Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #53578
View in linear mode

Subject: "March Contest - Tools" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 02-Mar-14 11:03 PM
11688 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"March Contest - Tools"
Mon 03-Mar-14 02:59 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

The March contest theme is Tools.

All tools are acceptable -- woodworking, yard, kitchen, etc

Be sure to enter your image title in the subject line - don't simply reply without changing the subject line.

Here are a couple of sample images from Geoff Bayliss.

Participating in our monthly contests can help us to become better photographers. We can see and learn from all of the entries as our members showcase their best work each month.

These monthly contests are the preliminary rounds for the Best of Nikonians Photo Contest where you have the opportunity to win attractive prizes and have your images highlighted in the Winners Galleries and published in the eZine.

The top images will be selected by the winner of the previous months challenge and will be included in a poll for members to vote for the winning photo. Please keep in mind that images will be selected based on image quality, subject matter, relevance to the theme, and creativity just to name a few.

The winning image will be added to the Monthly Challenge Winner’s Gallery for the Macro and Close-Up Forum.

We look forward to seeing how you fulfill this challenge!

Good luck!!!

RULES:
-- Post up to 5 images but only one image per post
-- Include shooting info so we can learn from each other
-- Previously posted images are welcome but not previous contest winners.
-- When posting please do so by hitting the ‘reply’ link below this top post, not the reply link to another post.
-- Include a title in the subject line
-- Capture must be shot with a Nikon camera and any lens
-- Comments are welcome but NO public critiquing, i.e., how to make it better. This is a contest so PM's are a better way to offer feedback
-- WARNING Posts that do not meet the spirit of the challenge will not be selected as finalists and may be periodically removed by the moderators without notice.

Note: The number of finalists will be proportional to the number of entries. 50+ post will have 6 finalists, less than 50 will be 5 finalists, and 25 or less will have only 4 finalists.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014[/font

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Eye of the Needle
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
04th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Eye of the Needle
lizmcf Silver Member
08th Mar 2014
     Reply message RE: Eye of the Needle
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
11th Mar 2014
Reply message Cork Screw
04th Mar 2014
Reply message Cut to the Point
04th Mar 2014
Reply message Home Made Camera Level
04th Mar 2014
Reply message Crime Scene
04th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Crime Scene
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
05th Mar 2014
05th Mar 2014
clickhans
05th Mar 2014
05th Mar 2014
stevesottl Gold Member
05th Mar 2014
06th Mar 2014
Reply message "Nervous"
MongoG Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
Reply message Mortise and Tenon Marker - Woodworking
MongoG Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
Reply message Wired
MongoG Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
Reply message Otoscope
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography.
08th Mar 2014
Reply message Wood Rasp
MongoG Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
Reply message Swiss Knife
MongoG Gold Member
08th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: March Contest -Phillips Head
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
09th Mar 2014
Reply message Leatherman Skeletool
domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography.
09th Mar 2014
Reply message Skeletool on Mirror
09th Mar 2014
Reply message Spider Basket
09th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: March Contest - Tools
Dgastrong Gold Member
10th Mar 2014
Reply message Stone Hunting Tool
Dgastrong Gold Member
10th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Stone Hunting Tool
11th Mar 2014
     Reply message RE: Stone Hunting Tool
Dgastrong Gold Member
12th Mar 2014
Reply message Green Impression Drill Press
Lenexa Silver Member
10th Mar 2014
Reply message Tool for Geeks!
Dgastrong Gold Member
11th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Tool for Geeks!
11th Mar 2014
Dgastrong Gold Member
12th Mar 2014
13th Mar 2014
13th Mar 2014
AusPhotoMan Silver Member
20th Mar 2014
Reply message Old Engineering Tools
13th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Old Engineering Tools
Dgastrong Gold Member
14th Mar 2014
14th Mar 2014
14th Mar 2014
Dgastrong Gold Member
16th Mar 2014
Reply message Sextant Shades
anabasis Silver Member
14th Mar 2014
Reply message Keuffel & Esser CO. N.Y.
rstcso Gold Member
15th Mar 2014
Reply message Abney Level
rstcso Gold Member
15th Mar 2014
Reply message Switzerland
rstcso Gold Member
15th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: March Contest - Tools mixing it up
nikocarol Silver Member
21st Mar 2014
Reply message Surreal Grind
23rd Mar 2014
Reply message salad tong tulips
hnease Silver Member
23rd Mar 2014
Reply message RE: March Contest - Tools - Micrometers Chatting
KenLPhotos Gold Member
23rd Mar 2014
Reply message Uniball
jds59 Gold Member
24th Mar 2014
Reply message Diablo
gheck58 Silver Member
25th Mar 2014
Reply message Tripod
gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum.
28th Mar 2014
Reply message Artifacts - Tools
Dgastrong Gold Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message RE: Artifacts - Tools
30th Mar 2014
     Reply message RE: Artifacts - Tools
Dgastrong Gold Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Old hand drills
rhagen Silver Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Tenon Cutter
rhagen Silver Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Rasp
philipl Gold Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Instrument Planes
philipl Gold Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Instrument Plane II
philipl Gold Member
30th Mar 2014
Reply message Sparky's Pouch
gheck58 Silver Member
31st Mar 2014
Reply message Artist's Tools
hnease Silver Member
31st Mar 2014

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Mar-14 01:33 AM
13149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "Eye of the Needle"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Camera: D200
Lens and Filters: 200 mm Micro Nikkor f/4 AFD EDIF
Film and/or ISO: 200
Aperture: f/16
Shutter speed: 6.0 sec
Tripod and Head
Gitzo 3541L, Markins M20L

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

lizmcf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2006Sat 08-Mar-14 10:27 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Eye of the Needle"
In response to Reply # 1

Manorville, US

I Loce this shot. Beautiful.
Liz

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 11-Mar-14 06:56 AM
13149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: Eye of the Needle"
In response to Reply # 16

San Jose, US

Thanks Liz it was a very small needle, like the ones you get in those hotel kits.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Mar-14 01:36 AM
#2. "Cork Screw"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Lens and Filters: 200mm f/4 AFD EDIF Micro Nikkor
Film and/or ISO: 100
Aperture: f/22
Shutter speed: 1/60 Flash

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Mar-14 01:39 AM
#3. "Cut to the Point"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Lens and Filters: 200mm f/4 AFD EDIF Micro Nikkor
Film and/or ISO: 100
Aperture: f/22
Shutter speed: 14s

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Mar-14 01:43 AM
#4. "Home Made Camera Level"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

This is a home made bubble level that fits on my D200 hot shoe. I salvaged the hot shoe adapter from a broken flash, bought the yellow bubble level for about $2.50 and fastened it to the shoe adapter with some double backed tape. It works great!

Lens and Filters: 55 mm F/2.8 Micro Nikkor AIS
Film and/or ISO: 200
Aperture: f/32
Shutter speed: 0.8 sec

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 04-Mar-14 01:53 AM
#5. "Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Mar-14 01:35 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

I stumbled upon this crime scene today; it was awful there was carrot juice everywhere! Amazingly the carrot was still alive, so I called 911 and took this picture after the police arrived. I went to the hospital to visit the carrot, and he looked pretty bad with tubes stuck in him everywhere. I was there when the doctor came in and told the carrot that he had good news and bad news. The carrot asked "What's the good news?" and the doctor answered "You are going to live". The carrot asked "Then what's the bad news?" The doctor responded "Your going to be a vegetable the rest of your life!"

Carrot and knife taken with D200 and 200 mm Micro Nikkor mounted on a Star D 100 tripod. f/16, 1.8 sec MLU, ISO 200. This image was processed in Capture NX. The rest was created in PS CS3 Extended and then composited.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Wed 05-Mar-14 05:16 PM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 5

Buckeye, US

You cracked me up!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Mar-14 07:59 PM
#8. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

When I was working, the guy who ran contracts used to tell me punny jokes - he was a big fan of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". So this whole thing is based upon the joke he told me one day. It is a true "groner".

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

clickhans Registered since 10th Jul 2012Wed 05-Mar-14 07:20 PM
1161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 5

UM

Admire your creativity and tks for making me LOL!

best
hans

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 05-Mar-14 07:59 PM
#9. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Thanks Hans

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

stevesottl Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2014Wed 05-Mar-14 08:08 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 5

Morristown, US

Great sense of humor there....someone might call PETA on you....

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 06-Mar-14 01:33 AM
#11. "RE: Crime Scene"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

I didn't know Peta protected plants. In fact I have a joke that I made up about an agency that did support plant rights and protested against inhumane processing of plant based materials. But I am not sure I can post it here as it involves a particular Post cereal for the punch line.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 08-Mar-14 04:05 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. ""Nervous""
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Micro, Tripod, Remote Trigger, Manual, ISO 100, f/10, 0.6s

Its always important to remember that no matter where you're at, there you are.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 08-Mar-14 04:17 PM
178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Mortise and Tenon Marker - Woodworking"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8, Tripod, Remote Trigger, Manual, ISO 100, f/16, 3.0s

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 08-Mar-14 04:50 PM
#14. "Wired"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Wire brush used for cleaning out the grooves on a wood file.

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8, Tripod, Remote Trigger, Double Stacked Really Right Stuff Rail System, Manual exposure, ISO 100, f/13, 1.6s, 7 shot stacked image

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sat 08-Mar-14 09:58 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "Otoscope"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Mar-14 03:09 PM by domer2760

Ann Arbor, US

This is a vintage otoscope made in the 1960s. My daughter called it the ear looker inner thingie.
Low key shooting to tame some of the reflections. The shallow DOF is deliberate.

D700, Nikkor 58mm AFS, f/4, 1/60 sec, -1EV, ISO 3200 (love this camera), hand held.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.
Visit my Infrared Photo Blog.

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 08-Mar-14 11:51 PM
#17. "Wood Rasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105 mm 2.8, tripod, Manual exposure, ISO 100, f/16, 2.0s

MongoG Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Sat 08-Mar-14 11:54 PM
#18. "Swiss Knife"
In response to Reply # 0

Waunakee, US

Nikon D800, Nikkor 105mm 2.8, Tripod, ISO 100, f/16, 2.5s

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 09-Mar-14 01:01 AM
9809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: March Contest -Phillips Head"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Mar-14 01:04 AM by James23p

Memphis, US

Coolpix P330
ISO 80
PP in CNX2
f1.8
2.5 sec
Table Top Tripod

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 09-Mar-14 03:00 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "Leatherman Skeletool"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

This lives in my camera bag. Taken on a dark fleece background and converted to black and white.

D7000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AFD, f/2.8, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, off-camera flash.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 09-Mar-14 03:51 PM
#21. "Skeletool on Mirror"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Another BW shot of the Leatherman skeletool. This time the tool was placed on a small mirror.

D7000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AFD, f/3.5, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, hard light from an overhead flash.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 09-Mar-14 05:16 PM
#22. "Spider Basket"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

I posted this photo previously (but not in a contest). This is a spider basket and its shadow taken against a flexible cutting mat.
I didn't realize why they called it a spider basket until I took this photo.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, f/10, 1/40 sec, -0.3 EV, ISO 640.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Mon 10-Mar-14 09:12 PM
1122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: March Contest - Tools"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

Screwdriver from the past...

D7000, 105mm f/2.8 VR @105m ISO 1250, 1/60sec, f/5

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Mon 10-Mar-14 11:22 PM
1122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "Stone Hunting Tool"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

From an unknown Eskimo tribe ca. 1940, used to skin seals (?)

D7000, 105mm f/2.8VR, ISO 640, f/16, 1/10 sec.+0.3EV

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 11-Mar-14 07:00 AM
#30. "RE: Stone Hunting Tool"
In response to Reply # 24

San Jose, US

Nicely done.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Wed 12-Mar-14 02:35 PM
#31. "RE: Stone Hunting Tool"
In response to Reply # 30

Sonoita, US

Thanks Bob!
Dale

Lenexa Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2011Mon 10-Mar-14 11:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "Green Impression Drill Press"
In response to Reply # 0

Lenexa, US

Camera: D800
Lens: 105 Micro Nikkor f 2.8
data: f22 1/250 second
Flash

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Tue 11-Mar-14 12:25 AM
#27. "Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 11-Mar-14 12:26 AM by dm1dave

Sonoita, US

Should remember how to use this but....

D7000, 105 f/2.8 VR, f/7.1, ISO320 1/25sec +.3 EV

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 11-Mar-14 06:59 AM
#29. "RE: Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 27

San Jose, US

Very sharp nice shot. I still have my K&L slide rule, in a drawer somewhere.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Wed 12-Mar-14 02:39 PM
#32. "RE: Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 29

Sonoita, US

Bob. Take it out and use it..... I dare you.

Dale

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 13-Mar-14 06:32 AM
#33. "RE: Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 32

San Jose, US

Dale I will look for it and try it out. See your picture inspired me.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 13-Mar-14 11:01 PM
#35. "RE: Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 33
Fri 14-Mar-14 05:20 AM by robsb

San Jose, US

Sorry Dale but it seems your really sharp image inspired me more than I thought. I found my slide rule and also found a manual on line, which I have to go through. I need to read the manual because all I remember is how to multiply with the slide rule. But since you got me thinking, I decided to put together some other old tools that have been replaced by cad programs today. No spilled ink or fancy drafting tools required any longer. When I got done setting it up and photographing it. I was first just going to post to my gallery. But I decided it was different enough from your excellent sharp image that focuses only on the slide rule that I have posted it to the contest. I still owe you some comments on how to use the slide rule and I will post some key things later.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

AusPhotoMan Silver Member Nikonian since 21st May 2013Thu 20-Mar-14 04:50 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Tool for Geeks!"
In response to Reply # 27

AU

Brings back fond memories! Kids today don't know how easy they have it!

Steve

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 13-Mar-14 10:54 PM
#34. "Old Engineering Tools"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 13-Mar-14 11:03 PM by robsb

San Jose, US

Dave Summers please remove my Corkscrew image from the contest and replace it with this file.

Some very old tools of the trade for engineering students in the late 1950's. The Pickett and Eckel Slide Rule was top of the line at that time.

D700 with 17-35 f/2.8 24mm. f/8, 1s, ISO 200 manual exposure. mounted on Gitzo tripod with Markins ball head.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Fri 14-Mar-14 12:24 AM
#36. "RE: Old Engineering Tools"
In response to Reply # 34

Sonoita, US

Very nice Bob. I like the combination of Geek-Stuff!

Now, back away from the geek-dum stuff and return to photography (digital please)

Dale (AKA Uncle Geek)

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 14-Mar-14 02:51 AM
#37. "RE: Old Engineering Tools"
In response to Reply # 36

San Jose, US

If you are interested in learning more about your Slide Rule, you can probably find your manual on line. I don't know what scales you have on yours but I have C,D, CI, DI CF, DF, S,T, ST, Sq root cube root, and some other scales I am reading about now. I will post a few comments on each in a few days. To search I just typed the name and model number in a search engine and found a site that has copies of many slide rule manuals. I had forgotten all of the things you could do with the slide rule besides multiplication and division, Aside from the low resolution, it is very powerful and quick to use.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Fri 14-Mar-14 05:20 AM
#38. "RE: Old Engineering Tools"
In response to Reply # 37

San Jose, US

Dale:

I finally scanned the Slide rule Manual. I know you will recall that the C&D scales can be used for multiplication and division. You put the index of C over the first number on D then move the Curser to the second number on C and read the answer on D. For division you find the number you are dividing on D and move the divisor on C over that number and read the answer at the C index. All the rest of the scales are primarily calculation aids. For example DF and CF are just the C&D scales folded to start at pi, and are handy for calculations that involve pi, like circular areas and circumferences, that are easily just read off those scales in conjunction with the D scale. The S scale compute Sine's and Cosines, the T scale for Tangents and Cotangents and the ST for small Sine, Cosine and Tangent and Cotangent angles. The CI and Di scales are used to find reciprocals. You place the cursor on the C scale number and read its reciprocal right under that cursor on the C1 scale.

I also have folded square root and Cube route scales. You just set your cursor on the number you want a root for on the D scale and read the answer under the cursor on the cube root or square root scale. On the back of my rule I have folded log scales which can also be used to do reciprocals and powers and also log calculations. In all it was fun to revisit a tool that required no batteries, allowed you to do complex calculations in the days before computers. Thanks to your post we all have taken a walk back down memory lane.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 16-Mar-14 04:34 AM
#43. "RE: Old Engineering Tools"
In response to Reply # 38

Sonoita, US

Bob, Bob, oh Bob.
Now I'm worried.....

That was a really good review and you are correct, a nice trip down memory lane! Except for the flashback to the exams, oh the headaches....

Thanks Bob!!

Fellow geek Dale.

anabasis Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2003Fri 14-Mar-14 02:51 PM
1818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#39. "Sextant Shades"
In response to Reply # 0

Edwardsville, US

How we see the sun at sea:

Nikon D700, 85mm f2.8D PC Nikkor, Nikon CP filter.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2013Sat 15-Mar-14 07:00 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "Keuffel & Esser CO. N.Y."
In response to Reply # 0

Round Rock, US

K&E architect's scale.

Regards,
Brent

D7100 60m f/2.8D @ f/14 1/60s SB-700 & SB-800

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2013Sat 15-Mar-14 07:03 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "Abney Level"
In response to Reply # 0

Round Rock, US

Keuffel & Esser Abney level.

Regards,
Brent

D7100 60m f/2.8D @ f/8 1/60s ISO 100 SB-700 & SB-800

rstcso Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2013Sat 15-Mar-14 07:10 PM
#42. "Switzerland"
In response to Reply # 0

Round Rock, US

Keuffel & Esser Map Measurer.

Regards,
Brent

D7100 60m f/2.8D @ f/14 1/60s ISO 100 SB-700 & SB-800

nikocarol Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jun 2010Fri 21-Mar-14 03:25 AM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: March Contest - Tools mixing it up"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

Thanks for looking...

domer2760 Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his frequent assistance to other members by sharing his perspective, skills and expertise, especially with infrared and macro photography. Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2010Sun 23-Mar-14 04:06 PM
#46. "Surreal Grind"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Final entry for the month - a shallow-focus approach to an old kitchen food grinder.

D700, Nikkor 58mm f/1.4 AFS, f/1.4, 1/800 sec, ISO 200, handheld.

Dan
Ann Arbor, Michigan

My Flickr Photostream.

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Sun 23-Mar-14 04:32 PM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "salad tong tulips"
In response to Reply # 0

Germantown, US

These are some plastic salad tongs I shot with cross polarization. My wife commented that they looked like tulips, so I extended the handles in photoshop.

D7000, nikkor 105 micro, .5 sec, f/10, iso 100

howard

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 23-Mar-14 08:26 PM
1448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: March Contest - Tools - Micrometers Chatting"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

D700, 105.0 mm f/2.8, 1/30 s at f/9.0, ISO 3200

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

jds59 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2013Mon 24-Mar-14 11:41 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "Uniball"
In response to Reply # 0

Hundred, US

D800, 105 Micro Nikkor, f11, 1.5s, Manfrotto tripod Markins Q3.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Tue 25-Mar-14 01:28 AM
2770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#50. "Diablo"
In response to Reply # 0

Aliso Viejo, US

Miter Saw, Diablo blade. D700, 105VR at f/13, 1/200. SB-910, SB-900 with gel. Controlled by Pocketwizard TT1 and TT5's

Hecky

gmth Gold Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 10th Feb 2012Fri 28-Mar-14 10:18 AM
686 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#51. "Tripod"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Mar-14 10:18 AM by gmth

Lewisville, US

D4 | f4 | 70mm | 640 | 1/1000
Glenn - Nikonian in North Texas - USA

my Nikonians gallery.

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 30-Mar-14 12:01 AM
#52. "Artifacts - Tools"
In response to Reply # 0

Sonoita, US

From Decades to Centuries Old. Arizona, New Mexico, and the Arctic.

Enjoy,
Dale

D7000, 24-70mm f/2.8, ISO 500, f/7.1, 1/6 sec

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Sun 30-Mar-14 05:35 AM
#53. "RE: Artifacts - Tools"
In response to Reply # 52

San Jose, US

Dale your B&W treatment is luminous! Well done.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 30-Mar-14 03:43 PM
#59. "RE: Artifacts - Tools"
In response to Reply # 53

Sonoita, US

Thanks very much Bob!
Dale

rhagen Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2011Sun 30-Mar-14 11:24 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#54. "Old hand drills"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Mar-14 11:25 AM by rhagen

Owings, US

Three old hand drills in my collection.

rhagen Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Oct 2011Sun 30-Mar-14 11:28 AM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "Tenon Cutter"
In response to Reply # 0

Owings, US

This is the business of an old tenon cutter that I use to make rustic stick chairs. It mounts in a hand brace like an auger bit and cuts round tenons on the end of a stick.

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 30-Mar-14 03:22 PM
1742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "Rasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

Wood rasp D300, 105 macro, 1/125 sec F10, ISO 800 -.7 EV SB400

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 30-Mar-14 03:25 PM
1742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "Instrument Planes"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D300 105 micro F10 1/125 sec ISO 800 -.7EV SB 400

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Sun 30-Mar-14 03:27 PM
#58. "Instrument Plane II"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

D300 105 micro F10 1/125 sec ISO 800 -.7EV SB 400

Philip

My Gallery

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Mon 31-Mar-14 12:03 AM
2770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "Sparky's Pouch"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 31-Mar-14 04:55 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

From another era when I used to be an electrician. Still do the occasional odd job for a friend though. D3, 105VR, f/16, 1/250, Elicnhrom Quadra with 16" Maxilite reflector and collapsible reflector for fill.

Hecky

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Mon 31-Mar-14 12:58 AM
179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "Artist's Tools"
In response to Reply # 0

Germantown, US

Some of my wife's paintbrushes.

d7000, Nikkor 105 micro, f 3, 1/40 ISO 125 stack of 5 images

Howard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #53578 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.