nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount

dprworld

Minneapolis, US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dprworld Registered since 28th Feb 2013
Tue 12-Mar-13 04:45 PM

Hello Nikonians!

I'm looking for some thrifty solutions to break into macro photography and I thought I'd bounce some ideas at the experts here first.

I see 4 options here, 3 really though the last is intriguing.

1. Extension tubes. I saw these macro extension tubes (Item #14235043 at overstock.com) and thought this might be a good place to start with a very small investment. I'm sure there are better products and I'm all ears at this point. Can extension tubes give a decent glimpse into macro? (Just for reference, I currently have a d7000 with Nikon 35mm & 50mm prime f/1.8)

2. Buy a new/used macro or rent one. This is the obvious path but I'm still searching out other areas of photography and don't want to invest too much money into one area before I'm sure it's for me. That Nikon 105mm micro f/2.8G looks truly amazing. Rental may be the way to go.

3. Find someone locally here in the Twin Cites (Mpls/St. Paul MN) who would be will to show me the ropes, but I don't really know of any. I did join the Twin City Photography group so I might eventually run into someone.

4. DIY reverse mount. I found this article and it looks a bit dangerous but the sample pics are amazing. http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/a-poor-mans-guide-to-budget-macro-photography/

Thank you for any input,
David P. Randall

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount aolander Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount dprworld
12th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount ron917 Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
14th Mar 2013
          Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount four eighty sparky Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
15th Mar 2013
15th Mar 2013
12th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount AUMike Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
15th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount Snapshott Silver Member
28th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Macro extension tubes and diy reverse mount Gimbal Gold Member
29th Mar 2013

G