Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First Gallery Pics With 105mm f/2.8 VR

Auckland, NZ
335 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mycenius Registered since 25th Feb 2006
Wed 12-Jun-13 01:35 AM | edited Wed 12-Jun-13 01:36 AM by Mycenius

Hi All,

First post in this area of the forums...

I've had my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 for some time (several years) but never really got around to using it as much as I wanted, and then haven't used it for last 2-3 years. Recently signed up to a short little community college photography course just to get reinvigorated about photography (kind ago back to basics if you like and relearn/rediscover a few skills & techniques). Anyway part of that course had me mucking around in the back yard last weekend trying some creative shooting with my 105mm...

...and since another member commented favourably on one of my images I thought I'd be a bit cheeky and post it up here:

Click on image to view larger version

D90 | AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF with UV Filter | ISO 400 | f/5.6 | 1/125s

As Mick (mklass) commented in my gallery this would probably have been improved with increased DOF to make it sharper across the whole image?

I also quite liked the following photo of my lime tree - which is a bit more abstract but has I think a nice quality to it:

Click on image to view larger version

D90 | AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF with UV Filter | ISO 800 | f/6.3 | 1/400s

With this latter one my focus was getting the lime, and specifically the water droplets in focus, and trying to keep the rest of the lime tree slightly soft (i.e. not quite in focus). Perhaps it too may have benefited simply from my sharpness by using a higher aperture...?

Anyway - appreciate any comments, thoughts, advise... As these are in my yard I can easily revisit to have a second attempt!

Kiwi Nikonian
D90 | 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 | 105mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8