nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50667
View in linear mode

Subject: "FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Mon 18-Mar-13 02:59 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"

Has anyone had experience with the Fotodiox bellows for Nikon?

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon jhearl Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon VR8 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon jhearl Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
               Reply message RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon mhc
21st Mar 2013
21st Mar 2013

jhearl Silver Member  Milford, VA, US  Nikonian since 16th Apr 2007 Tue 19-Mar-13 01:22 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Although I have no experience with this specific brand, it looks very much like some Chinese-made bellows I bought a couple years ago on Ebay. You didn't state a specific question, so I'm not sure how to reply other than to say it's an inexpensive way to get into shooting with a bellows and for me, it was all I needed. You should be aware that you will want a lens with an aperture ring. I use an older 55mm macro with mine. There's no electronic communication through the bellows. Because you're working with such shallow DOF, you'll likely find you need a focusing rail as well - it's very difficult to achieve perfect focus by moving the whole tripod. When I bought my bellows, I got it in combination with a rail. Both for around $100. This is not something I use much at all, so that was the right price range for me. You can, of course, spend many hundreds more on a Really Right Stuff rail if you're so inclined.

Cheers -
John

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Tue 19-Mar-13 01:37 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, sorry for being cryptic. I have a Kirk rail, works well with my old 105mm d lens. I have a 50 1.8 d lens a well. While the best bellows is probably the Pb-4 the cost is 10x as much.

Right now I am using Kenko tubes that give me 68mm approx of extension.

I also understand that the magnification would be best with a shorter, e.g. 20mm) lens. So there is lots to think about the more I investigate.

Does the Chinese made version have a name brand? Does it have the ability to move at both ends or just one? Do you have its length. The fotodiox only moves at one end and seems to be about 40-50mm shorter than the Pb-4.

Thanks

Victor

jhearl Silver Member  Milford, VA, US  Nikonian since 16th Apr 2007 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:03 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

Do a search on Ebay for "bellows nikon mount" and you'll see half a dozen of them that all look alike. Mine doesn't seem to have a name anywhere on it. From the way they look, I'd say they're identical to the FotoDiox bellows. I've ordered several things from China and never had any problems. Takes about 10 days.

Only the front of the bellows moves. By my fairly rough measurements, when the bellows are closed, the distance from the back side of the rear camera mount to the front side of the front lens mount is about 35mm. When open as far as it will go, the distance is about 143mm. There is a scale on one rail. It starts at 18mm (when the bellows are closed) and reads 125mm when the bellows are fully open.

I can't say one way or the other about using a shorter lens. Like I say, I used a 55mm macro and that worked for me.

Remember that you get what you pay for in quality. If this is something you plan to use a lot for professional purposes, maybe the cheap option isn't the way to go. But if it's just for fun, then I think it's entirely adequate to play around with.

Cheers -
John

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:12 PM
#4. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks its all fun, but one does like it to work
Info much appreciated.

Victor

mhc   Manchester, UK  Registered since 30th Oct 2005 Thu 21-Mar-13 07:03 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 4

The Chinese ones I saw had a poor reputation for stability.

I bought a Russian version for ~£30 from that auction site. Could have got it cheaper but I was impatient and went for a "Buy It Now"

Both front and rear elements move, which is a recommended feature. Mine is threaded for M42, but M42 - Nikon adapter rings are very cheap.

I'm very happy with it.

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Thu 21-Mar-13 07:12 PM
#6. "RE: FotoDiox Bellows for Nikon"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Victor

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50667 Previous topic | Next topic