Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51461
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another Skipper" Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 17-Jun-13 03:05 AM
3816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another Skipper"

Simsbury, US

I've got a lot of pictures of these European Skippers and this time of year I see dozens in this meadow. Another chilly morning with some dew and some nice early sun and this one was perched nicely on a yarrow blossom cluster. I couldn't pass it up.

I tried a stack but the little rascal moved its head up while I was shooting the frames for the stack so the blossoms came out OK but the Skipper was a mess. So I extracted the skipper from the best frame I had and perched him on the stack blossoms. I then tried a couple of different crops. The lighting on the stems is nice as is the bg so I think I like the crop that includes more of the plant. Which crop do you like better?

D800, 105f/2.8, 1/10s, f/8, ISO 100, tripod

Plant is 6 frame stack, Skipper is single frame

John

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another Skipper
Izzie Gold Member
17th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
lastdaylight Gold Member
20th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
21st Jun 2013
birdied Silver Member
21st Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
22nd Jun 2013

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Mon 17-Jun-13 11:32 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

I love the first one...

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Jun-13 08:57 PM
3816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 1

Simsbury, US

Thanks Izzie.

John

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Tue 18-Jun-13 02:06 AM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Amazing images
How do you execute your stacks?
Regards,
Gary

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 18-Jun-13 09:06 PM
#4. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 2

Simsbury, US

>Amazing images

Thanks Gary

>How do you execute your stacks?

Camera mounted on a tripod. I generally use Live View so I can focus accurately and see when the motion stops. With LV you're also shooting MUP. I refocus rather than using a rail.

When I get back to the computer, I generally make some global adjustments in the first image, then batch those to the other images in the stack and convert them all to jpeg. I use CombineZP to do the stacking. First I run the Align Images step then Do Stack. If that's OK I stop there. If there are too many artifacts I might try a Pyramid Stack.

I then go back into Capture NX2 for some final editing and if there are any artifacts that need to be cloned I use PSE 11.

John

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 19-Jun-13 06:47 AM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 4

South Australia, AU

Thank you for the heads-up John
Much appreciated
I may have to just give it a go one day,
Had to thought about using live view with MUP
My live view on my D700 looks terrible, that's why I haven't used it since my first try

I think I also have a skipper but not sure, a grab shot with my AW100
Regards,
Gary

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 19-Jun-13 03:15 PM
#6. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 19-Jun-13 03:17 PM by jtmcg

Simsbury, US

I never used a D700 but the D300 LV was also terrible, mainly because it was awkward to use and if I remember right, the mirror would drop down and go back up again which made no sense at all. I tried it once in the field and never used it again.

On the D800, LV is one touch activation and the mirror remains up until you click the shutter release, so you're basically shooting MUP when you shoot from LV. At the highest magnifications there is some noise in the display but I haven't found that to be a problem, though it could be better.

John

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 20-Jun-13 03:11 AM
#7. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 6

South Australia, AU

Thanks John,
Looks like another excuse to get a D800
Have to wait though,
More priorities at the moment, computer is dead, new iMac soon

I guess a StackShot is a whole lot cheaper than a D800 though! Another "maybe" on the wish list ,
Regards
Gary

lastdaylight Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 09th Dec 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 03:23 AM
817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

More outstanding work, John. Love your technique. I think I like the way #1 gives a bit more context.

Mark Smith
Just like I previsualized it, more or less...

My Nikonians Gallery

My Website, www.lastdaylight.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Fri 21-Jun-13 01:48 AM
#9. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 8

Simsbury, US

Thanks for looking and for the kind words Mark. I agree about #1.

John

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Fri 21-Jun-13 05:15 AM
628 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

Beautiful shots with lovely detail.

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sat 22-Jun-13 01:36 AM
#11. "RE: Another Skipper"
In response to Reply # 10

Simsbury, US

Thanks Birdie.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51461 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.