Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #74
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems using SB-28 for macro photography" Previous topic | Next topic
traupis Basic MemberMon 25-Jun-01 06:27 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"

AR

Hi, I have a Nikon F100, SB-28, flash braket and SC-17. Wich is the best way to arrange this items for insect photography? I usually have under/over exposure problems when using the flash mounted in the bracket at 1:1, 1:2 ratios with the 105mm AF D micro lens. I use the flash in TTL (no automatic balanced fill-flash) with no compensation and the camera set in manual mode (1/250, F/22, matrix metering, usually handheld and manual focus). I also set the flash to 24mm zoom or use the wide flash adapter. The braket leaves the flash at camera level and about 7 inches from the lens. I don't use a tripod for this kind of photography because insects move a lot!! I only use it to reduce dark backgrounds using slow speeds during daylight when shooting inmobile subjects. Most of the time I shoot during night so I attached a small flashlight at the bottom of the flash bracket for correct focusing.
Someone knows wich could be the problem?

Thanks.

Pablo Rodriguez.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography
jrp Administrator
26th Jun 2001
jnscbl
26th Jun 2001
traupis
26th Jun 2001
Ed
26th Jun 2001
Photon
02nd Jul 2001
traupis
02nd Jul 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 26-Jun-01 12:13 AM
34287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Pablo:
Se me hace que estás demasiado cerca y con película muy rápida.
I have the impression that you may be placing the flash too close to your subject and maybe using too fast a film for the purpose. At close distances you always have to use the wide angle diffuser.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 26-Jun-01 02:36 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I can not see a problem with your setup. This is basically what I do with a N60 and SB-24. Have you tried slide film? ---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

traupis Basic MemberTue 26-Jun-01 11:41 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 2

AR

I use Velvia and Provia 100F, maybe I should do some tests with compensation both on flash and camera to see if I correct this problem. Hopefully I'll buy a sb-29 macro ring flash next month and try with it, but I'm a bit afraid of getting to much flat images despite the ability of changing the ratio power between the units.

Thanks,

Pablo ROdriguez.

Ed Basic MemberTue 26-Jun-01 05:24 PM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 3

US

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-01 AT 07:26 PM (GMT)

I shoot flowers (even tiny ones at 1:1), and except for the use of flash bracket, that is also my film and my setup and I've had no problems with exposure (so far). I've even using an older non-D setup with F4 and SB-24. I usually have my camera on tripod and SB-24 off-camera and handheld.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Photon Mon 02-Jul-01 05:05 AM

#5. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Pablo
You cannot expect good pictures using one flashgun unless you are relatively far from the insect and able to use reflectors. Using one flash only without reflectors will allways result in harsh shadows. The idea is to differentially illuminate your subject from two sides, one side being 1/2 stop less than the other. This will ensure depth (perspective) with no harsh shadows that contains no detail. Using your 105mm, you have to be within about 30cm of the subject. Setting up two flashguns or reflectors is difficult in that situation. The most convenient way is to use the macrso flash - SB29. The output of the two flshbulbs can be set differently ensuring depth.

traupis Basic MemberMon 02-Jul-01 09:25 PM
#6. "RE: Problems using SB-28 for macro photography"
In response to Reply # 5

AR

Thank's for the recomendations. I was actually wondering if it was going to be better to buy an SB-29 ring flash!
Have you been at the minden pictures website?

http://www.mindenpictures.com

Check out the insect pictures taken by Mark Moffett!!
They are incredible, do you know wich kind of flash setup he uses?

Thanks,

Pablo

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #74 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.