Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #58
View in linear mode

Subject: "Close-up lens" Previous topic | Next topic
cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberTue 19-Jun-01 10:54 PM
6267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Close-up lens"

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi,

I would love to purchase the 105mm Macro for portraits and macro photography, but it is not in the budget at this time. Have any of you used close-up lens? What brands? On what size lens (focal)? What are the pros and cons?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am new to photography and want to try it all!

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
"From the Atchafalaya Basin, in Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA"
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

NikoScope® - Find Photography Friends From All Over The World

Nikonians Academy - Master Your Photography
www.nikoniansacademy.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Close-up lens
osteinz
20th Jun 2001
f5fstop
20th Jun 2001
TD
20th Jun 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
22nd Jun 2001
JM
20th Jun 2001
jrp Administrator
20th Jun 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
22nd Jun 2001
jrong
23rd Jun 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
24th Jun 2001
jrong
07th Jul 2001

osteinz Basic MemberWed 20-Jun-01 12:38 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

this lens is an excellent one - sharp and good contrast. it tends to "hunt" a bit when focusing on objects with less contrast.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberWed 20-Jun-01 12:51 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Private, UM

I take it from you message you are asking about a close up lens kit; consisting of close up lenses that screw onto the end of a lens?
I ask this since you mention the 105mm lens, but say it is not in your budget at this time.
If this is correct, please let us know, and someone should be able to help. Personally, I have not used close up lens attachments for over twenty years, and hopefully, with the advances in optical technology, they have improved.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--
And watch our for snakes...

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

TD Basic MemberWed 20-Jun-01 12:59 AM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Everett, US

I have personally not used closeup lenses, but they are reputed to give very good results if you stop down to f/8. The Nikon two-element design is the best out there.

A couple of earlier threads have discussed this topic and may have some useful information for you. Take a look at:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/300.html#

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID8/57.html#

Best of luck,

tad

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberFri 22-Jun-01 12:21 AM
6267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Breaux Bridge, US

Thank you Tad.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

JM Registered since 01st Mar 2007Wed 20-Jun-01 02:10 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

As an amatuer of more desire than money I do use close up filters. These add on lenses allow for psuedo-macro results that I have never taken out passed 8X10 but have good results to there.
To add insult to injury all the pieces in my filter bag...incudes duplicates...are off brand bought used and make magical images within the confines of my expectations and abilities. None are even the 2lens style of the Nikon design.
If you can check in at a local shop and ask if they have a used bin. I have found them in almost every store I looked for them in...used for a good price...and love the framing I am capable of with floral schemes with a 100-300mm zoom. I have used them with a 50mm but object to film distance eventually settles just inside the front element
If you go that way shoot in good focus if you forge on into the micro/macro realmn enjoy that too.
Jeff Markus

JM
The Chicagoan

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 20-Jun-01 02:47 PM
34482 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 4

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-01 AT 04:50 PM (GMT)

There is another alternative which for sure will render better results, a true macro lens of a non-OEM.
I purchased a Tokina AT-X M100AF f-2.8 macro lens and it works just great for my needs. Price is half of that of the Nikkor.
You mght want to take a sneak preview to the related article, currently in the process of going here on-line.
Additional results with this lens can be seen at the thread:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID63/4.html#
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberFri 22-Jun-01 12:10 AM
#6. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks for the sneak preview. Defintely something to think about.

Thanks.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

jrong Basic MemberSat 23-Jun-01 08:20 AM
2153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 5

London, GB

I too wanted a macro lens to experiment with close-up shots but like you, I couldn't quite afford a real macro lens yet so I opted for the Nikon 6T close-up lens that screwed in to my Nikon 70-300mm lens.

You definitely need a tripod and cable release for this setup as ANY camera shake WILL blur the end results. And I've found it extremely difficult to focus as well (I always switch to manual on my F80 for close-ups like these!) -- the lens instructions say to focus using the area outside the main focusing circle in the viewfinder. For high magnifications, the depth of field is also extremely limited, for e.g if you are shooting a picture of a strawberry, only a small portion of it will be sharp at maximum magnification.

Perhaps focusing with a 5T lens will be easier but I haven't any experience with that.

I have yet to develop my slides of close-ups, but I will definitely post them here whenever I get them, that is, if they're not too terrible!

jin

"Penguins Have More Sense" - A.L Kennedy

ArtemisWorks Photography

"Whatever debases the intelligence degrades the entire human being."

- Simone Weil

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSun 24-Jun-01 11:59 PM
#9. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 8

Breaux Bridge, US

Please let me know when you post them. I would love to see them. Thanks for the info.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

jrong Basic MemberSat 07-Jul-01 07:25 AM
2153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Close-up lens"
In response to Reply # 9

London, GB

Hello again,
I've finally posted an example to the Pictures I Took section of this website, taken with the 70-300mm+6T close-up lens.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID40/222.html

jin

"Penguins Have More Sense" - A.L Kennedy

ArtemisWorks Photography

"Whatever debases the intelligence degrades the entire human being."

- Simone Weil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #58 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.