Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #89
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash for marco photography" Previous topic | Next topic
dw Basic MemberMon 16-Jul-01 11:55 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash for marco photography"

Hong Kong,

Hi Fellow Nikonians,

One of my friend has keen interest in macro photgrapghy with her F80 with AF Nikkor 28-105. which was purchased at my advice. She is considering purchasing a flash unit mainly for macrophotgraphy.

Nikon speedlight will be the best but the current budget is not OK. Any suggestion for a 3rd party marco flash. I have seen a Vivitar marco speedlight. Is it OK?

BTW, any tips in using flash in marco photography?

Best regards to you all,
DW

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 17-Jul-01 02:53 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash for marco photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I'd advise using a coiled cord SC-17 with a standard design TTL flash before going with a specific macro flash like a ringflash.

Although the 28-105 is a fine all around lens, it's not on par with a good macro lens or even a standard lens with close focus accessories. I'd go with a more flexible "normal" flash until the passion for macro work also manifests itself in a lens that is up to the task (say a 105 Micro Nikkor).

As a former ringflash owner, I've found that a standard flash head can render more dramatic results when used with reflector panels. A lens mounted flash tends to provide a flat, shadowless light that is great for shooting stamp collections but which isn't very dramatic for 3D subjects.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 17-Jul-01 03:39 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash for marco photography"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Tell her to buy any shoe-mount TTL flash that has a bounce head, then buy a Lumiquest pocket bounce, and she is all set. Generally speaking, with flash at macro distances, stick to ISO 100 film and apertures of f11 and smaller. ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

dw Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 01:13 AM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash for marco photography"
In response to Reply # 2

Hong Kong,

Thank you for your practical advices. I will pass the message to her. I found the message is also very useful to me too.

Thanka sagain.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #89 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.