Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50940
View in linear mode

Subject: "Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp" Previous topic | Next topic
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Mon 06-May-13 03:13 AM
1962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"

Lexington, US

I came across a good deal on a pristine 60 AF-D Micro on ebay a few weeks ago. I've been enjoying playing around with it. I took this shot yesterday in my yard. While I was shooting these flowers this wasp showed up for a snack. C&C welcome and appreciated.

D7000, af-d 60mm micro, f/8, 1/800s, ISO 200

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp
kodiak photo Silver Member
06th May 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
07th May 2013
philipl Gold Member
06th May 2013
umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
07th May 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
08th May 2013

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Mon 06-May-13 03:29 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Montréal, (Qc), CA

I like the perspective, the proximity… cool!

But if I look at it a second time, I realize that the subject occupies roughly 1/3 of the whole
frame! There is a big chunk of white flower material that is pulling the eye away from the
main subject…

Would you consider cropping the left and the lower part of the frame? Your picture seems to
be sharp enough, and we would then appreciate the insect from quite closer…

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Tue 07-May-13 05:36 PM
1962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"
In response to Reply # 1

Lexington, US

Thank you, Daniel. My father always told me to follow my "first mind"-meaning my intuition. And my intuition told me that the out of focus flowers in the foreground needed to go. So yes, I will crop the offending blur out. I agree that the shot is sharp enough to handle it. I will post the "after" when I get a chance to do it. Thanks again.

Scottie

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Mon 06-May-13 11:15 AM
1742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

I am fairly sure it is a sweat bee (halictus sp.)

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs. Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011Tue 07-May-13 05:44 PM
#4. "RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"
In response to Reply # 2

Lexington, US

Philip, I googled sweat bee and found this fellow among the pictures provided. I wasn't aware that there was such a variety. The insects I remember being refered to as sweat bees where I grew up (Columbus, Mississippi) were much smaller. Thanks for the ID. By the way, I see that you're location is Oxford. I attended Ole Miss '90-'94. It's good to see a Mississippi Nikonian on the forums.

Scottie

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Wed 08-May-13 07:39 PM
2801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Unknown Flower/Unknown Wasp"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Scottie, I agree with the too much white. However, do not crop too tight, I like the white leading towards the bee (or what ever you want to call it). In my opinion, in most cases, f11 is the absolute minimum, prefer f16. If you are fairly steady, take a deep breath exhale slowly and squeeze the trigger gently you can get a way with a lot,1/125 is often fine. Doing most of my work in the bush, a tripod is very often out of the question.

Aart

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50940 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.