nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #93
View in linear mode

Subject: "How can I get a good lighting?" Previous topic | Next topic
ddouxchamps   つくば, JP  Basic Member Mon 30-Jul-01 02:42 PM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How can I get a good lighting?"

Hi all,

I tested my 105 micro with two rolls and I stumble on one problem: lighting. With 1:1 reproduction ratio I need of course a lot of light on moving subjects (or subjects on moving substrate ). The sun is a great source but it produced several 'white' areas, others remaining rather dark. Not uncommon phenomenon, but...

My question is: is there a trick to get a good 'macro' light for outdoors? A paper reflector maybe? Or must I avoid too sunny hours? Or under-expose -1IL?

Thanks for your hints,

Damien

Damien
A Belgian Nikonian in Japan

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Merlin     Basic Member Mon 30-Jul-01 03:06 PM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How can I get a good lighting?"
In response to Reply # 0

Damien,

You're on the right track with all your suggestions: a paper reflector can be used to fill the shadows and prevent you overexposing the high spots; get out of the sun if you can... or wait for a cloud to soften the lighting for you or pick an overcast day.

Macro subjects are tricky, particularly if you're forced to shoot them outside under available light conditions. A small f-stop to give you enough depth of field causes a slow shutter speed, and you'd be surprised how much a flower moves around at 1/15th of a second even in a very light breeze.

Mike

http://www.geocities.com/heidoscop/

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources   San Pedro Garza García, MX  Charter Member Tue 31-Jul-01 11:22 PM
35656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How can I get a good lighting?"
In response to Reply # 1

An inexpensive alternative solution is shown here
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #93 Previous topic | Next topic