nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51286
View in linear mode

Subject: "Geranium buds - stacked" Previous topic | Next topic
hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 06:22 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Geranium buds - stacked"

Germantown, US

This is my first attempt at stacking. This is a salmon geranium budding out. Shot with d7000, nikkor 105 micro, gitzo tripod, manual focus adjustment, stack of 15 images using Helicon focus.

thanks

howard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Geranium buds - stacked
AartPapaya Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
hnease Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
11th Jun 2013
BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
11th Jun 2013
hnease Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
hnease Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
03rd Jun 2013
hnease Silver Member
03rd Jun 2013
TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
11th Jun 2013
hnease Silver Member
11th Jun 2013
TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
12th Jun 2013

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sun 02-Jun-13 09:04 PM
2883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Howard, I wish one of the boffins would reply to this. Something is bothering me, over-sharpening? I would also recommend a very thin white (light-colored)border to offset the black background. What f-stop did you use? Would you mind to post me one of the original pictures that made up the stack with no sharpening? This geranium must now be a pretty sight.

Aart

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 09:35 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 1

Germantown, US

I'd love any advice. It did seem to come out sharper/harsher when I exported it -- I think my LR may be set to sharpen some on export.
I like the idea of a border -- would you do that in LR or do you have another way to add border?

Here's one of the original files:

And here's the same subject with the natural background (the black background is a piece of black foamcore )

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Tue 11-Jun-13 01:28 PM
2662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Geranium buds - stacked"

Rolling Hills, US

Howard,

I use LR/Mogrify, a Tim Ames plug-in for LR, to create borders. Once you set up what you want, Mogrify applies the borders upon exporting the photo. Mogrify does many other things too. It is a shareware, but you can use it for free. If you make a small donation, you get a registration code.

http://photographers-toolbox.com/blog/2012/03/lightroom-4-and-our-plugins/

Hope this helps.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Tue 11-Jun-13 01:28 PM
2662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 2

Rolling Hills, US

Howard,

I use LR/Mogrify, a Tim Ames plug-in for LR, to create borders. Once you set up what you want, Mogrify applies the borders upon exporting the photo. Mogrify does many other things too. It is a shareware, but you can use it for free. If you make a small donation, you get a registration code.

http://photographers-toolbox.com/blog/2012/03/lightroom-4-and-our-plugins/

Hope this helps.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 01:51 PM
#9. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 7

Germantown, US

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out.

Howard

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 09:44 PM
#3. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 1

Germantown, US

Oh, and it was 1/125 sec, f / 6.3, ISO 400, late AM direct sun

howard

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 03-Jun-13 05:10 PM
2883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 3

Hectorspruit, ZA

Thank you very much for the info. In my opinion, and believe me I am a novice, many people are going overboard with stacking. In this particular case you could have had a perfect picture at f16, at most f22. The loss of sharpness, at f22 is minimal, except maybe for 3' enlargements. If you have a delay function or a cable-trigger and a tripod, there is no reason why you can not use a few second exposure if you need. For most cases stacking 2-5 pictures will suite the purpose.
In you case, I think in this case the number of photos to do your stack did not enhance your picture.
I am also using LR 3.6 and as far as I can gather LR does not offer a way to make borders. I am using an old Ps (CX3?) to make my borders.
For black backgrounds I got my self 2-meters matt-black material and at the same time a very reflecting brilliant white material

Aart

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Mon 03-Jun-13 06:25 PM
#5. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 4

Germantown, US

Aart, thanks for your input. You're probably right about the smaller aperture. When I first set up for the shot, I was not using the black background, and I wanted a larger aperture to limit my depth of field. Also, honestly, I just wanted to try stacking so I would know how to do it when I really needed to. One reason I did this many photos in the stack was that on an earlier attempt from a different angle I had some mid-field areas that were out of focus, so I wanted to see if I could get the sharp focus through the whole field.

Thanks again for your advice - I need all I can get!

Howard

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 11-Jun-13 01:30 AM
2528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

This stack looks fine to me Howard so well done. The light is a little harsh though and you probably need a diffuser panel if you are going to shoot natural light at that time of day.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Tue 11-Jun-13 01:50 PM
#8. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 6

Germantown, US

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, most of the time I've had for photography recently has been midday, so I do need to get a diffuser. Do you have any recommendations on a good one? I have a homemade adjustable arm with a clamp, so I should be able to use that to hold it.

Thanks,

howard

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Wed 12-Jun-13 12:26 AM
2528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Geranium buds - stacked"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 12-Jun-13 12:27 AM by TEITZY

WUNGHNU, AU

Hi Howard,
There shouldn't be much difference in quality between diffusers but you will probably want one that gives you 2-4 stops of diffusion and is small enough for your clamp to hold (maybe 18 inches in diameter). You might find a reflector is handy as well but you can just use a piece white foam board for that.

Of course your other option is just to shoot when it's overcast

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51286 Previous topic | Next topic