Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50633
View in linear mode

Subject: "Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount" Previous topic | Next topic
dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 04:45 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"

Minneapolis, US

Hello Nikonians!

I'm looking for some thrifty solutions to break into macro photography and I thought I'd bounce some ideas at the experts here first.

I see 4 options here, 3 really though the last is intriguing.

1. Extension tubes. I saw these macro extension tubes (Item #14235043 at overstock.com) and thought this might be a good place to start with a very small investment. I'm sure there are better products and I'm all ears at this point. Can extension tubes give a decent glimpse into macro? (Just for reference, I currently have a d7000 with Nikon 35mm & 50mm prime f/1.8)

2. Buy a new/used macro or rent one. This is the obvious path but I'm still searching out other areas of photography and don't want to invest too much money into one area before I'm sure it's for me. That Nikon 105mm micro f/2.8G looks truly amazing. Rental may be the way to go.

3. Find someone locally here in the Twin Cites (Mpls/St. Paul MN) who would be will to show me the ropes, but I don't really know of any. I did join the Twin City Photography group so I might eventually run into someone.

4. DIY reverse mount. I found this article and it looks a bit dangerous but the sample pics are amazing. http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/a-poor-mans-guide-to-budget-macro-photography/

Thank you for any input,
David P. Randall

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount
aolander Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
dprworld
12th Mar 2013
ron917 Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
dprworld
14th Mar 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
dprworld
15th Mar 2013
dprworld
15th Mar 2013
dprworld
12th Mar 2013
AUMike Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
dprworld
15th Mar 2013
Snapshott Silver Member
28th Mar 2013
Gimbal Gold Member
29th Mar 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 12-Mar-13 05:22 PM
3239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 12-Mar-13 05:30 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The trouble with the cheap tubes and the DIY reverse mount (or any reverse mount for that matter) is that you lose metering (and AF, but that's not an issue with macro). A set of Kenko tubes is about $150 and they allow metering (and AF). Nikon tubes are strickly manual, but with a D7000 you can still meter with them. A Nikon PK-13 will get you down to almost 1:1 with the 50mm lens and more with the 35mm. I've seen the PK-13 for about $50 on ebay lately. The working distance (distance from the lens to the subject) will be close, but for more static subjects that's not a problem.

The "G" lenses you have will not work reversed as the aperture will stop down to the smallest f/stop and stay there (unless you want to shoot everything at f/22).

I live in Minnesota but I'm 200 miles north of you.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 06:09 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 1

Minneapolis, US

Thanks Alan.

I'll look into the Nikon PK-13 and Kenko. I've got a Lensbaby so metering and focus are not deal breakers. My DIY tilt lens experiments with the 50mm were very brief due to the "G".

I had seen this review before on Kenko and need to watch it again.
http://www.thatnikonguy.com/tutorials/item/10-extension-tubes-vs-macro-lens

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 10:49 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 2

Andover, NJ, US

Hi David,

You can solve the reversed "G" lens aperture control problem with a piece of blue tack or tape on the lever. Not my idea, I saw it in this video:
http://www.photographycourses.biz/macro_reversing_ring.html

Aperture control is important on a macro lens, auto focus is not so important. You can save a bunch of money buying a used AF or AF-D screw drive lens with a proper aperture control ring. Or save even more money buying a used manual focus lens.

Best regards,
-Ron

Best regards,
-Ron

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Thu 14-Mar-13 12:01 AM
#5. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 4

Minneapolis, US

Thanks Ron. Great video on reverse mount!

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 14-Mar-13 12:50 PM
1478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 4

US

You can also purchase a BR-6.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Fri 15-Mar-13 03:41 AM
#9. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 6

Minneapolis, US

BR-6 looks like a good alternative to masking tape.

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Fri 15-Mar-13 03:41 AM
#10. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 6

Minneapolis, US

BR-6 looks like a good alternative to masking tape.

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Tue 12-Mar-13 06:56 PM
#3. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 0

Minneapolis, US

Also, low cost bellows!

I found this Darrell Young article which was helpful. I was just listening to him on a Nikonian podcast on the way into work today.

http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=taking-close-up-pictures-on-a-budget

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Fri 15-Mar-13 01:16 AM
1149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 3

Birmingham, US

I see that you have a Lensbaby. So do I. Consider the Macro kit:

http://lensbaby.com/accessories-macroconverters

Hope this helps.

Mike

dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013Fri 15-Mar-13 03:32 AM
#8. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 7

Minneapolis, US

I didn't know know they had one and reasonably priced too.

Thanks.

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Thu 28-Mar-13 12:45 PM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You can also try picking up the inexpensive Consina made 100mm f3.5 macro lens. Very cheap build quality with very sharp performance. It is no longer in production but can be picked up on ebay for less than $150.00.

It is sold under the names Cosina, Vivitar, Promaster, Phoenix and Tokina. Is available in AF and MF versions. It focus down to 1:2 on its own and 1:1 with the included diopter. There is a review of this lens on the Nikonian's site under 3rd party lens reviews.

Gimbal Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2011Fri 29-Mar-13 12:52 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Just picked up on this thread. I recommend Craft&Vision's e-book Up Close — A Guide to Macro & Close Up Photography by Andrew S. Gibson. It costs US$5.00 and explains everything!

Gimbal

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50633 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.