Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50586
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'm watching you..." Previous topic | Next topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 10:29 PM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I'm watching you..."

Tallahassee, Florida, US

D300 with 85mm f3.5 DX micro.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums. Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007Tue 05-Mar-13 02:20 AM
2514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'm watching you..."
In response to Reply # 0

WUNGHNU, AU

Looks a little soft to me. Exif says f4, 1/1000, ISO200, so I would stop down a little (f5.6-8) and bump up the ISO if you need to keep the shutter above 1/500.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 12:26 AM
2721 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'm watching you..."
In response to Reply # 1

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Thanks for the comment, Leigh. I agree it looks soft, probably because it is a more than 100% crop. Also, I agree f8 would have been a better choice here. I liked the composition because you see the eye but can't tell much about the face it belongs to. Here's another one -- same photo, but not cropped as much.

The image quality is better, but I don't like the composition as much. To see how much I cropped, here's the original, uncropped.

Hmm... maybe I need a D800 so I can crop more.

Randy

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 01:37 AM
3229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I'm watching you..."
In response to Reply # 2

Washington, US

hmmm, I like the last image you posted the best. the lower left guides the eye of the viewer to the subject. The subject has interest, personality, and character. It also has a sense of place; he's in in environment. I quickly passed on the first image; this image held my attention.

Macro is not just about getting as close as possible; it's more about exploring a world we have not noticed.

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 05:32 PM
#4. "RE: I'm watching you..."
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Thanks for the comment, Bob. As I noted, the last image is uncropped. I found the eye so interesting, but maybe that crop does lose context, and as Leigh noted, it also compromises the quality of the image.

Randy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50586 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.