Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50997
View in linear mode

Subject: "Depth of Field" Previous topic | Next topic
rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 07:29 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Depth of Field"

GB

Hi there, this is my first post, I'm a keen macro photographer and only recently read that distance to subject has a big impact also. I thought I'd check this out and did some tests on my Sigma 150mm lens, I plotted the results on excel (would attach if I knew how). It amazed me that going from 20cm to 40cm doubled the DOF for a given f stop, in fact more than doubled at higher f stops. Previously I have always tried to get as close as possible, this year I think I'll be keeping my distance from the bugs.
That's my question really, I've just upgraded from a D80 to a D600 and wondered is there an optimum subject distance to work at? I'd really appreciate your comments as I want to up my game this year. Many thanks in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Depth of Field
AartPapaya Silver Member
12th May 2013
rpoyner
12th May 2013
aolander Silver Member
12th May 2013
rpoyner
12th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
12th May 2013
rpoyner
12th May 2013
aolander Silver Member
12th May 2013
12th May 2013
rpoyner
13th May 2013
13th May 2013

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sun 12-May-13 07:49 PM
2155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 12-May-13 07:50 PM by AartPapaya

Hectorspruit, ZA

I am not an expert regarding this but I can assure you there is quite a bit of half-truths. I do not know if our lenses are better than earlier years, but with a few tests I did on a Sigma 50mm at different F-stops, I could not perceive any difference (at 1:1) in sharpness, except at F35 The Sigma lens also indicated F35 with red. In the "Critique, Artistic & ..."-forum I just posted a few pictures on the subject.

In my mind, it is not a bad idea to take the shots a bit further and crop. This is especially true if you are using live specimens .

Welcome

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:34 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi Aart, thanks for your reply, I'll be trying it out this summer, thanks again.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 12-May-13 07:54 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 12-May-13 08:03 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

"this year I think I'll be keeping my distance"

That's fine if you want less magnification (the bugs will be smaller in the frame), but if you plan on cropping to make the subject larger after shooting at a greater distance, you won't gain anything with DOF as DOF depends on enlargement, also.

So there is no optimum distance. The closer you get, the less DOF. Crop the image you get less DOF.

Alan

rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:39 PM
#5. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply, I have to be honest I'm confused, I thought by being further away and cropping more of the subject would be captured in the DOF range. You've given me some more to think about which is great so thanks again.

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:18 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hi Rob,

In my macro work, I only consider long focal lenses: from 105 and up. In fact, I have a 85 PC lens that does cool macro work too and a 200 macro lens.

I prefer to stay away from my subject,
• in studio, room should be left for the strobes and whatnot
• in the wild, I prefer to contemplate through a 200mm somethings like rattlesnakes and alike…
and it is sh…t when you've got a perfect shot on a bug but you are so close that you through your own shadow on it

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

In photography, light is free but catching it is not!

rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 08:46 PM
#6. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Thanks Kodiak, nothing quite as dangerous for me but the 150mm gives me more chance of catching butterflies etc without scaring them off, thanks for your reply.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 12-May-13 09:18 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 12-May-13 09:19 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

DOF is calculated for a certain "Circle of Confusion" which could be described as "Circle of Blur". Except for the exact plane of focus, everything in front of and behind that plane is slightly blurry. Your eyes, however, will see sharpness up to a certain point (DOF). If you enlarge/crop an image, that blurriness will be enlarged, too. Perhaps a too simplified of an explanation and perhaps someone else can get more technical.

Alan

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 12-May-13 09:22 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 7

Montréal, (Qc), CA

No Alen, you're just right and correct!

Short, simple, coherent, and correct…

I, personally, would not want more.

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

rpoyner Registered since 23rd Apr 2013Mon 13-May-13 08:25 AM
#9. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

Hi there, I used a scale at 45 degrees and when I cropped to compare the 20cm and 40cm subject distance photo's I could definately see and increased DOF, however I take your point ref perceived vs real DOF. Time to get out and try it on real subjects, I'm a sucker for as much detail of the insects as I can hence the question, whether perceived or real, if I'm happy with the photo I guess thats all that matters. Thanks again folks.

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Mon 13-May-13 08:29 AM
#10. "RE: Depth of Field"
In response to Reply # 9

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Most welcomed!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50997 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.