Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50419
View in linear mode

Subject: "Orchid Micros" Previous topic | Next topic
jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Sun 03-Feb-13 01:19 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Orchid Micros"

Hickory, US

I'm a new member to Nikonians. Shot some micros yesterday with my D800 and Nikkor 105 Micro. This is the first orchid I've ever been able to keep alive long enough to get it to re-bloom in consecutive years - no photographic accomplishment, but I'm proud. Comments and critique welcome. Thanks for looking.

Joel

There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Orchid Micros
jordivb Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
jmiller1948
04th Feb 2013
jordivb Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
jmiller1948
04th Feb 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
jordivb Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Feb 2013
jmiller1948
08th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Feb 2013
          Reply message Mac EXIF Software
jmiller1948
08th Feb 2013
               Reply message RE: Mac EXIF Software
jdroach Platinum Member
08th Feb 2013
rb4good Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
14th Feb 2013
Papa Smurf
15th Feb 2013
Hycgelac Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
nkcllewis Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
jmiller1948
09th Feb 2013
nkcllewis Silver Member
11th Feb 2013

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Mon 04-Feb-13 05:38 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 0

Manresa, ES

Welcome to Nikonians!

And congratulations for both your orchide and your pictures! They are great!
No doubt they would improve with focus stacking, keeping more of the flower in focus, but I find the detail and lighting impressive.

My wife is in a similar tessiture: she expects to have an orchid blooming two years consecutively, first time in our live! We still need to wait for a while. Keep your fingers crossed for her!

If she succeed, I might try fous stacking on her orchid then

Regards

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 04-Feb-13 09:46 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 1

Hickory, US

Thanks, Jordi. Good luck on getting yours to bloom.

Joel

There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 02:39 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 4

Manresa, ES

Hi Joël,

They did it! Our orchid is blooming! When the flower reaches a nice size I'll post some pictures in another thread!

Keep shooting!

Kind regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 06:42 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Very nice shots. I like the first shot best, lighting and detail.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 04-Feb-13 09:44 PM
#3. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 2

Hickory, US

>Very nice shots. I like the first shot best, lighting and
>detail.
>
>
>Victor
>
>My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Thanks. That's my favorite also.

Joel

Ernst Haas

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 05-Feb-13 03:24 PM
2223 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Hi Ernst,
You are doing well. I find orchids difficult to photograph. They are such magnificent flowers one almost expect them to be photogenic.
I also prefer the first shot. A few suggestions (I am not an expert)

1) 1 or 2 extra F-stops would have made a big difference to increase the depth of field (DOF).

2)A slight decrease in brightness or increase in black (referring to Lightroom) will remove any other color than black in the background.

3)Try to have the light slightly to the side to get a more 3-dimensional view.

Aart

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 04:45 PM
#6. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 5

Manresa, ES

I totally agree with Aart's comments.
IMHO the point is that orchids are 'deployed' in different planes.
Difficult to explain in my limited English, but I mean that an orchid image has interesting details in separate planes, ending up with a tremendous requirement for DOF often incompatible with macro or close-up.
That's why I talked about focus stacking. I want to tryit one day with an orchid.
Regards,

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 02:27 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Joel,

Welcome to Nikonians. I, too, like the first best. I think the comments offer some good suggestions. It is good to post some of the basic EXIF data besides lens and camera such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and set up. With that we can often enhance our comments with that info in mind. I think you are off to fine start. Best regards,

John

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 04:02 PM
#9. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 7

Hickory, US

Thanks, John. The EXIF data is embedded in the image file. I figured everybody would have EXIF software, but I can post it in the future if it'll help.

Thanks for looking.

Joel

Ernst Haas

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 04:52 PM
4515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 08-Feb-13 04:53 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

We usually ask from some basic information. While some of us do, often we don't manipulate looking for that data unless it is in the galleries where we can click on the EXIF link or we are actually thinking about downloading the image to provide some visual feedback. I happen to have nifty EXIF Viewer for Mac that I just drag a download image into and it read the data...but I have to do the download steps first.

Also,sometimes I have found that items are post without the metadata and then the time taken to attempt retrieve it was for naught. Many of us post simply camera, lens, f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, WB, exposure mode and sometimes a little about what post processing we did. We learn a lot from seeing what others do. That is the great experience we have at Nikonians. However, it is all about what people are comfortable doing.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 09:13 PM
#11. "Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 10

Hickory, US

John,

I'll be sure to supply more data with future posts. I also use a Mac. I use an EXIF software program called EXIF Everywhere. It has a Safari plugin that allows me to simply place the cursor over a photo and hold the "control" key to instantly display EXIF data. It's very handy and it's inexpensive ($15). It also has plugins for FireFox and Google Chrome. In case you're interested here is their website address:

http://www.exifeverywhere.com

Joel

Ernst Haas

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 10:16 PM
#12. "RE: Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 11

Milwaukee, US

It is amazing how we are creatures of habit and occasionally some ignorance. I read your post and thought, gee, I don't want to buy something more and then I tied something with my EXIF View. I could actual click and drag your orchid image into my EXIF Viewer and instantly saw the data in the pop up that EXIF Viewer initiates.

I have always used it by dragging an image from whatever location on my computer (not out of a webpage) an image might be. It was used mostly for my own images, but occasionally for others such as study groups, or if I was commenting on an image, etc.

I found it works with the metadata is there, but if a jpeg was saved for web and stripped of its metadata, when the image is dragged into mine, it doesn't show. Of course that makes sense. So now, I know that if a Nikonians's image or any image on the web has its metadata I now can drag it into my EXIF View and see the EXIF data. Live and learn...as they say. Cool! We are always learning new tricks and escaping old habits.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 11:25 PM
4183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 12

Rocky Hill, US

John,have you ever tried just right mouse click on an image to access the EXIF data? That is how I get to the data on a PC without having to drag and drop.I just right click on the image in someones post and select "view EXIF data". Would assume that would also be possible on a MAC.

Rick

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 01:20 PM
#17. "RE: Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 16

Milwaukee, US

It is not something I have observed as possible on my iMac nor my old XP MS Platforms.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Papa Smurf Registered since 16th Dec 2010Fri 15-Feb-13 04:28 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 17

Adair, US

Nor I. right clicking just brings up the standard Mac options and EXIF data is not one of them. I am running a post 2002 PowerPC with Tiger installed. If anyone knows a trick to view EXIF data without actually going to a program, please comment. One is never too old to learn a new trick form time to time.

Papa Smurf says that life is uncertain, eat dessert first!

Hycgelac Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2008Sun 17-Feb-13 02:53 AM
561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Mac EXIF Software"
In response to Reply # 18

Oxford, US

Click on an image once without opening it. Then click on COMMAND and I at the same time. It brings up what you want to know about the image you're curious about.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showmembers.php?si=Hycgelac&x=16&y=8&perpage=12&sort=2&cat=500&limit=&ppuser=&sl

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberSat 09-Feb-13 03:33 AM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

Joel, congratulations on the rebirth of these orchids. One comment, is that the images appear just a tiny bit soft so can we assume they were handheld? Congrats again, Kent in VA

"A poor worker always blames his tools" Anonymous

jmiller1948 Registered since 20th Jan 2013Sat 09-Feb-13 11:05 AM
#14. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 13
Sat 09-Feb-13 11:07 AM by jmiller1948

Hickory, US

Thanks, Kent. They were shot on a tripod. I think it's simply DOF even though shot at f/16. I focused on the yellow part in the "throat" of the blossoms. Would they have been better with a different focus point?

Joel

Ernst Haas

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberMon 11-Feb-13 06:44 PM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Orchid Micros"
In response to Reply # 14

Washington, US

Joel, since this was tripod shot, and assuming your technique is good and tripod and head are appropriate to the weight of lens/body, etc, then it is a focal plane issue. Focus stacking has been suggested.

Kent in VA

"A poor worker always blames his tools" Anonymous

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50419 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.