nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Starting into macro photography

Jamed600

Naperville, US
308 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Wed 17-Apr-13 05:23 PM

I am new to nikon and am getting interested in macro. Just got a D600 and have a 105 micro on order. I have read several articles here in macro photography but still have questions. My main interest starting out is flowers but I would like to progress to insects. In have a good Manfrotto tripod. My questions:

1. Sounds like anything smaller than flowers will require > the 105, would you all agree? At this point I don't want to buy a larger Micro.
2. I saw one post where a 105 was used in combination with a 1.4 TC and extension tube and the result looked great. Is this a practical combination? I have a 2.0 TC for use with my 70-200. Could that be used with the 105 and are there disadvantages with a TC?
3. It appears the only option with the D600 and G lenses is Kenko extension tubes (assuming you want auto focus and aperture control). However the reviews on the Kenko tubes is mixed. Is there a higher quality option (surprised that Nikon doesn't offer tubes appropriate for G lenses)?
4. Given the interests I have expressed is there a good book on macro that you all would recommend? I have bought a couple of Nikonians books on other subjects, and they are great but haven't seen on on macro.

Will appreciate your help/advice, Regards, Jim B

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Starting into macro photography