Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51111
View in linear mode

Subject: "My very first focus stacking...Wow" Previous topic | Next topic
kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 20-May-13 04:21 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My very first focus stacking...Wow"
Mon 20-May-13 04:25 AM by kentak

US

It works! And it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

I understand exactly how the process works, but never felt the inspiration to give it a try.

Then I started to enter a few pics into the May flower contest and felt a little frustrated at having to use such small apertures to get more reasonable DOF. Not only did that present the obvious lighting challenges, but I knew some diffraction might be affecting the IQ.

I also admired the examples of stacked images I've seen throughout this forum.

So, I recently downloaded Helicon Focus with the 30 day trial. I set up a flower, put my D7000 with 60mm Micro on a tripod, and tethered via my CamRanger. Why? One of the features is the ability to do focus stacking. You put the camera in live view, tell the app how many exposures you want and the size of the increments (small, medium, or large) and let it go.

I chose 5 exposures at "small" increments. When I examined the last exposure, I decided to do one more increment, so six in the stack. I did a very quick edit in Aperture to one of the images and batched the adjustments to the rest.

I left Helicon on all the default settings because I literally know nothing about how to use it other than what the brief tutorial showed.

So, I'm pleased for a first--and only--attempt so far. I can see a few areas where the focus might be a little soft, but not bad in overall effect.

Wish I had tried this earlier.

f/5.6 @ 1/60. Two small photo fluorescents in "bowl" reflectors
First image

Last image

Stacked image

Kent

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow
JimKing
20th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
20th May 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
20th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
21st May 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
21st May 2013
kentak Silver Member
21st May 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
21st May 2013
kentak Silver Member
21st May 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
21st May 2013
glxman Silver Member
22nd May 2013
buddyro48 Silver Member
25th May 2013

JimKing Registered since 10th May 2013Mon 20-May-13 04:34 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

Salisbury, US

I'm with you on "Wow", Photoshop CS6 has this feature and I have a 105mm macro. I've thought I should try it but haven't yet. You've inspired me. I have everything I need and I'm retired. Great job, thanks for the post.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 20-May-13 04:52 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Go for it. Just keep everything stable and figure out a way to do the steps. I used the CamRanger feature, but I have yet to try it out on really critical subjects, like extreme closeups of objects much smaller than this flower.

We shall see.

Have fun!

Kent

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 20-May-13 08:43 AM
3547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Nice job Kent. Great first effort.

John

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 21-May-13 05:04 PM
#6. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks, John. I can see the potential of the technique.

Kent

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Tue 21-May-13 03:24 AM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

Buckeye, US

This is very good for a starter. Have tried stack focusing in the past and just acquired the CamRanger. Thanks for the inspiration to use that program for this feature.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 21-May-13 05:04 PM
#7. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks! I bet you're going to love your CamRanger.

Kent

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 21-May-13 04:05 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Excellent first attempt!

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 21-May-13 05:05 PM
#8. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks so much. I'll keep practicing.

Kent

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 21-May-13 06:56 PM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Wow Kent, that IS cool...I tried it on some drops from front to back and got a really nice photo....I'm going to try it on a quarter....You did a neat job,,,,,....

Darlene

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 22-May-13 01:27 AM
2940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Great achievement Kent,
before my laptop died I tried a few but did not have success
Outstanding image!
You have given me the motivation to have another go when I get my new computer,
Still iPad bound at the moment
Regards,
Gary

buddyro48 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2009Sat 25-May-13 02:13 AM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My very first focus stacking...Wow"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Maria, US

Very nice Kent, Great image...well done

Regards,
Michael

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51111 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.