Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50464
View in linear mode

Subject: "Calla Lilies" Previous topic | Next topic
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 02:36 PM
4539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Calla Lilies"

Milwaukee, US

Well among other photographic endeavors what better thing to do during a blizzard in Milwaukee then to set up the card table, pull out the light tent, a couple of flashes on remote and photograph some flowers! Here are couple that I like from yesterday's efforts:

Taken with Nikon D7000, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, 1/60s, f/36, ISO 400, -1.3 EV, Aperture Priority, Flash WB, SB910 and SB700 flash on each side of the light tent. Some adjustment in Lightroom 4.3. Comments are welcomed.

Same info as for the prior image with some repositioning of the flashes for the new composition. Comments are welcomed.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Calla Lilies
mkbee1 Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Feb 2013
rb4good Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Feb 2013
cogrady Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Feb 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Feb 2013
elcee Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
12th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
13th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
13th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
13th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
14th Feb 2013

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 08-Feb-13 03:51 PM
634 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Feb-13 03:53 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Ooo,NICE!
Milwaukee, huh? I hear they have to pipe sunlight there in the winter.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 04:33 PM
4539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 08-Feb-13 04:34 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Thanks for commenting. Regarding Milwaukee and its sunshine in winter: sometimes!

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 08:19 PM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Very nice,John. #2 really appeals to me. I'm taking a break from doing the same thing right now. Nemo is bearing down on us here in Ct.

Rick

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 08:56 PM
#4. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 3

Milwaukee, US

Thank you for looking and commenting. Good luck regarding the storm.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 01:20 AM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Lovely John. Quite a nice way to keep busy during inclement weather. First one is my favorite. Nice balance, good light. Very pleasing.

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 01:26 AM
#6. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 5

Milwaukee, US

Thank you. Do glad you like them.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 12-Feb-13 12:50 PM
2259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 6

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi John,
Calla Lilies Zantedeschia spp. grow wild in our part of the world. I also prefer #1. My main reason is that one can not see the vase. The DOF is amazing. In my opinion the effect of diffraction with a small aperture (<f22) is minor compare to the loss in DOF with a bigger aperture. You managed the color very well.

Aart

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 01:17 PM
#8. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 7

Milwaukee, US

Aart, thanks for looking and your comments. I understand your liking #1. In all the places I have shared the two images, it appears that it is "neck to neck" regarding preference. Some like the little bit of observable vase. It is all a matter of taste. So I am glad I attempted each version.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Tue 12-Feb-13 04:37 PM
6241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 8

Albuquerque, US

Reminiscent of Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings. Nice, John.

~LarryC (eLCee)

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 04:41 PM
#10. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 9

Milwaukee, US

Larry, you are too kind. Thank you, though. It is nice to know that my efforts resonant a little with others.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 13-Feb-13 10:27 PM
8464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

John:

A really nice pair of images!

Color, composition, exposure, lighting, background ... all excellent.

Great way to spend a cold, snowy afternoon.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 10:40 PM
#12. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 11

Milwaukee, US

Hal,

Thank you very much. Coming from you that is much appreciated, since I continue to study and pay attention to your studies, writings and comments in how using flash for light source. By the way, I still am putting together ideas for my article and talk on WB at our local camera club. I may be running some things past you as well as reading again all you postings on the that challenging topic between now and July as I prepare.

Best Regards,

John

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 13-Feb-13 11:37 PM
8464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 12

Phoenix, US

John:

Thank you for your kind words. I continue to watch with interest your progress as you explore the many facets of digital photography.

I have said many times in the Nikonian forums that illumination is the sine qua non of photography. Without illumination, there can be no photography. Not everybody agrees with this philosophy.

You have obviously progressed beyond the point where shutter speed, ISO, and aperture are the only components of exposure, and you recognize that illumination also plays a major role. In my view, this is a giant step in the direction of a deeper understanding. You have also taken the next logical step in that direction: awareness of the color temperature of the illuminants and their contribution to the final image quality. You will have a distinct advantage over those who have chosen not to explore this challenging realm.

I will gladly review and comment on material for your white balance article and presentation. Let me know how I can help.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 12:59 PM
#14. "RE: Calla Lilies"
In response to Reply # 13

Milwaukee, US

Thank you, further and yes, I will run some of my WB ideas for my article and talk by you.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50464 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.