Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50793
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ferns emerging" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 09-Apr-13 11:47 AM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ferns emerging"

Atlanta, US

I've photographed a lot of tiny subjects recently. Here's are a couple from close to home. Both are with the Nikon D800E and Nikon 105 f/2.8 VR.

ISO 100
1/2 sec
f/18

1/15 sec
f/14
ISO 200

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ferns emerging
mkbee1 Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
glxman Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
jordivb Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
ericbowles Moderator
29th Apr 2013
jordivb Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
ericbowles Moderator
29th Apr 2013
azaelmeza
30th Apr 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
09th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
09th May 2013
massulo Gold Member
11th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th May 2013
cpopescu Silver Member
11th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th May 2013
JCY88
12th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
12th May 2013
Cavy2 Silver Member
12th May 2013
cpopescu Silver Member
12th May 2013

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 03:29 AM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

West Valley, US

OUTSTANDING!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 13-Apr-13 02:06 AM
2939 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Very sharp and great exposure Eric,
We have fens here that spawn each year,
Missed it last year, must try this year
Regards,
Gary

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 02:30 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Apr-13 02:31 PM by jordivb

Manresa, ES

Really Great!

Any issues with the moiré shooting macro with D800-E ?

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Apr-13 05:38 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

Jordi

I've been shooting the D800E for a year. I've only had a 2-3 images with moire - and it was very hard to see in near out of focus areas on finely patterned subjects. I've shot about 8000 bird photos and only seen moire a couple of times. I have never seen it in event photos but I suspect that is a risk area.

I have seen moire a couple of times as a result of downsizing images - and its relatively easy to fix.

I would consider moire a non-issue for photographs. But if you shoot video, moire poses a much greater problem if it occurs, so the D800 is probably a better choice.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 08:13 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 4

Manresa, ES

Eric, many thanks for sharing your experience.

Good to know that moiré is not such a big issue (I don't shoot video)

I dream of replacing my D300 for a full frame, and D800E would make an excellent candidate, although I'd need a financial miracle.....

Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 08:44 PM
2139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Eric your #1 is absolutely marvelous. #2 could also do with f18-22. Are these variants of the same spp.?

Aart

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Apr-13 09:11 PM
#7. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

The same plant - a week or so apart. I think its a Christmas Fern - polystichum acrostichoides.

You're right about DOF. I was really struggling with shutter speed on the second due to wind.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

azaelmeza Registered since 08th Apr 2013Tue 30-Apr-13 10:52 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

Lac du Flambeau, US

Very nice detail on both images. Like #1 composition, almost a literal rule of thirds!

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Thu 09-May-13 05:52 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Nice shots Eric. really like the first one.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 09-May-13 06:21 PM
#10. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

Thanks Azael and Marc. Much appreciated.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sat 11-May-13 12:37 AM
10506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Simply stunning

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 11-May-13 10:31 AM
#12. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 11

Atlanta, US

Thanks, Preston

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Sat 11-May-13 11:21 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 12

Paris, RO

Eric,

The first one is simply amazing!

Catalin

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 11-May-13 12:46 PM
#14. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 13

Atlanta, US

Thanks, Catalin.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

JCY88 Registered since 24th Aug 2012Sun 12-May-13 01:04 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Eric,

These are fantastic macros. It appears that 105mm macro lens on d800e body breaks the mist of diffraction at above f8.

Jim

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 12-May-13 01:19 PM
#16. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 15

Atlanta, US

Jim

I think my conclusion is that yes, there is diffraction at f/8 and beyond. But DOF is much more important to the image - especially until you get to very large prints. And downsizing for the web or prints under 20 inches effectively overcomes the diffraction or significantly reduces its impact.

Given the resolution of the D800E, you can see differences in lens quality in that for the first time the camera is highly resolving the image to the point where lens differences can be seen with the naked eye at 100%. The practical side of that is 100% is far beyond any normal print. But I can see differences across my lenses - or even with two different models of the 70-200. My earlier cameras such as the D200, D300, and D7000 do not provide that level of resolution but prints look just fine.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Sun 12-May-13 04:21 PM
4238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 16

Newtown, US

I used you beautiful shots as inspiration to go out and take a few of my own. I did a focus stack for mine. You did such a beautiful job with the DOF on yours, I'm not that talented without a stack.

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Sun 12-May-13 04:35 PM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Ferns emerging"
In response to Reply # 17

Paris, RO

Kathy,

Please post your recent pictures (inspired by Eric's ferns)

Catalin

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50793 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.