Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50409
View in linear mode

Subject: "Macro Flash Bracket Question" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 01:51 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro Flash Bracket Question"

Ottawa, CA

As you can see from my avatar, I am using a Lastolite ezybox with my Sb-900 to do macro and so far it works quite well.

I would however like to be abae to articulate it better off the camera hot shoe and perhaps move it closer to my subjects.

Besides using a lighting stand, I wonder if any one knows of a rig that would keep this on camera but permit articulation.

I would hope to use it handheld like I d with the lastolite.

I have tired the Manfrotto 233b but its too heavy, with too many thing to keep tight. But it gives some idea of what I am after.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

P.S. I just moved my domain to Smugmug and not all of my macro galleries are up yet.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Victor

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question
autoexer Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
SweetMK
07th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
SweetMK
07th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
07th Feb 2013

autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Mon 04-Feb-13 04:42 AM
908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 04-Feb-13 04:43 AM by autoexer

Waukesha, US

interesting defuser! I use a Wimberley Combo 2 Macro Combo Flash Bracket with a SC-17 shortened cord connected to a SB-30 flash.

great adjustment but may be too small for the size of your defuser

example using TTL flash control, Nikon FA, Velvia 50, Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AI-s, SB-30 off camera

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Df, FA, FG, F

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 09:43 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 04-Feb-13 06:43 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Too small would be an issue! the soft box is 8.6 in by 8.6 inches, 22cm x 22cm. Does that sound too big? I am using it with a Sb-900, at the moment.

My alternative is on camera for handheld, use a magic arm on tripod.

What would be idea if the wimberley, assuming size fits, as it would work with both and maybe even my kirk focusing rail!

Grateful any suggestions.

Victor

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 06:50 PM
#3. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

I spoke to Wimberley, they have a sweet try it first deal in the USA, not Canada, its all special order here with no returns. Wimberley suggested a purchase with the possibility of return t them, but the shipping and taxes make this much more expensive than buying local. I also found a site that was more explicit on the length of the arms, and after looking at that it was clear the softbox would not work. The kirk focusing rail would work.

Had a look at magic arms, too heavy.

I am now in a dialogue with Kirk Enterprises. We will see where that goes otherwise, I will use a studio stand and PWs

The lastolite, while large for macro, with the flash diffuser on my Sb-900 is triple diffused light. Very very nice. I can use gaffer tape to make the soft box smaller, if needed but I have not had to yet.

Finding a solution to hanging it off the camera is proving interesting.

Victor

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 10:31 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 07-Feb-13 10:34 AM by SweetMK

US

Have you considered just hand holding it?

I built a DIY flash bracket for a MUCH bigger soft box than you show and have had great results just hand holding it.

(Hold the flash in one hand, the camera in the other hand)

http://www.sweetmk.com/2012/12/diy-how-to-mount-speedlight-to-a-softbox/

I mostly use a SC-17 cord to fire my SB-700, but, lately I am warming up to using the CLS wireless system.

If I had a soft box like yours, I would try it with my RPS Digital Flash Bracket.

I got mine from KEH for about $9. It was dedicated to a different camera, but, that just meant the remote shutter release does not function. That is no big deal to me. I do not use it for weddings!! LOL

I am sure the RPS Digital Flash Bracket with a mini ball head for mounting the flash could be of some assistance to you.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 07-Feb-13 11:49 AM
#5. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

Yes I have used it hand held but not or macro with a long lens and extension tubes. I also have studio stands it works with at home. I like your solution, for everything but macro. I need the box to get very very close my subjects.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Victor

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 05:15 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Yes I have used it hand held but not or macro with a long
>lens and extension tubes. I also have studio stands it works
>with at home. I like your solution, for everything but macro.
>I need the box to get very very close my subjects.
>
>Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>Victor
>
>My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

From what I have read about a soft box is that you have two choices:

With a small soft box, get very close
or
With a larger soft box, be further away

to get the same results.

The position of the soft box determines the "relative size" of the light source as compared to the subject.

So, the answer may be a larger soft box rather than a bracket.

The larger soft box would cost less than a system to hold the Lastolite close to the object being photographed.

Here is my example of a large (17" x 17") soft box pic:

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/411793

The soft box was well over a foot away from the object being photographed.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 07-Feb-13 05:45 PM
#7. "RE: Macro Flash Bracket Question"
In response to Reply # 6

Ottawa, CA

You are absolutely correct about size and light, but I am trying to take photos of things about centimeter or less in size. The lastolite is double diffused and gives great light, if anything getting something similar but smaller in my case would work, but I love the light I get from the small lastolite.

Regards,

Victor

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50409 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.