Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50396
View in linear mode

Subject: "Floral Double Exposures" Previous topic | Next topic
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 08:05 PM
4133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Floral Double Exposures"

Milwaukee, US

During the winter I experiment with flowers doing all sorts of things. Some good, some not so good, and some yet to be determined. Here are three images that are a little over the top and yet I like them. There is nothing like experimentation when dealing with flowers. At some risk, I ask what do you think?

#1. Roses in Motion -- Taken with Nikon D600, Nikkor 28-300mm at 300mm, ISO 25600, -0.7EV, 2sec, f/36, Shutter Priority, Auto WB, Flash, Breaking all the rules, moving the camera during a single exposure to suggest a double exposure, noise reduction and softening with other enhancements in Lightroom 4.3.

#2. Luminous Sepia Rose -- Same data above however with use of one of my many Lightroom presets and some cropping.

#3. Roses in Double Exposure -- Taken with Nikon D600, Nikkor 28-300mm at 300mm, ISO 25600, Shutter Priority, -0.7EV, Flash, f/36, 1sec, Auto WB, moving the cameras during two frame multiple exposure, and used Lightroom 4.3 for softening, noise reduction, etc.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Floral Double Exposures
janicev Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
02nd Feb 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
13th Mar 2013
bobpilot Silver Member
13th Mar 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
13th Mar 2013

janicev Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2009Sat 02-Feb-13 03:58 AM
502 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Duvall, US

I really like number 1. Moody and dreamy with luscious colors.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 02-Feb-13 10:32 PM
4133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 1

Milwaukee, US

Janice,

Thank you for your comment. I am glad you like the image.

John

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 02:09 AM
3169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

I like the concept. hmmm, I seem to search for something sharp;. This my just be a carrry-over obsession from wildlife and sports. It might not be necessary here. Then again, the images might indeed have a sharp section and I am not finding it due to the other factors

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 03:19 AM
#4. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 3

Milwaukee, US

It is about an artistic intent and looking at new ways in seeing. I don't pretend to have mastery of artistry options, but it is interesting to do soft sometimes with flowers. Take a look at what Tony Sweet (a Nikon camera user) or Kathleen Clemons does with flowers. Their websites are full of quite interesting approaches. In fact Tony introduces double exposure and motion onto his images quite often for special effect and pushing the boundaries (1) www.tonysweet.com and (2) www.kathleenclemonsphotography.com. It opens us up to new ways of seeing. So I am experimenting.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Wed 13-Mar-13 03:23 AM
3169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 4

Washington, US

i agree, i hope you didn't take my reply as a negative comment.

Bob

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 11:53 AM
#6. "RE: Floral Double Exposures"
In response to Reply # 5

Milwaukee, US

Not at all, Bob. I think you are just searching to determine if it works for you. I often see images that don't work at first and then later on, I get the "oh, not so bad" and then other times, "that doesn't work at all." I think it is great to experiment and occasionally someone challenges that, likes it or doesn't like or are ambivalent. I appreciate the dialogue.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50396 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.