Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50679
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help With Water Drops" Previous topic | Next topic
Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Thu 21-Mar-13 08:54 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help With Water Drops"
Thu 21-Mar-13 08:55 PM by Bug

Michigan, US

First I must add, that the sample photo's shown on this forum are so very Impressive and inspiring!!! Just to understand what you have done will keep me busy for a life time!!!

I知 trying to learn how to photograph water drops and need a little help with this project.

My first question is how do I get more color, deeper colors to light the water in the bowl and water drops.

I知 using a SB-800 flash off and to the side my D200 camera so I知 only lighting the background. It is my limited understanding that the trick is to light the background only and this will add color to the water in the bowl and water drops.

I知 using the Nikon 105 micro f2.8 lens and I do have the Kenko extension tubes on standby, but understand that they are not needed at this point.

The following two photos are #1 first attempt and #2 is how my flash, camera, background, and water bowl is set up. (my grandkids helped with the background)

As always you help is appreciated!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help With Water Drops
Stagecoach Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
Bug Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
Rob_ZN Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
Bug Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
Rob_ZN Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
mfphoto1
22nd Mar 2013
Bug Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
mfphoto1
23rd Mar 2013
Bug Gold Member
23rd Mar 2013
mfphoto1
24th Mar 2013
Bug Gold Member
29th Mar 2013
mfphoto1
30th Mar 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
31st Mar 2013
birdied Silver Member
30th Mar 2013
AUMike Silver Member
30th Mar 2013

Stagecoach Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2009Fri 22-Mar-13 07:21 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 0

Suva, FJ

Hi Don,

It's been quite a while since I had a go at these but did manage to get some good results.

As for colour I found this was very easily 'played with' in PP.

What I note mostly about your posted image is that the drop is not sharp and I found the secret to this was watch exactly where the drops fall then place a pencil in the liquid at exactly the same position and manually set your focus on it.

Looking at some of my reasonable previous attempts settings were f22, 1/250th, ISO200, manual exposure and focus.

There is a lot of further information on the web covering this subject with some spectacular examples.

Grahame

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 07:04 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 1

Michigan, US

Hi Grahame

Thanks for your reply!! You said that you found that it was very easily played with in "PP". I trust that you mean "post processing"?

Yes, my focus can be improved and I have read that manual focus using a pencil is the best method to capture sharp photos.

I will use your recommend settings on my next attempt.

I do have Photoshop CS6 and will try playing with the colors.

Thanks, Don

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Fri 22-Mar-13 10:23 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

The tip I have is to shoot these in dim ambient light. I think that the daylight in your shot may be overpowering the flash and the light reflecting off the water is daylight rather than the background you have.

Here's one I did:

(Click for larger)

I turned off the room lights, background was blue and I set the white balance to Tungsten. The blue card(background) was behind the dish and tilted slightly forward. Flash was fired into the blue background.

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 07:16 PM
#5. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 2

Michigan, US

Hi Rob_ZN

Ok show off!! (very nice!)

Your information is appreciated and Yes, I had the lights on in the room I was using.

I like your idea of playing with the WB. I will try the tungsten setting.

BTW, again very nice photo, I would be proud to have your photo in my album.

Don

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Fri 22-Mar-13 07:37 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 5

Durban, ZA

Thanks. I think lady luck played a big part in getting the shot.

Another thing to try is to bring the camera lower, so the bottom of the frame is in line with the top of the dish you're using. Gives a different effect/point of view.

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 22-Mar-13 01:19 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I use a black pan of water, a shoot thru umbrella or diffusion panel tape my colored gels to it with my flash, the umbrella is close enough to reflect on the water and is behind the pan of water. Once you know where your drops are going to fall put something in the water at that point to focus on then switch camera to manual focus. After that it's all just a matter of timing.

This one is a purple gel and the white of the umbrella.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 07:36 PM
#6. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 3

Michigan, US

Hi Monica

Very Very Nice Photo!!!

I'm not clear on umbrella postion and the flash gel. Are they two different sources of light? Is "shoot thru umbrella" like a soft light attachment?

I do have a small umbrella, but I would think that the gel on the flash would also be the same color in the light from the umbrella.

It is also my current understanding that the light source needs to be behind the water dish and all light is reflected from the background colors.

Is my understanding correctly?

Thanks Don

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 23-Mar-13 08:11 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 23-Mar-13 08:13 PM by mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US

Only one light source. Here is a quick lighting diagram. I just tape the gels to the front of the umbrella, that way I can add more than one gel in different places on the umbrella to get different colors in the water.

My Nikonians Gallery

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Sat 23-Mar-13 09:49 PM
#9. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 8

Michigan, US

Hi Monica
Thanks again!!!
I知 not understanding your lighting and because you photo is so striking, I want to following your recommendation!!

My umbrella is reflective only. The outside is black and the inside is silver like, so no light from my flash would pass through the umbrella 都kin. If my understand is correct your flash is shooting into the umbrella and the light is passing 鍍hrough your umbrella onto the water dish?

Also are you using 斗arge color gels taped to the inside of the umbrella skin? I have gels that will fit over my SB-800 flash.

My umbrella also may be too small, it opens to 30.

Your diagram is a very good tool for communication, but It looks like your umbrella is facing backwards to my thinking.

Your photo worked, so I want to try it you way, not my way!

One more time please.

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 24-Mar-13 03:26 AM
#10. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 9

Cincinnati, US

>Hi Monica
>Thanks again!!!
>I知 not understanding your lighting and because you photo is
>so striking, I want to following your recommendation!!
>
>My umbrella is reflective only. The outside is black and the
>inside is silver like, so no light from my flash would pass
>through the umbrella 都kin. If my understand is correct your
>flash is shooting into the umbrella and the light is passing
>鍍hrough your umbrella onto the water dish?

Yes, you need a translucent umbrella. Something like these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897246-REG/Westcott_q42012c_43_White_Umbrella_2_Pack.html./BI/4775/KBID/5289/ They are not expensive at all.
>
>Also are you using 斗arge color gels taped to the inside of
>the umbrella skin? I have gels that will fit over my SB-800
>flash.

The gels are taped to the outside of the umbrella. As far as large gels go you can buy larger ones specific for photography but you can get a lot more color choices, larger amount on the roll and cheaper price by buying colored cellophane from and arts and crafts store. Hobby Lobby sells rolls 30in by 25ft for $4.00 http://shop.hobbylobby.com/baking-and-party-supplies/gift-wrap-bags-and-accessories/cellophane/ to make the colors darker just keep stacking the sheets or you could buy the more expensize stuff from B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=colored+gels+sheets&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=>;

>My umbrella also may be too small, it opens to 30.

Not sure if that would be too small or not, I think it would depend on the size of your drop pan and how you decided to frame/crop the image.
>
>Your diagram is a very good tool for communication, but It
>looks like your umbrella is facing backwards to my thinking.

LOL..yeah..when I am setting up my umbrella sometimes I forget which one I am using and have to go back and change it. I don't have that problem to often anymore because this is my new go to. brollie http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/w-fslash-b%20brolly%20box.htm. I use it so much it's actually starting to fall apart.
>
>Your photo worked, so I want to try it you way, not my way!

When I shot these water drops I started out with plain water dropping into the pan, then I thought color so I went hunting for my gels that I hadn't used in almost 20 years. I played with that for awhile then I thought color the water, I ransacked my kitchen looking for the food dye that would have been at least 10 years old, couldn't find it. So at midnight I head out to krogers to buy one box of food coloring. I get back to the house and I play until around 3:30 in the morning. I've taken almost 500 photos. I set it all to download to my computer and head to bed, I dream about water droplets. When I get up I narrow down my shots to the top 182, I want to see my droplets in print, there is no way I am going to print 182 4x6 on a whim. So I narrow down to what I think are the best of the 182 remaining photo shots. LOL.. and 83 4x6's later my family stopped talking to me and I think they dreamed about water droplets that night.

Here are my stats for this one:
Equipment: D800 focus set to manual, Lens Nikon 28-105mm set to 105, SB-800 flash mounted to a brolly, Cactus v5 trigger, Colored gels, red food coloring.
Camera settings: ISO 400, 1/125, F11

There is a women on this forum who uses a drop machine to release her water drops and she gets some incredible images. Her basic lighting setup is a little different than mine. I have also seen people using two lights.

My Nikonians Gallery

Bug Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2007Fri 29-Mar-13 03:25 AM
#11. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 10

Michigan, US

Hi Monica

Monica ,Thank You!!!

You have been so very kind and generous with your process!

I know what you mean about dreaming this stuff. I spent this past weekend consumed with studying all the links that have been shared, plus I ordered a translucence umbrella and a few other items to play around with.

I hope to have some free time this week end to better constraint on what I知 doing.

Yes, I view some of the links that sell $$$ equipment to catch insects, animals movement at night, lots of toys.
I致e been using my camera on the manual mode for some time and now it time to master my flash units.

Thank you again for being so helpful.
Don

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 30-Mar-13 12:28 AM
#12. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 11

Cincinnati, US

You're welcome. That's what this site is all about, people helping out where they can.

There are other people on here using much more sophisticated setups then I am, one of them will probably chime in soon.

My Nikonians Gallery

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sun 31-Mar-13 08:27 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 10

Buckeye, US

Your story cracked me up!! Love reading what other photographers are doing, but this one made me chuckle out loud. Best lesson is to not take ourselves too seriously.

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009Sat 30-Mar-13 07:35 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 0

Destrehan, US

I have not done these in some time, but my setup is very simple. See below picture - plastic bag hung from kitchen cabinet.

I use off camera SB900 aim at the background. I do not shoot in the dark.

Take a tooth pick and hold where the drops are falling. Use manual focus and focus on the toothpick.

I use my 60mm macro lens , manual focus.

You can place a flower in the dish and pick up the reflection.
You can use food coloring in the water.
Different backgrounds also can be used.

It is a lot of fun and you are only limited by your imagination.

Birdie

Choices Matter

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Sat 30-Mar-13 11:22 PM
1118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Help With Water Drops"
In response to Reply # 13

Birmingham, US

Good stuff, Roberta.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50679 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.