Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50280
View in linear mode

Subject: "Playing with tilt" Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 18-Jan-13 01:01 PM
6282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Playing with tilt"
Fri 18-Jan-13 05:54 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

This is probably old hat to all of you experienced macro shooters, but I've just been playing with an old Hartblei 80-mm tilt/rotate (no shift) lens I bought a long time ago as a learning tool. I set it up today with a 12-mm Kenko extension tube and a cheap Phoenix ring flash to play around and get some sense of the effect of the tilt capability.

Here is one of the tests I did. Both shots are at f/8.

Zero degrees of tilt:

Eight degrees of tilt:

I'm not sure why it is that, while the corners of the object are more in-focus in the 8-degree shot, the center is less sharp. Then again, this is not the world's greatest lens, so maybe I'm seeing odd lens aberrations?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 18-Jan-13 11:04 PM
2969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Playing with tilt"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Looks good to me Jon,
Never heard of the lens before, more exoensive than I would have thought
Dont know about the edges in 2, there's always stacking I guess
I'm suspecting that even with tilt, DOF may be playing a part ont the edges?
Great image either way!
Regards
Gary

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 19-Jan-13 01:44 AM
6282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Playing with tilt"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

Thanks, Gary. Actually, I don't think they make this lens any more. Now they offer tilt-shift lenses that are considerably more expensive than the tilt-only lens I bought a few years ago.

I think I've figured out what's going on with the focus, and you're right to point at DOF. When you tilt the lens, the in-focus region becomes wedge-shaped and widens as you get farther away from the camera. I think the wedge is simply too narrow at the front of the object, passing below the front top of it. I'll have to play with it some more -- interesting stuff!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Micro, Macro & Close-up (Public) topic #50280 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.