nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51533
View in linear mode

Subject: "Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper" Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 24-Jun-13 02:41 AM
4001 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"

Simsbury, US

I went out in my yard to pick up some dead tree branches and noticed four of these Hairstreaks battling over territory. Finally one would land on one of my mountain laurel bushes. This happened several times. Unfortunately there was an almost constant breeze so I had trouble getting a shot that wasn't ruined by motion blur. I jacked my ISO up to 800 so I could use a high shutter speed and was able to get a couple of good shots.

The skipper is from another chilly morning with heavy dew. Once again I couldn't pass this up even though I have loads of pictures of these European Skippers. I am trying to find other subjects but I see dozens of these in this meadow and some are hard to pass up.

John

1. D800, 300 f/4 with tube, 1/750s, f/8, ISO 800

2. D800, 105 f/2.8, 5 frames at 1/15s, f/8, ISO 100

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper
LeanderTX79 Silver Member
24th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
25th Jun 2013
TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
25th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
26th Jun 2013
AUMike Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
28th Jun 2013
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
01st Jul 2013
birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
30th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
01st Jul 2013

LeanderTX79 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 24-Jun-13 02:46 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

I really like the dewy Skipper stack.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 25-Jun-13 02:14 AM
4001 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 1

Simsbury, US

Thanks Bruce.

John

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 25-Jun-13 02:37 AM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

Lovely work John.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 26-Jun-13 01:12 AM
#4. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 3

Simsbury, US

Thanks Leigh.

John

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Thu 27-Jun-13 02:48 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 4

Birmingham, US

Good stuff, John!

When you shoot for stacking, do you move the camera or change the focus points?

Mike

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 28-Jun-13 09:52 AM
#6. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 5

Simsbury, US

Thanks Mike.

I've always used refocusing in shooting for stacks. I have a focusing rail and from time to time have thought about trying to use it to shoot stacks but never seem to get around to it.

John

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 07:25 PM
4676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nice images John. Seems to be a lot of hairstreaks around now.

Rick

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 01-Jul-13 04:04 PM
#9. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 7

Simsbury, US

Thanks Rick.

I see them in my yard from time to time but there were four of them fighting over the territory. Where have you been getting your damsels and dragons?

John

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Sun 30-Jun-13 04:11 AM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

These are both fantastic. My absolute favorite is the dew covered skipper. Something about a insect covered in dew is so fascinating and wonderful
Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 01-Jul-13 04:10 PM
#10. "RE: Banded Hairstreak and yet another skipper"
In response to Reply # 8

Simsbury, US

>These are both fantastic.

Thanks very much for the kind words Birdie.

My absolute favorite is the dew
>covered skipper. Something about a insect covered in dew is
>so fascinating and wonderful

I agree. It's fun to find them because they are very attractive and generally too chilled to move until they dry off.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51533 Previous topic | Next topic