space left at top for logos.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Thu 01-May-14 12:52 PM
3050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Spring Hunting Dog Training- Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 01-May-14 12:53 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

Captured this shot of my pal's springer while training. D300, 80-200/2.8 lens @f5.6, SS 1/3200, ISO 500
I shot images that day to show off the energy a field bred springer spaniel has for it's bird hunting training.
I left canvas on top for magazine logo and script.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Thu 01-May-14 07:48 PM
#16. "RE: April, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Field and Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

"Diversity In Nature"

My Website

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10045 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.