nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51317
View in linear mode

Subject: "Northern Paper Wasp" Previous topic | Next topic
jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 05-Jun-13 09:12 PM
4035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Northern Paper Wasp"

Went out early yesterday. There were a fair number of European Skippers and Little Wood Satyrs around but didn't get any good shots of them. I have several pictures of this wasp but I always find them interesting.

D800, 105f/2.8, 1/4s, f/9.5, ISO 100, tripod, LV

John

2. This is a crop of the first image (which is also cropped) and shows one of the reasons that I love the D800 with all those pixels.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Northern Paper Wasp WK Silver Member
10th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Northern Paper Wasp jtmcg Gold Member
11th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Northern Paper Wasp Izzie Gold Member
12th Jun 2013
12th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Northern Paper Wasp glxman Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
12th Jun 2013
Reply message RE: Northern Paper Wasp jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jun 2013
12th Jun 2013

WK Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 27th Apr 2004 Mon 10-Jun-13 10:46 PM
849 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Tue 11-Jun-13 12:57 AM
4035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Wasil.

John

Izzie Gold Member  Chesterfield, US  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011 Wed 12-Jun-13 12:01 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

The texture and the background went well together! What a shot! I am still thinking of the worthiness of the D800 on the pocket end though...

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 12-Jun-13 08:05 PM
#6. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 3

>The texture and the background went well together! What a
>shot!

Thanks Izzie.

>I am still thinking of the worthiness of the D800 on the
>pocket end though...

Well all I can say is I love it and to me it was worth the cost.

John

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Wed 12-Jun-13 01:42 PM
3398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Very sharp image and looks great at that f stop,
I guess your not going as small with the aperture you were using on the previous body?
Has diffraction been a problem?
....Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 12-Jun-13 08:11 PM
#7. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 4

>Very sharp image and looks great at that f stop,
>I guess your not going as small with the aperture you were
>using on the previous body?

Thanks Gary. I have tended to shoot macro from f/8 to f/11 with the D300 as well as the D800. I try to take extra care in lining up the body with the sensor plane to minimize the effect of limited DOF. That said I do wish I had shot a focus stacking sequence for this subject for the legs and wings.

>Has diffraction been a problem?

Not really because I don't shoot smaller apertures than f/11 very often.

John

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Milwaukee, US  Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009 Wed 12-Jun-13 03:46 PM
5203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

That is close and personal!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jtmcg Gold Member  Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Wed 12-Jun-13 08:12 PM
#8. "RE: Northern Paper Wasp"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks John. It was a chilly morning so he wasn't very mobile.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51317 Previous topic | Next topic