Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50752
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yellow berry" Previous topic | Next topic
AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 01-Apr-13 07:40 PM
1927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yellow berry"

Hectorspruit, ZA

For some or other reason I lately did not post on this forum. Looking at you shots I was reluctant to do so because you are doing some amazing photography. To all of you regulars, you are an inspiration.

I recently "upgraded" to a 105mm Nikon from my 50mm Sigma. I was warned, it is not an upgrade. 105mm Nikon is a great lens but much, much more difficult to handle. For field photography I prefer the 50mm Sigma.

Duranta repens from Brazil, I think. A declared weed in South Africa but still common in many gardens due to its hardiness.

D300 Iso 200 f22 0.6 105mm/2.8 Nikon

and

f22 1.3"

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yellow berry
jordivb Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
no1yak Gold Member
03rd Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
03rd Apr 2013
esandy Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
esandy Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
jordivb Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Apr 2013

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 01-Apr-13 08:56 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Outstanding lighting Aart!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your 105. I have an old version AFS D (no VR) and I find it great!

Keep posting!

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 02-Apr-13 09:12 AM
1927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 1

Hectorspruit, ZA

Thank you, I should just need to remember to provide a border to my image.

Aart

no1yak Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Wed 03-Apr-13 03:46 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 2

Essex, GB

Yes Aart a very nice shot, what lighting did you use?

Pete.

Essex England

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Wed 03-Apr-13 07:57 PM
"RE: Yellow berry"

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Pete, Thank you for the comments.
Natural light on an open veranda. The light was at about 100 angle from my camera to the setting sun (where the sun would have been if not shaded by the roof of my house). I suspended the branch with berries on black material to create the black background. Manual exposure settings.

Aart

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Wed 03-Apr-13 07:57 PM
#4. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 03-Apr-13 08:00 PM by AartPapaya

Hectorspruit, ZA

Sorry double posting

Aart

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Thu 04-Apr-13 04:21 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

Beautiful shots Aart, I especially like #2. Did you do any post on them or are they straight from the camera?

Ed

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Thu 04-Apr-13 06:52 PM
#6. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 5

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Ed, Thanks for the reply. Very little PP, with Lightroom 3.6. I under expose slightly because I often find yellows to be blown out. I would increase the brightness slightly and than just increase the black to make sure none of the black background show. With this treatment the yellow is very intense and almost orange I decrease the saturation slightly and the last step before a bit of sharpening I would fiddle with the green, yellow and orange to render the color as close possible to what I perceive the real color is. Sound more complicating than what it really is. But than to my annoyance I forgot a border. I always shoot RAW.

Aart

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Fri 05-Apr-13 10:16 AM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 6

Wichita Falls, US

Thanks Aart. You just gave me an idea for one of my next trials. When I shoot my wife's roses the reds are always blown out. I'll have to try and use some negative EV and see if I can control it.
I shoot RAW+Jpg, though this past weekend really showed me the benefits of RAW when I had some poorly exposed shots. Put them in ACR and tweaked, now they look better then the Jpgs.

Ed

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 05-Apr-13 05:53 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 7

Manresa, ES

I usually use the triple histogram screen on the D300 to watch for blown reds when shooting flowers. I guess it is also available with the D7000.
And bracketing too....

Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 05-Apr-13 08:05 PM
#9. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 7

Hectorspruit, ZA

I started of with occasional RAW and than both RAW and JPG and now with the new programs able to screen RAW directly, I do not even consider using anything else but RAW. I also learned my lesson with poorly exposed images I desperately wanted to recover.

Aart

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 06:11 PM
4135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Yellow berry"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice work, Aart!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50752 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.