Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50571
View in linear mode

Subject: "Close up" Previous topic | Next topic
no1yak Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Fri 01-Mar-13 03:35 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Close up"
Fri 01-Mar-13 04:26 PM by no1yak

Essex, GB

First attempt at close up with the Nikon R1C1 speedlight, comments welcomed. Shot with D4 105mm Micro at f51. Original model size is 2.5 inches. Shot RAW with some sharpening. Used three SB-R200's, One Left and right of subject and one from above.

Pete.

Essex England

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Close up
no1yak Gold Member
01st Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
no1yak Gold Member
02nd Apr 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
02nd Apr 2013
HBB Moderator
03rd Apr 2013
no1yak Gold Member
03rd Apr 2013
jordivb Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Apr 2013

no1yak Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 01-Apr-13 04:14 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 0

Essex, GB

Well It seems that no one wants to pass any comments on my post of March 1st( Close up).I might be new to the forum but some feed back would be appreciated. If you don't like the photo then say so and please tell me where I went wrong.I thought Nikonians was global
not just for those who live in the US.Rather disappointed with Micro & Macro forum.

Pete.

Essex England

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 01-Apr-13 07:43 PM
1927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 1

Hectorspruit, ZA

Sorry but I can not find any picture to reply to.

Aart

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 01-Apr-13 08:10 PM
1927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Ok. Now I have your picture. Our web is not always perfect. A cute model. Your illumination is good. At f51 your DOF (depth of field) will be very good, but to the detriment of sharpness. I would restrict myself to f22. At the moment I am trying to get stacking right.

From a personal point of view your subject is not inspiring. It is like taking a picture of a painting or a statue, the original is better. There are exceptions but leave it at that.

Lastly nobody is under any obligation to comment. For example I can not remember that you commented on any of my pictures.

Aart

no1yak Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Tue 02-Apr-13 10:12 AM
#4. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 3

Essex, GB

>Ok. Now I have your picture. Our web is not always perfect. A
>cute model. Your illumination is good. At f51 your DOF (depth
>of field) will be very good, but to the detriment of
>sharpness. I would restrict myself to f22. At the moment I am
>trying to get stacking right.
>
>From a personal point of view your subject is not inspiring.
>It is like taking a picture of a painting or a statue, the
>original is better. There are exceptions but leave it at
>that.
>
>Lastly nobody is under any obligation to comment. For example
>I can not remember that you commented on any of my pictures.
>
Thanks Aart for your reply, Sorry for not commenting on your work but when I posted I had no idea that you existed. Having taken a look at your gallery you do have some very nice shots, I like the close up of the one you call "Techni color fly".

This was my first attempt with the Nikon R1-C1 lighting system and yes the subject is boring but I didn't have much else at the time. The use of f51 was to get as much DoF as possible and yes de-fraction does rear it ugly head. Once the weather improves I'll be using live subjects.

Pete.

Essex England

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 02-Apr-13 07:11 PM
#5. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 4

Hectorspruit, ZA

I am not a top notch photographer, and there is no reason what so ever to know me. The point is people will react on what interest them, you will further more notice that it is very small minority that will post or react on posts.
There is no home or place that does not have something interesting. A hairbrush, a pen, pieces of thread, using light in unusual ways and you will find interesting objects. Very often it is not the object but the way it is presented. An example your little model with back lighting the subject and using the reflected glass you may be surprised in what you get. Accolades will come your way sooner or later. In the mean time enjoy it do not force it. I hope to see you often posting and comment on what YOU think is commendable. Enjoy and become one of a very big family.

Aart

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 03-Apr-13 12:33 AM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Pete:

A belated welcome to Nikonians. We appreciate your support, and hope your time with us is rewarding.

Aart is right, sometimes it takes a while for comments to emerge. I have been a moderator on this site for years, and still do not understand the response dynamics.

My apologies for the late response, I am not a serious micro/macro photographer, and don't drop in here that often.

I have the R1C1 kit with four of the SB-R200 units and the SU800. It is a marvelous tool for closeup photography.

First, a question: You indicated you shot this at F/51 with a 105 mm micro. My 105 mm F/2.8 micro only goes to F/36 ... ?

Your choice of models is a good one. They sit quietly, patiently and do not require rest breaks or feeding.

You handled the black background very nicely. What was the background material, and how did you handle the transition from it to the black material under the model?

The white balance looks good. Which camera WB did you use: Auto, Flash ... ?

Your lighting is uniform, with no hot spots, or dark shadow areas. The subject is nicely separated from the background.

For future images, consider varying your lighting to produce some highlight/shadow areas to provide some three dimensional depth. In photography we are attempting to capture a three dimensional image in a two dimensional plane. We can create the perception of three dimensional depth with carefully illuminated highlight and shadow contrast.

It would have been nice if both cat eyes had a catch light. Perhaps minor repositioning of one of the SB-R200 units could accomplish this.

You are off to a great start!

I echo Aart's invitation to keep shooting and post your images here for discussion. Aart posts some truly stunning images and is always willing to comment on other members work.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

no1yak Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Wed 03-Apr-13 06:47 AM
#7. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 6

Essex, GB

Thanks for your reply HBB,
Yes you are correct, I checked the metadata and it was f3.2 @ 60th.White balance was auto,I also tweaked the back ground in CS6.The model was on a black hard case with a black back ground some 3 feet behind the model. The room was darkened so no ambient light(very little).
Thanks once again for all your responses.

Pete.

Essex England

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 05-Apr-13 06:14 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Apr-13 06:20 PM by jordivb

Manresa, ES

I would agree that ligthing is a bit too flat, with little shadows or highlights.
This uniformity is pleasant for some subjects, but for inanimated products I tend to use flash more "agressively" with rear or very sided light. I don't know if is possible with theR 200 units. I use SB800 and SB28 remotely triggered by cable and manual adjusting. In other occasions I use LEDs, even individual LED bulbs.
I really enjoy experimenting, although sometimes results are discouraging.

Your model is fine to experiment with. Maybe not very interesting though. But I believe you can find lots of domestic items that become interesting if you manage to find nice composition and lighting. Many people found nice my gear-wheel pictures, or a flipping coin, go figure!

Regarding forum response, I agree with Hal that dynamics is unpredictable, but if you keep reading and posting I'm sure you'll find guidance and learn a lot. In my case, at least I learn English .

Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 08-Apr-13 06:24 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Close up"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 08-Apr-13 06:33 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

I think the comments are quite nice that have been made to give you some idea to enhance further your image. It looks great to me, but agree about the catch light in the eyes most of all. Regarding dynamics of each of the forums...it is always catch as catch can. Many of us do not know what drives responses. Would offer one thought as an alternative to consider, there is pretty good activity for critiques at a "Picture I Took" forum or the "Critique, Artistic, & Technical Advice" Forum.

I still find that when I post other places, it tends to be (I think) those that know one another the most who respond and offer critiques or related comments. Unique images and ones that particularly interesting will get more response then others. There are so many posts that it is hard for many to get to all the ones they have subscribed to. All of us are so busy sometimes. Even some speciality areas like "Black and White/Film & Digital" Forum don't get the response like the aforementioned two forums that I suggest. Sometimes, you just have to be patient. Eventually, there will be response, usually. I know what you speak about. However, I think it is the greatest place to learn and over time you will find more and response to your efforts.

Good luck.

John

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50571 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.