Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10006
View in linear mode

Subject: "February, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Rolling Stone" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
rmigliaccio Administrator Nikonian since 10th Mar 2004Sat 01-Feb-14 11:58 AM
4080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"February, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Rolling Stone"

Barrington, US

Please read the Rules and Objectives before you submit a photo for this Assignment.

As I mentioned at the beginning of January, the theme for the entire year will be the "cover shot". Each month will be a different magazine. You are the magazine photographer and your assignment is to capture the perfect image for the cover of that month's magazine. You will have complete freedom to choose the subject of your image so long as it is appropriate for the chosen magazine; however, the image must clearly be "cover worthy". Your image(s) must be presented in the "portrait" format as if it were going directly on the cover of the magazine. Landscape oriented shots will not be permitted. You may "photoshop" the magazine cover name on to the image for effect, but it is not required.

The February "cover shot" Assignment is “Rolling Stone”.

There are no other restrictions except that your image(s) MUST BE TAKEN DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY, 2014. I have noticed that some have used archived photos to satisfy an assignment (i.e. photos NOT taken during the month of the assignment). Using images taken prior to February, 2014, is NOT PERMITTED and will be deleted. Please honor the rules of the assignment.

As always, I emphasize “artistic”. Strive to be different; let your artistic juices flow when composing your image. Is the image you post for this assignment one you would be willing to frame and hang on your wall?? Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the assignment, and creativity just to name a few.

Also, over the course of the month, you may post no more than four (4) images. I want you to be discriminating in the selection of images you post for this assignment – PLEASE POST ONLY YOUR BEST SHOTS!!!

Also, please:

• Be imaginative and go for the unusual shot. After all, that’s what makes this fun!!!
• Do not use a shot in your archive – the whole point of this exercise is that it is an assignment.
• Submit only artistic shots. Naturally, we want to see your very best work with regard to subject matter and composition - translation – snapshots are not permitted.
• Include shooting data, and ideally, please include your thinking behind the scene – what were you trying/hoping to capture, and did you succeed?

As discussed here, the top five images will be selected by the previous month’s winner and be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. The winning image with be added to our new Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery.

I look forward to seeing how you fulfill this assignment!

Good luck!!!

Rob

My Nikonians Gallery

Team Page

My Website

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 16-Feb-14 04:46 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Ancient Stoners"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I guess I will get this one started. I am back to shooting subjects that don't talk.

D700, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 AF-S, f/4, 1/80 sec, ISO 200, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 16-Feb-14 06:58 PM
1871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ancient Stoners"
In response to Reply # 1

Land O Lakes, US

Very cool.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ruedi Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2005Tue 18-Feb-14 08:13 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "February, 2014 Assignment - Cover Shot - Rolling Stone - Wild Girl"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Feb-14 08:14 PM by ruedi

Bern, CH

Ok, here's my try (click on the pic to enlarge):

For the assignment I looked at some covers of Rolling Stone magazine and realized that most covers were studio shots of "beautiful" people.
I also thought for a cover of a rock magazine (as opposed to one of a fashion magazine) the image might well be a bit wild.

Well, me and my friend Yves photograph people for a hobby, so this proofed an ideal opportunity to put our skills to work.

Technical stuff: shot last week with my D800 (which is now in repair due to left focus problems). The girl is lit with two stripboxes with an SB900 each - tight above and below the camera. The shooting position was kind of awkward which was a way to make the model laugh. The white background is lit with another two SB900s.

Ruedi
Nikonian in Bern, Switzerland

Visit my Nikonians gallery or www.ruedis.ch

Forums Lobby IMAGE SHARING - POST PICTURES FORUMS Online Photo Assignments (Public) topic #10006 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.