Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #52296
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which macro lens should I get?" Previous topic | Next topic
LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Fri 13-Sep-13 04:10 AM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which macro lens should I get?"

Houston, Texas, US

I'm looking to get a Micro lens to replace the 60 I recently sold because I want more working distance. I'm looking at the 105 2.8D or 200 AIS. I know the 200 has the ever so loved tripod collar and more WD, but the 105 goes to 1:1 and is a little less expensive. Which one is better for copying flat objects, such as slides? And I should get a large enough RR to copy sildes on DX with the 200 and PN-11????

Bill

D7100 D300, F4e, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 eye level, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN

So many cameras, so little time....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 13-Sep-13 01:13 PM
5928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which macro lens should I get?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

For copying slides and other flat objects, the something around 60mm is probably the best choice.

If you are shooting insects or other jittery objects, longer focal length will help keep you from disturbing them. Once you get to a long lens (150mm plus) the tripod collar will help insure that the lens/camera combination is stable.

Lenses in the 90-105 range are good, all around macro lenses, and the Nikon 105G VR is still my default choice for macro shooting.

I suggest you also look at the 3rd party lenses. Of the current crop of true macro lenses, I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #52296 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.