Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51032
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just for fun" Previous topic | Next topic
kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-May-13 03:14 AM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just for fun"

US

Kent

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just for fun
kodiak photo Silver Member
15th May 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member
15th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th May 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member
15th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
15th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
15th May 2013
jrp Administrator
17th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
18th May 2013
birdied Silver Member
16th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
17th May 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
16th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
17th May 2013
thecad Gold Member
18th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
18th May 2013

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Wed 15-May-13 03:30 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hi Kent,

Young, I was repeated very often by the lovely granny living
next door: "One must take his pleasure seriously!"

I think you must have met her, since I see that your
"Just for fun" picture is serious photography in my book…

Congratulations! This is pure beautiful imagery!

Thanks for sharing,

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Wed 15-May-13 03:37 AM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 1

Chicago, US

I agree completely, though I've not met the granny next door!

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-May-13 03:44 AM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks so much. I hope you like the original as well, but my "just for fun" version is mostly due to me playing around with new software I recently got--OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7. I applied the colored Daguerrotype effect in the Perfect B&W module.

Cheers.

Kent

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-May-13 03:36 AM
#2. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Here's the "real" flower.
D7000 | Micro 85mm 3.5 VR | f/8 @ 1/5 | ISO 100

Kent

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Wed 15-May-13 03:39 AM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Wow, I have to say that after seeing it I prefer the original. Really fantastic DOF, and symmetry, and color. Really beautiful. Both are great.

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-May-13 03:57 AM
#8. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you Joshua!

Kent

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Wed 15-May-13 03:44 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 2

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Don't get me wrong!

I am very happy that you posted the "original" that is just plain beautiful…
I know this flower

But the first post shows it in an unexpected way and that is cooool!

Please, do me a favour:
Don't ask me which one is the best?
I would be very embarrassed!

Thank you for sharing both!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 15-May-13 03:56 AM
#7. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks again. Yes, I was struck by that particular effect after playing around with several others. I quite like it.

Here's another fun tidbit. I took that picture while a couple a rooms down from my "studio." I recently got that CamRanger gadget and have been having a blast shooting wirelessly tethered from my iPad and laptop. My studio is a spare second story bedroom, but with a floor that's just a little bouncy. Since this was a 1/5 sec exposure, I wanted to be sure the plant and tripod remained as steady as possible. So I composed the shot, retired down the hall with my laptop, and made numerous exposures from the computer--with virtual complete camera control. Each exposure pops up on the monitor and allows critical examination of exposure and focus for needed correction. I can even put it in live view and fine tune the focus as needed.

Kent

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 17-May-13 07:06 AM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The flower is beautiful.
The execution magnificent.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 18-May-13 02:46 AM
#15. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Thank you, JRP. So much beauty in even the simplest of nature's gifts.

Kent

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Thu 16-May-13 01:52 PM
613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

Wonderful ! Both versions are beautiful . Each offers something a bit different.

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 17-May-13 04:32 AM
#11. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thank you, Birdie.

Kent

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 16-May-13 02:05 PM
3722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Great capture Kent. I like them both but lean toward the original. Interesting effect on the daguerreotype though.

John

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 17-May-13 04:39 AM
#12. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks, John. I really think the "dag" effect image is amazingly beautiful. I say that taking no credit other than applying the canned effect and tweaking the strength a bit. Luckily, this flower made a good subject for that particular effect.

Kent

thecad Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2013Sat 18-May-13 12:29 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Grovetown, US

Beautiful photos. I like both of them, the colors in the second and also the way you did the first one you posted.

James Cadwell

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter. -- Harold Feinstein

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 18-May-13 02:48 AM
#16. "RE: Just for fun"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thanks, James.

Kent

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #51032 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.