Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51610
View in linear mode

Subject: "My non-entry in the on-line photo contest..." Previous topic | Next topic
pqtrths Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sat 29-Jun-13 10:27 PM
544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My non-entry in the on-line photo contest..."

Dublin, CA, US

Hello:

My first post-processing effort anywhere. I was going to enter this photo in the on-line contest when I noticed that the entries were limited to June, 2013; the attached photo was taken one year ago.

Capture: Nikon D200, Nikon 105mm, f2.8 MF macro lens, ISO 100, f 8.0 @ 1/640, hand held.

Post processing: Adobe Elements 8, Exposure +0.5, Recovery +25, Fill light +10, Black + 5, Brightness +50, Clarity +50, Contrast +50, Vibrance +50, and Saturation +25. Limited sharpening.

Please comment.

Mo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 03-Jul-13 10:16 PM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My non-entry in the on-line photo contest..."
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Marion:

This is a nice, soft, almost pastel image that is well composed and exposed.

It looks a bit soft all over. Was this your intent, or, was your manual focus off a bit?

If you were hand holding and manually focusing the lens, perhaps your hand moved, and/or a gust of wind moved the flower. A shutter speed of 1/640 second is fast enough to stop wind or hand movement, assuming the lens is in focus.

A tripod will help in situations like this, as camera movement will be one less thing to worry about.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for posting this, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

pqtrths Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Fri 05-Jul-13 08:28 PM
544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My non-entry in the on-line photo contest..."
In response to Reply # 1

Dublin, CA, US

Hal:

Thank you for the response and for the complement. I couldn't remember if I had/had not used my Cokin Diffusion #1 filter on this photo, but I'm thinking that I did use this filter for a soft focus effect.

I took this photo at a regional shopping center that continually goes back/forth on photography; what was once open access to the center's entire outdoor areas is becoming more restrictive due to security concerns. Tripods, though not prohibited, are discouraged because of potential tripping hazards. Hence, I was focusing hand-held.

I was focusing on the red petal portion of the flower. Even though I used a very fast shutter speed, my distance from the flower combined with the narrow depth of field meant that the wind gusts would move the petal outside of the focus plane. I was also leaning far forward for the photo and remaining stable without rocking back and forth was difficult for me.

I'm getting over my post-processing hesitation and start posting more of my photos. The visual quality of the capture and post processing of so many of the photos shown in these forums is my goal.

Thank you again for your comments; they are well-meant and well-taken by me.

Mp

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51610 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.