Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50420
View in linear mode

Subject: "105 VR + tubes + 6T feedback needed" Previous topic | Next topic
franco1968 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 03:37 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"105 VR + tubes + 6T feedback needed"

N.D.I.P., CA

Very new to macro/micro photography world. Really enjoying it during the winter months!

Wanted some feedback on using 105 VR + 68mm tubes + 6T filter.

Been playing around with the Kenko DG tubes and really like the results. I am getting ~1.9 reproduction ratio with 68mm extension at closest working distance. I am now looking for a way to get to reproduction of 2.5 and am thinking that adding a 6T filter to the extension tubes might do the trick according to Tony Jeffree's spreadsheet.

Wanted some feedback on the quality of results with 68mm tubes + 6T combination on 105 VR from anyone that has experimented with this combo before I go ahead an purchase the 6T filter.

Haven't seen any spreadsheet that can quantify the quality of results with different tools (i.e. diopters, tubes, etc). I guess this is too complex to work out using simple a spreadsheets and must be measured depending on the use case using test equipment.

Thanks,
Franco

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sun 03-Feb-13 04:42 PM
9442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: 105 VR + tubes + 6T feedback needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

While I'm not sure it's been officially discontinued, it's been a few years since Nikon 6T close-up lenses were available new. In the used market, they typically sell for well over $100. A reasonable alternative is the Marumi 330 DHG, but the price on those seems to be creeping up as well ($70 at eBey, $74 on amazon).

Using both the 6T and 68mm of extension, you should be able to acheive about 2.5:1 at minimum focus. In my opinion, trying to "quantify the quality" of a lens is of very limited value. It is possible to calculate an "ideal" MTF of an optical system from its design at any wavelength, aperture, and focus distance, so in theory, such a spreadsheet would be possible. However, to do so you'd need to know the exact design, positioning, and composition of each optical element. Alas, that information isn't readily available. Nor would would such a spreadsheet help on the subjective quality factors such as color rendition or bokeh.

I don't own a set of Kenko tubes, but here's a shot of a quarter I hobbled together at f/9.5 using my D800, a Pentax 645(!) 120mm macro lens, 65.5mm of extension and a Marumi 330 in 67mm. (Full shot and 100% crop):

Note that this combination is near or even slightly beyond the limits of what my medium-format rated copystand can support. At the end of the day, you may find that vibration, DOF, or diffraction limit quality more than optics.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, ( file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

franco1968 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 08:22 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 105 VR + tubes + 6T feedback needed"
In response to Reply # 1

N.D.I.P., CA

Thanks for the photos - these are really nice shots. Full shot looks sharp across the entire frame. Curious to know what kind of lighting you use for this shot?

Marumi 330 DHG is ~70$ (new) on eBay and 6T can be found for ~150$ (used).
Not sure if the 6T warrants the extra 80$ for used glass. Marumi looks like an excellent alternative! Really appreciate the suggestion.

Thanks,
Frank

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Mon 04-Feb-13 12:25 AM
9442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: 105 VR + tubes + 6T feedback needed"
In response to Reply # 2

Boston Area, US

Curious to know what kind of lighting you use for this shot?

I used two "Indoor Sunshine®" 95 CRI compact fluorescents in 5" reflectors and "shower cap" diffusers, each at about a 30 degree angle to vertical.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50420 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.