Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51400
View in linear mode

Subject: "First Gallery Pics With 105mm f/2.8 VR" Previous topic | Next topic
Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 01:35 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First Gallery Pics With 105mm f/2.8 VR"
Wed 12-Jun-13 01:36 AM by Mycenius

Auckland, NZ

Hi All,

First post in this area of the forums...

I've had my Nikon 105mm f/2.8 for some time (several years) but never really got around to using it as much as I wanted, and then haven't used it for last 2-3 years. Recently signed up to a short little community college photography course just to get reinvigorated about photography (kind ago back to basics if you like and relearn/rediscover a few skills & techniques). Anyway part of that course had me mucking around in the back yard last weekend trying some creative shooting with my 105mm...

...and since another member commented favourably on one of my images I thought I'd be a bit cheeky and post it up here:

D90 | AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF with UV Filter | ISO 400 | f/5.6 | 1/125s

As Mick (mklass) commented in my gallery this would probably have been improved with increased DOF to make it sharper across the whole image?

I also quite liked the following photo of my lime tree - which is a bit more abstract but has I think a nice quality to it:

D90 | AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF with UV Filter | ISO 800 | f/6.3 | 1/400s

With this latter one my focus was getting the lime, and specifically the water droplets in focus, and trying to keep the rest of the lime tree slightly soft (i.e. not quite in focus). Perhaps it too may have benefited simply from my sharpness by using a higher aperture...?

Anyway - appreciate any comments, thoughts, advise... As these are in my yard I can easily revisit to have a second attempt!

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D90 | 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 | 105mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 05:56 PM
5574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First Gallery Pics With 105mm f/2.8 VR"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

You nailed the DOF on the lime, John. Now where's the vodka and tonic? Consider using a polarizer to reduce the glare off the leaves. (I usually manage to forget this myself.)

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Mycenius Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Feb 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 07:52 PM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First Gallery Pics With 105mm f/2.8 VR"
In response to Reply # 1

Auckland, NZ

Cheers Mick - yes I'm always a bit wary of when and when not to use a Polariser... I always have a standard UV on mainly for protection (I can be a bit clumsy at times) - and tend to then just forget about it and my CP sits in it's case unused!

John
Kiwi Nikonian
D90 | 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 | 105mm f/2.8 | 50mm f/1.8

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51400 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.