nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51357
View in linear mode

Subject: "Turned away" Previous topic | Next topic
geno64 Silver Member  midlothian, US  Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012 Mon 10-Jun-13 02:13 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Turned away"

Well, here is a first for me. I'm in Fort Lauderdale running around shooting while my wife attends a conference. Went to the Everglades and their Botanic Gardens and got some good stuff. Then today, I was going to the Bonnet House, a mansion built in the 20's. According to their flyer, they are supposed to have some beautiful gardens that you can wander around in, and, according to the flyer, take pictures. When I went in to pay the entrance fee, I was told the fee was $250.00. The flyer said $10.00. Because I had my D800 hanging from my shoulder and I had a tripod, I must be a professional. I'm not. They're worried about me shooting and posting the shots on the Internet. I would have thought if I had anything good enough, it would almost be free advertising, that's if I had anything good enough to post. The reality is, if the grounds were that good, it might be worth it for a once in a lifetime thing, but when you have no idea what's behind the gates, who would take the chance and pay the fee? I was really bummed. I can't imagine coming back to Florida anytime soon, if at all. For the next few years I planning on heading west. I'll be heading back to Chicago in a few days, wondering if this is going to be the new trend for us.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Turned away hnease Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away glxman Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away AartPapaya Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away Izzie Gold Member
12th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away geno64 Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Turned away Mike Walters Silver Member
14th Jun 2013
     Reply message RE: Turned away four eighty sparky Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
          Reply message RE: Turned away blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
16th Jun 2013
Reply message Pretty soon if LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Pretty soon if geno64 Silver Member
17th Jun 2013

hnease Silver Member  Germantown, US  Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012 Mon 10-Jun-13 04:08 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

That's interesting, and I'm sure, VERY frustrating.

Our local botanic gardens also has a photography membership for $175, but it is only for professionals who are doing things like wedding shoots.

From their website :

The annual photography membership fee entitles you to:
Unlimited photography/video shoots. (Must be scheduled in advance, and within guidelines.)
Free admission for photographer/videographer.
Free admission for two (2) assistants.
Free admission for up to ten (10) individuals per shoot.

I have only a basic membership and have carried my tripod and large bag with no hassle.

Howard

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Mon 10-Jun-13 04:39 PM
3374 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

Adobe must have bought them out
Now only access by price gouging through the "cloud"
Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Tue 11-Jun-13 07:27 PM
3156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

This would be trying to make sense of the senseless.

Aart

Izzie Gold Member  Chesterfield, US  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011 Wed 12-Jun-13 12:08 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

If there will be a next time, maybe NEXT TIME, don't show your camera---just lag along your backpack or something not too "showy" for some stupids to think you are a professional photographer, even if you are.

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Wed 12-Jun-13 12:43 PM
26991 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

This isn't new. It's happened to me a couple of times. Once I was told that I was a "liar" when I said I wasn't a professional. (At the time I had sold a total of ONE photograph, for I think $25.) A large camera (D2h) and tripod were considered proof of being a professional. My business card, which carried the logo of a large and well known computer company was not considered evidence to the contrary.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

geno64 Silver Member  midlothian, US  Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012 Thu 13-Jun-13 02:41 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 0

It worries me a bit to see it's happening to other people, And I'm worried how far it will go. And yes, Adobe may have a hand in it. Or the IRS. As far as putting the camera in the backpack goes, I really hate lugging all that stuff around. I try to make things simple. One camera and lens and the tripod. I can shoot for a few hours and if I need something else, another lens, go back to the car and change it out or come back another time. I don't want this to be too much like work.

Mike Walters Silver Member  UK  Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2012 Fri 14-Jun-13 04:58 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 6

In the UK the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) gardens will charge extra for a tripod, but nothing like $250...I always take a monopod and that seems to be ok.

I get really p155ed off with these people who will ban DSLR's on the grounds that they are professional but let anyone with a smartphone or compact camera take what they want....

It is DSLRist

Mike

four eighty sparky Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011 Sat 15-Jun-13 03:41 PM
1642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 7

Many places open to the public specifically prohibit tripods due to the trip hazard.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Nikon FM2n, Nikon P7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 20/AF-D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28/2.8 AF-D, Sigma 28/2.8 Mini-Wide II, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Sun 16-Jun-13 03:12 PM
26991 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Turned away"
In response to Reply # 8

Sure, but that's understandable. And usually when I've seen that, it's pretty reasonable. Longwood Gardens in Philadelphia apparently has a policy of no tripods in the afternoon, when I guess the attendance is greater.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member  Macedonia, US  Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005 Mon 17-Jun-13 01:59 AM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "Pretty soon if"
In response to Reply # 0

you are carrying anything other than a camera phone you must be a professional. I mean, what non-professional in their right mind would be taking photos with anything but a high-quality camera phone?

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

geno64 Silver Member  midlothian, US  Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012 Mon 17-Jun-13 02:48 AM
#11. "RE: Pretty soon if"
In response to Reply # 10

I belong to the Botanic Garden in Chicago and anything goes. I did check the flyer for the Bonnet House and it said tripods were OK as long as they weren't blocking the pathways. The other day my wife said I should carry a point and shoot and if I run into issues, just use that, at least you'll get something. She has a point, I guess. It kills me that I spent all this money on my toys and now we're being restricted where we can use them. The City of Chicago stopped me from taking pictures in the loop area around the city buildings once. That frosted me then too, but I got over it. I retired 7 years ago and I've only been down there 3 or 4 times since then.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51357 Previous topic | Next topic