nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help on exposure - macro of flower

HaydnBMorris

Poole, UK
33 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
HaydnBMorris Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2013
Sun 19-May-13 05:12 PM

Hi we have a wonderful Magnolia Stellata in our garden which we transferred from a previous house and each spring it has wonderful buds and flowers - but try as I might I just cannot get the exposure correct to see all the definition in the petals.

This year armed with my new kit, which includes tripod and macro lens, and advice from magazines, I still cant get it right!

I have tried auto exposure, bracketing, large depth of field, small depth of field, long exposure, short exposure, manual and auto focus, manual exposure, with diffused light and reflected light, a range of ISO, and my latest was HDR, yet still the photo eludes me.

I have not tried flash but concerned that will just burn out what definition I have got.

Any suggestion gratefully received. My latest attempts attached (not the best flower - hence the brown spots as it begins to fade) but I just cant get it right - and always appears soft in focus

is it just depth of field? This is a camera HDR version and on the computer I have increased exposure by +1 with a slight sharpening

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help on exposure - macro of flower